1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Kia Optima
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Nickname: SaugaSX

Hi All,

I just purchased this week a 2015 Kia Optima SX Turbo, it is black on black. I spent a fair bit of time searching this forum for info before making the purchase and it certainly helped me make my decision. Thanks!

I take delivery on Saturday and can't wait to take it for a long drive! Also once the temperature finally rises I also look forward to putting on my rims from my previous car ('06 Nissan Altima). The rims are Enkei EKM3 in Hyper Silver 18X8 5x114.3 +40mm offset with 225 45R18 tires. From everything I've read it seems these should fit without a problem on my new Optima. Hopefully that is the case!

Apart from that I plan on tinting the windows. Any suggestions in regards to tinting? I've never done that before.

Cheers!

·
Registered
2018 Kia Optima
1,180 Posts
Welcome to the Optimaforums SaugaSX!

For tinting—if the rear glass on your car has the embedded antenna, then make sure you avoid using metallic tint film; ceramic tint film is best, make sure it has UV blocking characteristics, and when it comes to tint quality and performance, you do get what you pay for since cheap quality tint will fade quicker.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Tint Hint: Remember that tinting will be akin to driving with sunglasses on at night when you look out the sides and back window. Stay with no darker then 35% on the side windows -- my 2 cents. :)

·
Your K5 Optima Vendor
Tesla Model X P100D
28,819 Posts
Welcome to the Optima community!

Congrats on buying your 2015 Optima SX Turbo!

I bet tomorrow can't come soon enough for you!! :grin:

I would recommend 3M Ceramic tint, that's what I have on my car. (Best of the best)

If there is anything we can help you find to personalize your new ride, just let us know. ;)

-David

·
Registered
2015 Kia Optima
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Welcome to the Optimaforums SaugaSX!

For tinting—if the rear glass on your car has the embedded antenna, then make sure you avoid using metallic tint film; ceramic tint film is best, make sure it has UV blocking characteristics, and when it comes to tint quality and performance, you do get what you pay for since cheap quality tint will fade quicker.
I believe my car has the shark fin antenna but, sounds like ceramic is the way to go. Thanks!

---------- Post added at 07:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:12 PM ----------

Tint Hint: Remember that tinting will be akin to driving with sunglasses on at night when you look out the sides and back window. Stay with no darker then 35% on the side windows -- my 2 cents. :)
Cool name :) Thanks, I'm still trying to figure our percentages. I think 30 or 35 in the front sounds good but, maybe 20 in the back?

---------- Post added at 07:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:15 PM ----------

Welcome to the Optima community!

Congrats on buying your 2015 Optima SX Turbo!

I bet tomorrow can't come soon enough for you!! :grin:

I would recommend 3M Ceramic tint, that's what I have on my car. (Best of the best)

If there is anything we can help you find to personalize your new ride, just let us know. ;)

-David
Yes, I can't wait to pick her up! Thanks I see 3M available at places for like $400 Canadian. Does that sounds reasonable to you price wise?Will check out your store.

·
Registered
2018 Optima SXL
19 Posts
Welcome fellow Canadian I'm from Hamilton. I've got 3m 20% tint installed by dealer and I think it was $220 with lifetime warranty.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2018 Kia Optima
1,180 Posts
SaugaSX--I believe the shark fin antenna is for SiriusXM; FM/AM antenna is integrated in the rear glass.

As far as what tint percentage--in the end it's what looks good to you (tint laws notwithstanding); on my Optima I went with 18 rear and 35 front ceramic tint (where I live the summer temps can climb in the 90s on a fairly regular basis, plus there's no covered parking where I work). Ceramic will cost you a pretty penny compared to other types of tint material but is worth it IMHO; also to consider when pricing tint installs--difficulty of installation, both in complexity (especially when it comes to the rear window, plus on the Optima we are talking 7 pieces of glass, not including the windshield) and amount of glass real estate to cover (more glass, more materiall and more labor).

·
Registered
2015 Kia Optima
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks. Was this at a Kia dealer?

---------- Post added at 12:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:29 PM ----------

Welcome fellow Canadian I'm from Hamilton. I've got 3m 20% tint installed by dealer and I think it was $220 with lifetime warranty.

Thanks. Was this at a Kia dealer?

---------- Post added at 12:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:33 PM ----------

SaugaSX--I believe the shark fin antenna is for SiriusXM; FM/AM antenna is integrated in the rear glass.

As far as what tint percentage--in the end it's what looks good to you (tint laws notwithstanding); on my Optima I went with 18 rear and 35 front ceramic tint (where I live the summer temps can climb in the 90s on a fairly regular basis, plus there's no covered parking where I work). Ceramic will cost you a pretty penny compared to other types of tint material but is worth it IMHO; also to consider when pricing tint installs--difficulty of installation, both in complexity (especially when it comes to the rear window, plus on the Optima we are talking 7 pieces of glass, not including the windshield) and amount of glass real estate to cover (more glass, more materiall and more labor).
Good to know on the antenna. I am thinking I will go ceramic and not cheap out on the tints. In looking up Ontario laws any car built before Jan 1 2017 doesn't really have a regulation apart from the driver needing to see out the windows clearly. It looks like 20 would be the darkest.

It looks like ceramic tints run $300 - $400 Canadian depending on the quality of the ceramic and place. Thanks.

---------- Post added at 12:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:39 PM ----------

As an update I picked up the car yesterday and I love it. I'm going to try to figure out how to install my cargo net from me previous car and see if I can update Android Auto to the car! Of course take her for a nice long drive too!

·
Registered
2018 Optima SXL
19 Posts
Yes that was at the dealership.

I have 20% on my Kia and Mazda 6 I used to drive and is now my wife's daily driver.

I think upgrade to Android auto is offered as update on Kia's website.

·
Registered
2015 Kia Optima
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks, I'll ask the dealer. I always thought they would cost more than aftermarket.

·
Registered
2018 Kia Optima
1,180 Posts
Thanks, I'll ask the dealer. I always thought they would cost more than aftermarket.
I imagine some dealerships may have in-house tinting facilities but more likely many dealerships will probably job out the tint install to a third-party tint shop; my buddy owns a tint shop and he gets tint jobs and every now and then from some of the surrounding dealerships.

·
Registered
2015 Kia Optima
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So I updated the infotainment system for Android auto using the map SD card. It took forever to load the data on the card (probably should have used a USB stick) but the update once I plugged it in the car tool about 25 min and you can drive around while it is updating.

Thought I'd mention this as I was wondering on the update time as it says it could take up to an hour and I didn't find any threads on it. I took a little spin while it was updating, the only downside is you can't control the climate controls or play radio/music while it is doing it's thing.

Android Auto is pretty cool, I will mostly use it for longer drive when I need Waze or to receive and dictate texts as it illegal here to use your phone while driving. It also seems to charge the phone while plugged in, not sure if that works as I've seen others threads indicating the USB connecting is for data only and not charging.

·
Registered
2016 Kia Optima
31 Posts
Android Auto is pretty cool, I will mostly use it for longer drive when I need Waze or to receive and dictate texts as it illegal here to use your phone while driving. It also seems to charge the phone while plugged in, not sure if that works as I've seen others threads indicating the USB connecting is for data only and not charging.
Welcome man. Glad to see another one from Canada. I agree though, AA is pretty neat. I use it all the time. Extremely useful for that quick text response and honestly I'd rather Google maps than the integrated system.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts