Kia Optima Forums banner
41 - 60 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Optima 2014 SX Turbo
90 Posts
Great news!!!! It fits the 2.4!!!!! Took 30 minutes to install.
hey guys i just want to confirm i install this correctly. i dont want to have everything apart, and not know. Maybe a newb question but thats me ?
the spacer comes with a black o ring attached. according to my pic, which way does it face? Black arrow (right side)or Orange arrow (left side)

thanks!
Auto part Tire Wheel Automotive wheel system Vehicle

·
Premium Member
2012 Kia Optima SX-T
1,458 Posts
hey guys i just want to confirm i install this correctly. i dont want to have everything apart, and not know. Maybe a newb question but thats me 
the spacer comes with a black o ring attached. according to my pic, which way does it face? Black arrow (right side)or Orange arrow (left side)

thanks!
View attachment 197001
Black Arrow is correct. Once you take this apart, look at the Throttle body and also the black intake manifold. You will see the O-ring is on the black intake manifold. Think of the throttle body spacer as an extension of the black manifold mating up to the throttle body itself. It needs to seal up in the same way and orientation of the O-rings. You'll see what I mean when you take it apart.

·
Your K5 Optima Vendor
Tesla Model X P100D
28,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
hey guys i just want to confirm i install this correctly. i dont want to have everything apart, and not know. Maybe a newb question but thats me 

thanks!
View attachment 197001
Hey Darcy, I responded to your email on this as well, but William is correct in his response below. There is only one way to install as you could not install it with the 2 sides with o-rings facing each other.

Please let us know if you have any other questions we can help with.

Black Arrow is correct. Once you take this apart, look at the Throttle body and also the black intake manifold. You will see the O-ring is on the black intake manifold. Think of the throttle body spacer as an extension of the black manifold mating up to the throttle body itself. It needs to seal up in the same way and orientation of the O-rings. You'll see what I mean when you take it apart.
Thank you sir, appreciate you helping out!

·
Registered
2014 Optima 2014 SX Turbo
90 Posts
thanks for your quick replies. i havent got to it yet. today i put on my luxon strut bar and had to deal with it vibrating with my injen air intake. after that i went to take a look around to see what i have to do to add the TBS. (not having any experience) i tend to still be really meticulous when it comes to these things. i do alot of reading and looking before i tackle it. first impression was "wtf" how am i gonna work around all these obstacles lol. every video ive seen on youtube for other cars, the throttle body seems to be in a way better position. i saw those caps and had never seen anything like that and had no clue what they were. came on here and noticed a few other posts about the same thing. i guess they are safegaurds and have to be twisted off? hopefully i get to it on the weekend. dont have much daylight once i get home.

·
Your K5 Optima Vendor
Tesla Model X P100D
28,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
thanks for your quick replies. i havent got to it yet. today i put on my luxon strut bar and had to deal with it vibrating with my injen air intake. after that i went to take a look around to see what i have to do to add the TBS. (not having any experience) i tend to still be really meticulous when it comes to these things. i do alot of reading and looking before i tackle it. first impression was "wtf" how am i gonna work around all these obstacles lol. every video ive seen on youtube for other cars, the throttle body seems to be in a way better position. i saw those caps and had never seen anything like that and had no clue what they were. came on here and noticed a few other posts about the same thing. i guess they are safegaurds and have to be twisted off? hopefully i get to it on the weekend. dont have much daylight once i get home.
You're very welcome. The installation is too difficult of all of this product. If you Google "Kia Optima Throttle Body Spacer DIY" you will see that there is a full walk-through installation guide on how to install the product. The installation guide is showing an older version of the product that we sell, but don't worry the installation process is the exact same. If you run into issues, remember we are always a phone call, email, or PM away. ;)

·
Registered
2012 Kia 2012 KIA optima sx turbocharged
241 Posts
Got my throttle body spacer installed today finally had the time. I didn't tighten up one of the bolts enough after checking them like four times. But after first test drive loud whistling noise coming from engine. But as soon as I posted the issue on the forum I had replies fast. Alll said loose bolt. And indeed it was a loose bolt. Tighten the bolt up drove again perfect. Another great product from the K5 store. Thanks all

·
Your K5 Optima Vendor
Tesla Model X P100D
28,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
Got my throttle body spacer installed today finally had the time. I didn't tighten up one of the bolts enough after checking them like four times. But after first test drive loud whistling noise coming from engine. But as soon as I posted the issue on the forum I had replies fast. Alll said loose bolt. And indeed it was a loose bolt. Tighten the bolt up drove again perfect. Another great product from the K5 store. Thanks all
Awesome. very happy to hear you got it installed. Yeah you definitely need to make sure everything is nice and tight when you install it, otherwise you can have a boost leak and CEL which is never fun.

How long did it end up taking you to install it from start to finish?

·
Registered
241 Posts
It took me start to finish about a hour and a half. That includes the taking the hose off again to check bolts etc. But it's definitely not a super hard job as long as you have the right tools. Glad i had multiple sets of Allen wrenches having the different sizes helped me get the bolts tightened down correctly.

·
Your K5 Optima Vendor
Tesla Model X P100D
28,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
It took me start to finish about a hour and a half. That includes the taking the hose off again to check bolts etc. But it's definitely not a super hard job as long as you have the right tools. Glad i had multiple sets of Allen wrenches having the different sizes helped me get the bolts tightened down correctly.
That's not bad at all. I know the 2.4 Optima is much easier to install this on then the 2.0 because of where it's installed too. However happy to hear you were able to get it installed relatively easy.

hey david, do you know when you will have the red TBS back in stock?

Thanks
Hey there, yes they should be back in stock mid week next week, or sooner possibly. ;)

·
Registered
2014 Optima 2014 Optima SX Turbo
93 Posts
Ok I'm in the middle of putting the throttle body spacer on my 2012 Optima sx. Well I'm working on it. How do you actually get those caps off of the hose clamps. I was able to loosen them with pliers but I know there's a 8 mm bolt underneath those caps. I've tried prying them off but no luck. I haven't tried pulling the hose off throttle body to much yet because I'm scared it may break the hose or clamp

Im having the same problem, ive used pliers, flat head screw drivers and cant get those caps off! Im thinking i may have to cut those clamps off and buy new ones.

·
Premium Member
2012 Kia Optima SX-T
1,458 Posts
Im having the same problem, ive used pliers, flat head screw drivers and cant get those caps off! Im thinking i may have to cut those clamps off and buy new ones.
They just clamp on and if you use a pair of pliers and get a grip on it from the side and work it up from side-to-side to loosen and remove it (take it off). Don't know why KIA did this but while scary to take off, not that bad.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I didn't get the caps off my clamps until I took the throttle body air intake hose off. I was then able to use a pliers then grab the caps and pull as hard as I could. I had new clamps I bought in case I needed them. Cutting them off is a good option

·
Registered
241 Posts
Also the clamp that is on the throttle body itself is actually pushed through a rubber guide on the bottom side. You'll see it once you have that throttle body hose off. I was able to loosen both clamps with my pliers and or needle nose with the caps still on.

·
Your K5 Optima Vendor
Tesla Model X P100D
28,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
Were you able to get it installed?

They just clamp on and if you use a pair of pliers and get a grip on it from the side and work it up from side-to-side to loosen and remove it (take it off). Don't know why KIA did this but while scary to take off, not that bad.
I didn't get the caps off my clamps until I took the throttle body air intake hose off. I was then able to use a pliers then grab the caps and pull as hard as I could. I had new clamps I bought in case I needed them. Cutting them off is a good option
Also the clamp that is on the throttle body itself is actually pushed through a rubber guide on the bottom side. You'll see it once you have that throttle body hose off. I was able to loosen both clamps with my pliers and or needle nose with the caps still on.
Thank you guys for the help with this. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2013 K5
623 Posts
Great news!!!! It fits the 2.4!!!!! Took 30 minutes to install.
Went to install the body spacer this morning and had some trouble. I have a 2013 LX 2.4L and the bolts that come with the spacer only one did work and went through all the way the other three once you start to thread them they do not go all the way through as it was hitting part of the manifold piece in other words they are too long. I need to see if i can find some shorter bolts, wish me luck. How did you get yours to thread all the way K5NOOB?

41 - 60 of 66 Posts