Kia Optima Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I'm a newbie here, i bought my K5 LX about 5 weeks ago. I really like it so far, I put on 35-50k miles a year and I'm about 4,000 miles in so far. The sound system in the car is OK, a little underwhelming but not horrible. This is the first Android Auto equipped car i've had and the integration with my Samsung Note is great. I was thinking about swapping out the speakers in the doors but I don't see how to get the panels off. Also, wondered if the audio head unit has RCA pre-amp outputs. I don't want to remove the factory unit but may consider an amplifier. I've called a few installers locally and I don't trust that any of them know what they are doing since none have even seen a K5 yet.

Any advice or online resources on audio upgrades for my '21 K5?

·
Your K5 Optima Vendor
2020 Audi R8 V10+ & Tesla Model X P100D
28,999 Posts
Hey there, welcome to the Optima Forums.

Congrats on getting your new 2021 Kia K5.

I don't know anything about audio upgrades for the new K5, not sure if anyone does.

Hopefully more and more things will be coming out for the newest models.

-David
K5 Optima Store

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey there, welcome to the Optima Forums.

Congrats on getting your new 2021 Kia K5.

I don't know anything about audio upgrades for the new K5, not sure if anyone does.

Hopefully more and more things will be coming out for the newest models.

-David
K5 Optima Store
Thank you. Even without audio knowledge is there some kind of online service manual for these cars?

·
Registered
8 Posts
The LX only has the base audio installation. You'd almost have to do a complete system replacement in order to get much better sound. The premium audio is only available as an extra package and only in the EX and GT trims. That's a really poor decision by Kia in my opinion. Yet another would be the fact that you cannot have AWD in either of those trims. Way to kill potential sales, Kia!

·
Registered
2015 Optima 2015 optima
15 Posts
Add an inline amplifier. Alpine has one, can use the stock head unit or not. I did it in my 15 (with an after market head unit) and it is surprisingly loud and clear. I also did 3.5” speakers on the dash but that’s not your issue.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Add an inline amplifier. Alpine has one, can use the stock head unit or not. I did it in my 15 (with an after market head unit) and it is surprisingly loud and clear. I also did 3.5” speakers on the dash but that’s not your issue.
THanks for the advice. I'll check it out.

Also, anyone know how to get the door panels off?

·
Registered
2015 Optima 2015 optima
15 Posts
cruthfield.com may have something
Anyone having issues with the apple car play cutting in and out?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, my Android auto drops out once in a while. I figured it's from my 2+ year old samsung note 9. It's just a minor annoyance to me at least.

·
Registered
2015 Optima 2015 optima
15 Posts
Yeah, my Android auto drops out once in a while. I figured it's from my 2+ year old samsung note 9. It's just a minor annoyance to me at least.
Its so weird. She has a new XR and it cuts out a bunch. My iPhone 7+ is slow as molasses on it.

·
Registered
2012 Kia Optima
2 Posts
The LX only has the base audio installation. You'd almost have to do a complete system replacement in order to get much better sound. The premium audio is only available as an extra package and only in the EX and GT trims. That's a really poor decision by Kia in my opinion. Yet another would be the fact that you cannot have AWD in either of those trims. Way to kill potential sales, Kia!
And no homelink! What the **** is that about? Can't even get it as an option. I love my homelink, and I hate having garage door openers clipped to my visor. Another bad decision.

·
Registered
462 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Optima 2015 optima
15 Posts
Wife has the ex. Pressed the little steering wheel button for lane keep assists I guess. Does pretty good as a semi auto type of self driving situation. Does make you out your hands on the wheel and you have to brake obviously but it was taking me around corners and everything

·
Registered
4 Posts
And no homelink! What the **** is that about? Can't even get it as an option. I love my homelink, and I hate having garage door openers clipped to my visor. Another bad decision.
I'm planning to add the Auto-Dimming Mirror w/HomeLink, it's available as an accessory (L3F62 AU000) on several websites.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts