Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone I’m interested in getting your experience and expertise advice. thank you in advance.

Okay I recently bought my wife the new Mazda CX-5 with the Diesel engine so I’m taking over the Kia sx which has the brand new long block engine recall done in it. I’m wanting to start making mods on it I’ve got a grand to spend on the first set what does everybody recommend i get or do first.?

Ps I’m totally new to gas and turbo I’ve ran diesel only which I’ve got a ram 3500 that’s just for hauling and work so this is a new language for me.

·
Your K5 Optima Vendor
Tesla Model X P100D
28,678 Posts
Hey @MTKen11sx welcome to the Optima Forums!!

Congrats on picking up your 2011 Kia Optima SX turbo.

We have tons of different performance mods available that you can add on that are all bolt on parts and really easy to install. I would recommend taking a look at the different Performance products that we carry on our website here:

Performance Product Collection - K5 Optima Store

As @Turbonut mentioned above, we do carry a plug and play tuner chip that is extremely easy to install and can make up to 50hp when running 93 octane.

if you have $1000 budget to start with, I would recommend going with the following items:

1) 2011-2015 Kia Optima - Injen Intake - K5 Optima Store

2) LAP3 Uncle Chip Performance Tune - K5 Optima Store

3) HKS M45XL Spark Plugs - K5 Optima Store

Feel free to reach out directly with any questions you have, as we are more than happy to point you in the right direction. [email protected]

-David
K5 Optima Store

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hello everyone I’m interested in getting your experience and expertise advice. thank you in advance.

Okay I recently bought my wife the new Mazda CX-5 with the Diesel engine so I’m taking over the Kia sx which has the brand new long block engine recall done in it. I’m wanting to start making mods on it I’ve got a grand to spend on the first set what does everybody recommend i get or do first.?

Ps I’m totally new to gas and turbo I’ve ran diesel only which I’ve got a ram 3500 that’s just for hauling and work so this is a new language for me.

·
Registered
2 Posts
hi @MTKen11sx welcome to the Optima Forums!!...Congrats on picking up your 2011 Kia Optima SX turbo.

If you anticipating additional mods, I'd go with the tune, but for a quick and easy increase, stick with the chip.

·
Registered
2012 Black SX Prem. & Tech.
2,194 Posts
OK let me chime in about a power "upgrade" you might be able to do on your SX. This worked very well for me and you might be in the same situation.

Bottom line: are you sure your turbo is adjusted to give you the proper amount of boost? If not, please adjust it (takes about 20 minutes, you just need a single 10mm wrench and an OBDII reader or multimeter).

My situation: I had the shop perform a recall where they replaced the oil lines to the turbo. Somehow my car came back and, I didn't think to double-check the turbo setting. The car felt OK because I was driving conservatively and not doing any fun accelerations. Well, after a few months I tried and thought huh, the engine doesn't feel as strong, I guess I just remember it differently.

Nope, I was right, the shop somehow caused my turbo wastegate to be under-adjusted, so I wasn't getting the proper amount of boost. There is a guide for how to check the turbo's wastegate voltage to see if your wastegate is properly adjusted. The hard way is to use a pin to probe a yellow wire. The easy way is to get a bluetooth ODBII dongle, connect it to your car, and use the Torque android app to just read the wastegate voltage. It should be around 4.20 V if I remember correctly, but mine was more like 4.30 V. The point is you check what your voltage is, and the guide explains how many turns you need to do to a linkage in order to adjust the voltage. For me, I needed to tighten the linkage by 1.5 turns. But the point is the adjustments are in half-turn increments, so it's not a fine science, you just look up how many half turns to get the voltage in spec.

Anyway, my point is, I had forgotten how nice the car pulls when the turbo is properly adjusted. I run slightly larger diameter tires, so my car can't peel out as easily as the stock size. But just as a test, I was rolling along doing about 15 mph and hit the gas and sure enough the tires spun, on brand new dry asphalt and while I was already rolling, not from a standing stop. I couldn't do that when my turbo was out of spec.

But really, this is something that might be an issue with your car, ESPECIALLY since they messed around with the engine replacement, maybe they also went conservative on your turbo setting. I don't know how much horsepower it is, but it's noticeable.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts