Kia Optima Forums banner

61 - 77 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
2012 SX
1,898 Posts
Chris you'll need to get in contact with me off of the forum. I am pretty positive this issue is a result of the installation and not the product itself. Regardless, you know if there is an issue with the product, I'd get it straightened out for you. Let's get it figured out first for you though. Send me an email or give me a call and we can discuss your options.
David - got your message. Wanted to jump out there real quick again and test this. Please watch, and then give me a call so we can discuss.

·
Registered
2012 SX
1,898 Posts
Chris- Did you install the knob while the gear shift was in neutral?
Hey Scott - I have my console out and am trying this again. Would you mind specifying what you mean by install the knob when in neutral. I believe you're saying to plug the knob into the jumper board when the car is in neutral. Is that correct?

What should I do immediately following plugging it in?

If I recall correctly, and assume as well, as soon as I plug it in, my car electronics are all going to turn on (dash, interior, GPS, etc), just not the ignition. Please let me know and then I'll report back.

·
Registered
2012 SX
1,898 Posts
I want to give an update here, because this now works perfect. I followed Scott's and Munky's advice after unplugging the battery last night and leaving it overnight. In my specific circumstance (2012 SX w/Tech & Premium Tour pkg's), this knob required me to be in NEUTRAL when I plugged it in to the jumper circuit board.

When I first started this on Wed p.m., I had plugged the knob in in PARK (as I believe Munky had done in his video at 23:27 unless he changed gear positions when the camera was off), and my car computer tripped out consistently (the videos show what happened) each time I'd try something different. The computer must have "memory" of how it was initially plugged in because even after I plugged it in in NEUTRAL it still didn't work on Wednesday. I had to unplug the battery to refresh the car. Munky also has an SX, but a 2011 with different packages, so these little factors clearly come into play when plugging in the knob with regard to gear position.

Also, at 24:10 of the video, Munky makes reference to the knob height, to not push down too hard. That's totally accurate, however I would strongly recommend that after you get the shifter mechanism swapped, and the shift housing bolted back down to the car, to install the knob at that point. Slowly, but strongly, push the knob down until it clicks (the tabs inside the knob snap into place in the notches on the shaft). At that point, from the passenger seat, look at the pin that goes up and down when you depress the knob button. You will need to push forward the black brake piece on the shift housing to test this. What you're looking for is to make sure that pin pushes up on the sensor flap to tell the car you're in PARK. Although I didn't have this issue, I recommend doing this test now before you get the console back installed. This way you can be sure the knob height is right before you start putting the car back together and realize the sensor isn't activating for you. Measure twice, cut once ;).

On a personal note, I completely ripped out the little black plastic ring at the top of the shift boot (not the chrome collar on the knob). Can do what you want, but I found that ring to be troublesome, pinching the wires, stripped some insulation even when you push the knob down. Without that ring, it's looser around the wires and also easier to get the plug down the boot. Since it's a shorter shifter now, the boot ends up pushing right against the knob anyway so the ring isn't really necessary.

Would be happy to answer questions if you PM me.

·
Premium Member
4,415 Posts
Glad it worked out for you Chris ;), SIGH after seeing all you guys doing this mod made me drooling big time but even Chris struggled with it then there's no way I can tackle this mod myself even though Munky video are self explanatory :(. Man I wish I have some good technical skill about this $hit or I'll jump on this mod in a heartbeat :D.

·
Registered
2012 SX
1,898 Posts
Glad it worked out for you Chris ;), SIGH after seeing all you guys doing this mod made me drooling big time but even Chris struggled with it then there's no way I can tackle this mod myself even though Munky video are self explanatory :(. Man I wish I have some good technical skill about this $hit or I'll jump on this mod in a heartbeat :D.
I had the install perfect the very first try, I just didn't know I needed to be in NEUTRAL the first time I plugged it in. That piece of info made all my future efforts on Wednesday useless. The computer needed to be reset. I'm guessing the gear you need to be in depends on the year of your Optima and the packages you have.

Joe - I helped with the 5050 DRL mod. If you did that, you can do ANY mod. Give me a call.

·
Premium Member
4,415 Posts
I had the install perfect the very first try, I just didn't know I needed to be in NEUTRAL the first time I plugged it in. That piece of info made all my future efforts on Wednesday useless. The computer needed to be reset. I'm guessing the gear you need to be in depends on the year of your Optima and the packages you have.

Joe - I helped with the 5050 DRL mod. If you did that, you can do ANY mod. Give me a call.
Thanks brother, I got your number so if I ever decided to do this mod then I know who to call ;).

·
Former Administrator
2011 K5 Turbo
6,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
I want to give an update here, because this now works perfect. I followed Scott's and Munky's advice after unplugging the battery last night and leaving it overnight. In my specific circumstance (2012 SX w/Tech & Premium Tour pkg's), this knob required me to be in NEUTRAL when I plugged it in to the jumper circuit board.

When I first started this on Wed p.m., I had plugged the knob in in PARK (as I believe Munky had done in his video at 23:27 unless he changed gear positions when the camera was off), and my car computer tripped out consistently (the videos show what happened) each time I'd try something different. The computer must have "memory" of how it was initially plugged in because even after I plugged it in in NEUTRAL it still didn't work on Wednesday. I had to unplug the battery to refresh the car. Munky also has an SX, but a 2011 with different packages, so these little factors clearly come into play when plugging in the knob with regard to gear position.

Also, at 24:10 of the video, Munky makes reference to the knob height, to not push down too hard. That's totally accurate, however I would strongly recommend that after you get the shifter mechanism swapped, and the shift housing bolted back down to the car, to install the knob at that point. Slowly, but strongly, push the knob down until it clicks (the tabs inside the knob snap into place in the notches on the shaft). At that point, from the passenger seat, look at the pin that goes up and down when you depress the knob button. You will need to push forward the black brake piece on the shift housing to test this. What you're looking for is to make sure that pin pushes up on the sensor flap to tell the car you're in PARK. Although I didn't have this issue, I recommend doing this test now before you get the console back installed. This way you can be sure the knob height is right before you start putting the car back together and realize the sensor isn't activating for you. Measure twice, cut once ;).

On a personal note, I completely ripped out the little black plastic ring at the top of the shift boot (not the chrome collar on the knob). Can do what you want, but I found that ring to be troublesome, pinching the wires, stripped some insulation even when you push the knob down. Without that ring, it's looser around the wires and also easier to get the plug down the boot. Since it's a shorter shifter now, the boot ends up pushing right against the knob anyway so the ring isn't really necessary.

Would be happy to answer questions if you PM me.
Lots of good information here, thanks for sharing - and I'm glad you got it working!

·
Registered
2012 SX
1,898 Posts
Glad u got it to work!!!!
Lots of good information here, thanks for sharing - and I'm glad you got it working!
Very happy to see you got it working Chris!! We will try and see if we can add an addendum to the DIY with this info! Thank you for staying dedicated to getting it working.
Thanks for the support, too. THIS is what car forums are all about. I learned from you guys, and other people can now learn from my experiences. Everyone adding their own tips and tricks make buying products and DIYs that much better.

·
Your K5 Optima Vendor
2017 Tesla Model X
28,212 Posts
Thanks for the support, too. THIS is what car forums are all about. I learned from you guys, and other people can now learn from my experiences. Everyone adding their own tips and tricks make buying products and DIYs that much better.
:iagree: Thank you again for your patience with getting it working!!!

·
Former Administrator
2011 K5 Turbo
6,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
**** straight! That warm and fuzzy feeling I get when I can help someone out is what keeps me going. That's why I enjoy making DIY's, explaining stuff, sharing knowledge, and even sometimes doing the work for them.

****, just this past Wednesday I changed the alternator for my fiance's friend - in a 2005 Ford Escape, which is a huge pain in the ass - all because I didn't want her to have to eat the parts/labor costs. I refused to take payment, but she still insisted I take some cupcakes and a bottle of Captain Morgan.

All in a day's work. :cool:

61 - 77 of 77 Posts