Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning:

I go by the screen name icem1in1. The SO and I are looking at a 2016 Kia Optima SXL that she really likes. I was hoping to get some opinions on this model in regards to reliability and known issues. This would be our first GDI engine (it will be turbo) and am interested on what maintenance is required, and if it is a durable engine that could last.

The test drive was great, but it was just a test drive. Would like to get a feel for what living with the Kia Optima is like.

Thank you for any input.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,387 Posts
Welcome, but durable and last can't be used in the same sentence when speaking of the 2.0T.
Having said that, there is a good point in that the engine has a lifetime warranty because of the ill engineered GDI engine, however all updates & recalls need to be done to have this warranty. Updates aren't shown on the NHTSA site, but a dealer would know given the VIN. The 2016 SX dropped 30 HP from the previous years, but to most, who would care, but the car is sporty and as with any car quirks do pop up once in a while.
Maintenance oil/filter 5-30 changes 5k miles, plugs 45k miles, rest similar to other cars.
If hot where you're located, make certain the car hasn't been run, get in start and drive with A/C set low and check to see if cold air within a minute, and also when idling. The compressors on these cars have a habit of a valve going haywire.
Good luck & enjoy.

I did want to add an engine replacement example-our '11 2.0T engine was replaced 12/19 172,000 miles, no charge plus a free loaner.

·
Your K5 Optima Vendor
Tesla Model X P100D
28,677 Posts
Welcome to the Optima Forums @icem1in1

There is lots of information on this forum that will help you make your decision.

I would recommend using the search function as you can lookup almost anything you can imagine here.

Let us know if you have any specific questions we can help answer for you.

-David
K5 Optima Store

1 - 3 of 3 Posts