Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Black SX Prem. & Tech.
2,289 Posts
Yes I just replaced my HID bulbs (2012 SX gas, not hybrid).

I got some no-name bulbs off ebay for around $16 per pair, and they go even lower price than that. You can search for D1S HID, but confirm whether the hybrid uses a different kind of bulb than the gas version. I was skeptical due to the low price, so I bought two different pairs, one at a normal temp and another a little cooler/bluer in color. But so far the first pair is still going strong and I'll have the extra pair as spares.

Installation was fairly straightforward. The side by the battery I could reach my hand and swap the bulb. But the side with the coolant reservoir I needed to unscrew and move aside the reservoir to be able to fit my hand.

Each bulb will be held in place with a clip. You can use your cell phone to photograph the way the clip sits, so you'll know how to squeeze it to unlatch because you can't see it when you are reaching in.

A challenge might be found when you try to remove the dust cover cap that covers the back port that the bulb sits inside. My caps snap/twist into place, but are also locked down by a screw. The screw is tricky to access because there is no room for a screw driver. I ended up using a phillips drill bit, just loose to engage the screw, and then a pliers to turn the bit to loosen the screw. Once you turn it about 1/2 turn, you can just twist the bit by hand and get the screw out.

I was able to fit my hand and

·
Your K5 Optima Vendor
Tesla Model X P100D
28,725 Posts
Unfortunately, the majority of HID D1S bulbs on eBay or Amazon are cheaply made in China, and won't last more than a few months.

Now this is NOT ALL of them, but a good percentage of them. We only sell the Morimoto HID bulbs from The Retrofit Source.

At $74.95 with free sipping included, and free replacement bulbs for up 2 years, it's hard to go wrong.

Check them out on our website here: Morimoto XB HID D1S Bulbs

Then we also carry the more expensive, 20% brighter, OSRAM XENARC 66140 CBI HID D1S Bulbs

·
Registered
2012 Black SX Prem. & Tech.
2,289 Posts
Yes I'm interested in seeing how long my cheap ebay HID bulbs last. I'm taking one for the team here, just to do this little science experiment.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts