Kia Optima Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings bought a 14 sxl as I really needed a more fuel sufficient car for work and because I already have a 17 sx Sedona for my wife and it’s been a great van for us.
Wishing I would have looked at this forum prior to purchase with the engine horror stories I am seeing. Mine already has the orange dip stick, so it passed their test and it was serviced regularly at the local kia dealer. However I did buy a 2yr 24k mile warranty on it for peace of mind while I own the car over the next two years. I do plan to trade this toward a kia stinger then.
Anyway, I really enjoy driving the car and it has some great power. The options are a plenty and it looks great. Love the LED fog lights. I will monitor the oil weekly and see how things look when I drop the filter.
I was planning on installing a OCC eBay intake HKS plugs and uncle chip. These things are easily removable if I had to remove them for any reason.

Attachments

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
1,880 Posts
Welcome and as you'll find, not very fuel efficient, and depending on your driving, habits and environment, it probably won't be much better than the Sedona.
2017 Sedona SX 18/25 21
2013 Optima SXL 20/30 24

Also, with the chip you'll probably choose the 50HP chip, then comes the need for premium fuel.
So, to sum it up, fuel mileage with the 2.0T + chip=it will cost more to run than the Sedona. So much for the savings, but you'll have fun with the car.

Just drive the car and if the engine goes, it has lifetime engine warranty, but just for the debris issue, any other it's on you, unless still under some type of aftermarket warranty.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I got this as a work car for myself, I was driving my 07 f-150 forged 5.4 with Saleen supercharger cam full exhaust tune etc 8mpg on premium so this is quite the upgrade for me. I felt bad every time started her up in under 50* weather.

if I get 20 in this praise the lord above.
I found a used chip so was going to get in and going.

since I am new owner to the car should I run the CRC valve cleaner through it?

I did purchase from the dealer that sold me this (Infiniti) a 2yr full coverage warranty for whatever that is worth.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
1,880 Posts
Running CRC through the intake never hurts. For what it's worth, I had 172,000 miles, no cleaner was ever use, but the engine was replaced in December. Engine was running great no mechanical problems, but was replaced for excessive oil consumption.

That 5.4 should have gotten better mpg than 8, even with a SC, but maybe the way to work was a drag strip.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don’t have a heavy foot most of the time. It’s got a large cam and bigger injectors as well I swear idling are a light would go through a gallon of gas. But I will get it to the dyno this spring and get it dialed in. It’s on a mail tune from a really good lightning/Harley tuner.

ill go get a can of crc and a filter and replace the oil with my next shipment of amsoil signature series This week.

·
Registered
2014 Kia Optima
82 Posts
Greetings bought a 14 sxl as I really needed a more fuel sufficient car for work and because I already have a 17 sx Sedona for my wife and it’s been a great van for us.
Wishing I would have looked at this forum prior to purchase with the engine horror stories I am seeing. Mine already has the orange dip stick, so it passed their test and it was serviced regularly at the local kia dealer. However I did buy a 2yr 24k mile warranty on it for peace of mind while I own the car over the next two years. I do plan to trade this toward a kia stinger then.
Anyway, I really enjoy driving the car and it has some great power. The options are a plenty and it looks great. Love the LED fog lights. I will monitor the oil weekly and see how things look when I drop the filter.
I was planning on installing a OCC eBay intake HKS plugs and uncle chip. These things are easily removable if I had to remove them for any reason.
Great car. I have the 14 black sxl as well. No major problems, just wastegate adjustment and 2 driver heated seat elements. All covered under warranty. I now have 52k miles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Bob good to hear no issues. I am gonna chip mine as soon as this guy gets back to me from this forum. I like that it has selectable octane setting. 89 is mid grade around me. I have plenty of e85 as well but probably won’t go that direction.

I am averaging about 22mpg on regular on the first tank of owning this. On the highway I was seeing about 34mpg.

·
Registered
2014 Kia Optima
82 Posts
Bob good to hear no issues. I am gonna chip mine as soon as this guy gets back to me from this forum. I like that it has selectable octane setting. 89 is mid grade around me. I have plenty of e85 as well but probably won’t go that direction.

I am averaging about 22mpg on regular on the first tank of owning this. On the highway I was seeing about 34mpg.
Yeah. Same gas mileage here. I was going to chip it but bought a Tohoe this past year and it’s now become a spare car which will eventually be my sons car. Don’t want to put the chip in it when he will be driving it. If you have a few extra bucks get one of these. I put this in my car and it’s been great. Lots of customizable options. The install is really easy too. Great directions and David is great if you have any issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Your K5 Optima Vendor
2017 Tesla Model X
28,417 Posts
Welcome to the Optima Forums!

Congrats on getting your 2014 Optima SX-L model.

When it comes to modifying your Optima, you've definitely come to the right place.

I would be a bit cautious when ordering certain items from eBay, like the HKS BOV, or other higher end parts.

Unfortunately, there are a ton of knock off/replicas sold on there, that can end up damaging your engine.

Please let us know if there is anything we can help you find to personalize your ride a bit.

With the one of largest selections of Optima products available in one place, it's hard not to find something. ;)

-David

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
David thanks for the reply, I actually just order the hks plugs from your site last night. I got the chip from a member on the forum as well.

looking forward to those gains!

I would never get a BOV or wastegate off eBay been there got knocked off before

Is there any other BOV options besides the hks? Not a huge fan of that type of sound

·
Your K5 Optima Vendor
2017 Tesla Model X
28,417 Posts
David thanks for the reply, I actually just order the hks plugs from your site last night. I got the chip from a member on the forum as well.

looking forward to those gains!

I would never get a BOV or wastegate off eBay been there got knocked off before

Is there any other BOV options besides the hks? Not a huge fan of that type of sound
Of course, you're very welcome.

Oh awesome, happy to hear that!

Good call, definitely not a good idea.

In terms of an actual Blow Off Valve, and not a sound plate? Yes, we do have a few options available.

Shoot me over an email to [email protected] or give me a call here tomorrow at (213) 785-7512

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
For sure I’ll call tomorrow. As long as the BOV stock will hold the extra boost from the chip them I don’t see a reason to replace.

I was wondering though, what mod after the tune will start improving torque numbers? Mid pipe/downpipe?

does this motor ever need HPFP upgrades like the Mazda motors?

·
Your K5 Optima Vendor
2017 Tesla Model X
28,417 Posts
For sure I’ll call tomorrow. As long as the BOV stock will hold the extra boost from the chip them I don’t see a reason to replace.

I was wondering though, what mod after the tune will start improving torque numbers? Mid pipe/downpipe?

does this motor ever need HPFP upgrades like the Mazda motors?
Awesome, sounds good. We can go over all of that when we chat tomorrow. :)

Nah the fuel pump on the Optima is rated pretty well for handling higher HP numbers.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts