Kia Optima Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
That's for add. I recently picked up the PHEV new and already adding K5 badges. My commute is 40 miles so I only get 67mpg or so based on the 980 miles of driving. I would like to trade driving tips in getting the most mpg I can with this car.

·
Registered
2017 KIA Optima
3,235 Posts
Welcome to the forum and congrats on the car! That's some really good numbers from your hybrid. Can't offer you any driving tips for better economy but if you want to have fun with the hybrid, it's got a pretty peppy setup. When I drive mine, it goes to Sport mode right away. I have also lowered it and got some wider, grippier, tires installed and use the manual mode for shifting when I really want to have some fun with it. The wife drive it most of the time so it gets sluggish and I have to retrain the Optima on how to be a Sporty Hybrid. I think ours is at 38 mpg with over 40K on the clock. Your numbers are really good for a new car, I guess you do some hypermiling in it?

·
Registered
2017 Kia Optima Hybrid
82 Posts
Welcome to the forum and congrats on the car! That's some really good numbers from your hybrid. Can't offer you any driving tips for better economy but if you want to have fun with the hybrid, it's got a pretty peppy setup. When I drive mine, it goes to Sport mode right away. I have also lowered it and got some wider, grippier, tires installed and use the manual mode for shifting when I really want to have some fun with it. The wife drive it most of the time so it gets sluggish and I have to retrain the Optima on how to be a Sporty Hybrid. I think ours is at 38 mpg with over 40K on the clock. Your numbers are really good for a new car, I guess you do some hypermiling in it?
I think OP got the PHEV, the one with extra batteries and a charging port. But yeah, hypermiling is a good idea (just losing some fun).

The characteristics with Kia's PHEV car is, it'll decide by itself. So you cannot simply let it dry up the battery first. It's more likely to bring in the gas engine during acceleration anyway, no matter how hard you try to avoid. Thus if you drive more city-driving, it'll pay back well. If a lot of highway driving, that's just how it's programmed. You'll need to find a sweet spot so that it can both accelerate fast while not burn extra gas. The transmission will learn from you and you'll also be more familiar with this car. It'll get slightly better.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts