Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone.

Recently, I've financed a 2020 kia optima lx.

I got a pretty good deal on it because it was previously a rental.

All my cars before this have all been just really old used cars that I drove to the ground without any regard for regular maintenance besides changing oil.

Basically, I do not know anything about owning a car and maintaining its value.

The only thing I have going for me right now is that my car still has about 35000 miles of factory warranty.

Some of my friends have told me to just enjoy the car since it has the warranty, but I think it would be wise to think about what I need to do to make the car last longer.

I have read online that it is a good idea to make modifications that will improve the durability of the car, such as putting in better suspensions, a bottom cover, a better braking system, etc.

I would very much appreciate any advice or links to old forum posts that could be of help.

Thank you

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,604 Posts
If it ain't broke don't fix it.
Welcome, leave it as is, enjoy the car, and better stop reading online. Just do the maintenance as required in the owner's manual and no reason to use expensive synthetic oil, but if you do the job yourself get synthetic from Walmart-SuperTech, or Costco-Kirkland.

·
Your K5 Optima Vendor
Tesla Model X P100D
28,737 Posts
Welcome to the Optima Forums.

Congrats on getting your 2020 Optima LX.

There really isn't anything special required, as mentioned above, I would just follow the service intervals in the owners manual.

Let us know if there is anything we can help you find to personalize your ride a bit.

-David
K5 Optima Store

·
Registered
2012 Black SX Prem. & Tech.
2,294 Posts
Get familiar with the required services called for in the manual.

Don't think of them as making the car last longer, think of them as required.

Skipping them harms the car.

Waiting too long harms the car.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Exactly what everyone else is saying. Don't worry about modifications. Follow the owners manual for service intervals. Enjoy the car for what it is. If you do modifications or upgrades, be aware sometimes they will have adverse affects on the car if you do it wrong or don't know what all goes into it. Since it still has the warranty, don't mess with it. Some dealers might not warranty the car if you do mods. Our 2014 Sedona we bought brand new ended up blowing its motor. Since we just serviced it per the manual the dealer replaced the motor under warranty and never asked about its service since it was in the dealer for its 30k and 60k services. I replaced brakes and rear shocks myself and did my own oil changes but they didn't ask about that. So don't worry to much about doing anything to it.

·
Registered
2014 Optima Optima SX Turbo
4 Posts
Any chance you live in the Dallas/Fort Worth area? I have a set of Weathertech floor mats that should fit your car. Free for the taking!

.../don

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi everyone.

Recently, I've financed a 2020 kia optima lx.

I got a pretty good deal on it because it was previously a rental.

All my cars before this have all been just really old used cars that I drove to the ground without any regard for regular maintenance besides changing oil.

Basically, I do not know anything about owning a car and maintaining its value.

The only thing I have going for me right now is that my car still has about 35000 miles of factory warranty.

Some of my friends have told me to just enjoy the car since it has the warranty, but I think it would be wise to think about what I need to do to make the car last longer.

I have read online that it is a good idea to make modifications that will improve the durability of the car, such as putting in better suspensions, a bottom cover, a better braking system, etc.

I would very much appreciate any advice or links to old forum posts that could be of help.

Thank you
The first mod you should get is a catch can as it really helps with maintaining longevity of your engine and power by stopping carbon buildup on the valves in pistons, and sway bars and LED bulbs are other kind of cool modifications!

·
Your K5 Optima Vendor
Tesla Model X P100D
28,737 Posts
The first mod you should get is a catch can as it really helps with maintaining longevity of your engine and power by stopping carbon buildup on the valves in pistons, and sway bars and LED bulbs are other kind of cool modifications!
Agree 100%!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Sometimes what you read online isn't always clear advise.

Your engine is a GDI motor, so consider using TOP TIER gasoline. In fact, Kia recommends it. Also take a look at the recommended maintenance schedule. The only thing I would consider changing is oil change intervals. Since it's a GDI, the use of thicker synthetic oils and more frequent oil changes seem to help. People have been told that cars don't need oil changes as often, which was true prior to GDI. Kinda stinks and it feels like we are going back in time with more frequent oil changes, but the fuel economy standards are making cars less reliable.

Maybe consider getting one analysis done, just to see where you are at. Blackstone Labs has a good reputation. Also do an oil consumption test, just to see if/how much oil is used up till your next oil change. Try to keep the oil level full on these modern engines.

Oh, and right, enjoy the car; as far as I can tell these newer Kia/Hyundai vehicles seem to be pretty solid cars.

·
Your K5 Optima Vendor
Tesla Model X P100D
28,737 Posts
100%. I've put Arco gas in my cars twice...lost a fuel injector in the first, a fuel pump in the second. WAY too coincidental...but still has me soured on them forever. Never again.
Yup, anyone I have ever spoken to that has a higher hp vehicle has had issues using Arco.

Maybe great for a stock small displacement engine, but not for me...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Yup, anyone I have ever spoken to that has a higher hp vehicle has had issues using Arco.

Maybe great for a stock small displacement engine, but not for me...
Well to be fair, the two issues I had were on an '83 Toyota Celica GT w/ a 2.4L 105hp 4-cyl and following that an '88 Firebird with a crap 2.5L V6 that threw out a whopping 135hp. Not exactly high quality vehicles, but reliable until the fateful Arco gas experiment.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I live in a smaller town. When the gas truck comes to town he hits all the gas stations. Marathon, Shell .......... Must all come from the same

1 - 18 of 18 Posts