Kia Optima Forums banner

21 - 40 of 67 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,431 Posts
How is the install on this if you don't mind me asking? I'm not a great engine work kind of guy
Pretty easy. You remove a few parts to get to your throttle body. You remove your throttle body from the manifold and insert this spacer between the two. Then reassemble.

·
Your K5 Optima Vendor
28,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
How is the install on this if you don't mind me asking? I'm not a great engine work kind of guy
Pretty easy. You remove a few parts to get to your throttle body. You remove your throttle body from the manifold and insert this spacer between the two. Then reassemble.
Yep exactly very straightforward install.

·
Your K5 Optima Vendor
28,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Nice thanks guys will look into this!
Welcome. ;)

I have never understood why won't they make these for the 2.4?
Actually, I am about 95% this item will in fact the 2.4 model the same as the 2.0 model. I believe a forum member confirmed the part numbers are the same on the 2.0 & 2.4 from Kia.

If this is the case, and you want to order it from us, after you confirm fitment is the same, we will refund you back 15% of the purchase price. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
32 Posts
What would this actually do for the N/A engine?
The throttle body spacer permits more air than usual to go into the engine. Thus, the engine does not have to work as hard in order to get the correct amount of air into the combustion chamber. Will such a small amount of air make a noticeable difference? Probably not, but technically speaking it does help even a NA car.

·
Your K5 Optima Vendor
28,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Great news!!!! It fits the 2.4!!!!! Took 30 minutes to install.
Awesome thank you for test fitting. Added your pics to the site and to the original post. :thumbsup:

What would this actually do for the N/A engine?
I personally feel a slightly better throttle response, but then again it could be the placebo effect.
The throttle body spacer permits more air than usual to go into the engine. Thus, the engine does not have to work as hard in order to get the correct amount of air into the combustion chamber. Will such a small amount of air make a noticeable difference? Probably not, but technically speaking it does help even a NA car.
Exactly, the power gains may be minimal, but they are there nonetheless.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Ok I'm in the middle of putting the throttle body spacer on my 2012 Optima sx. Well I'm working on it. How do you actually get those caps off of the hose clamps. I was able to loosen them with pliers but I know there's a 8 mm bolt underneath those caps. I've tried prying them off but no luck. I haven't tried pulling the hose off throttle body to much yet because I'm scared it may break the hose or clamp

·
Premium Member
1,409 Posts
Ok I'm in the middle of putting the throttle body spacer on my 2012 Optima sx. Well I'm working on it. How do you actually get those caps off of the hose clamps. I was able to loosen them with pliers but I know there's a 8 mm bolt underneath those caps. I've tried prying them off but no luck. I haven't tried pulling the hose off throttle body to much yet because I'm scared it may break the hose or clamp
If you are talking about the big worm gear bands on the IC piping, you just pry the caps off with a flat blade screwdriver and/or grab the cap with pliers and work it off. Scary at first since I've never seen those types before either, but it really is no big deal. You don't have to put the caps back on unless you want to (assuming you've not replace the OEM worm gear clamps with T-Bolt clamps).

Question: Are you considering doing the "coolant hose" bypass that is on the Throttle Body? I did so and highly recommend it (I live in the SouthEast USA, so no issue). Also, now might be a good time to clean the throttle body with CRC cleaner and a rag since you are already "in there".

·
Registered
241 Posts
Ok thank you very very much lol. Im at Lowe's right now grabbed some new clamps. When I get home I'll grab those caps with a pliers and crank on those suckers. I don't really know about the coolant line your talking about. But I definitely want to utilize one of the holes for a boost gauge

·
Registered
241 Posts
Also so once I get the throttle body off. Yes I will clean it with cleaner do I have to worry about the gasket on the throttle body after I take it off. I think it's a rubber reusable one?

·
Premium Member
1,409 Posts
Also so once I get the throttle body off. Yes I will clean it with cleaner do I have to worry about the gasket on the throttle body after I take it off. I think it's a rubber reusable one?
The rubber O-ring should stay on the plastic manifold (I seem to remember). Keep the CRC cleaner away from that just in case. Be VERY careful with the electronic connector on the throttle body when you take it off. It has simple plastic keepers on both the top and bottom side. Hard to reach (for me) and easy to break off which is not a desired outcome. I suggest you spray the rag and use it to wipe the throttle body bore and plate.

The Coolant Delete I mentioned has to do with the two rubber coolant lines that run to the throttle body itself. They simple circulate 180° F water around the throttle body to keep it from potentially icing up in the winter. It has the bad effect of heating up the throttle body bore to that temperature which in turn heats up the air you just attempted to cool down coming from the front mounted air-to-air inter-cooler. I removed the two lines and with a brass union (Lowes), connected them together, effectively bypassing the throttle body without blocking off the coolant flow. See the forums for more details.
A cooler throttle body allows for cooler air to be used in the engine which can make for more power and efficiency.

---------- Post added at 05:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:47 PM ----------

Ok thank you very very much lol. Im at Lowe's right now grabbed some new clamps. When I get home I'll grab those caps with a pliers and crank on those suckers. I don't really know about the coolant line your talking about. But I definitely want to utilize one of the holes for a boost gauge
Good use for the TBS! You can also use this as a source for vacuum for a different/better Blow-off valve. The TBS should have two tapped holes for such a usage model. Good luck!

21 - 40 of 67 Posts