Kia Optima Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I inherited my son's 2015 Kia Optima. I have the 2 remote keys, but I don't have the key code. I assume the key code will make replacement keys easier if (heaven forbid) that's ever necessary. Is there a way for me to get the code? Can a Kia dealer access the code for me from the remote key? The VIN# alone obviously isn't enough, because that's visible to any/everyone.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What exactly are you trying to get the key code for?

If you need a new remote fob, they do base it off your VIN.
Page 4-4 of Owner's Manual says . . .
Record your key number
The key code number is stamped on the key code tag attached to the key set. Should you lose your keys, this number will enable an authorized Kia dealer to duplicate the keys easily. Remove the key code tag and store it in a safe place. Also, record the key code number and keep it in a safe and handy place, but not in the vehicle.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Shoot I had to ask my salesperson for the key code when I had discovered (after having read through the entire owners manual) there was no such key code tag attached to either of my two remote key fobs.

·
Your K5 Optima Vendor
28,168 Posts
Page 4-4 of Owner's Manual says . . .
Record your key number
The key code number is stamped on the key code tag attached to the key set. Should you lose your keys, this number will enable an authorized Kia dealer to duplicate the keys easily. Remove the key code tag and store it in a safe place. Also, record the key code number and keep it in a safe and handy place, but not in the vehicle.
Hmm I guess I was/am confused on what this is exactly.

If you lose one remote, the other remote can be taken to the dealer and they can get the frequency/code off of that to program the new remote.

Is this maybe a non push button start model? Sorry for my confusion.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It seems (to me) that nobody is answering my question, because I asked what some consider to be the wrong, inappropriate or even stupid question. Has anyone ever heard the expression "there's no such thing as a stupid question; only stupid answers"? Please don't get me wrong. I'm not calling anyone stupid. But I am saying that questioning the need for an answer isn't helpful (to me anyway). I can completely understand that getting the key code isn't important for some people. The manual suggested to record and save the key code, so I thought I might do that. I (& apparently others) have never needed the key code before. That doesn't mean that I won't at some time in the future. There are an infinite number of reasons that replacement key(s) may be needed. There are an infinite number of easy/simple ways to get replacements. There are also possible situations where it might not be so easy/simple. I simply asked if a dealer would be one of the simple solutions. I don't think that's a stupid question. It just seems that I asked in the wrong setting. I apparently should have asked a dealer.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Not sure who your comments were directed towards--given that there are/were only two other folks who commented in this thread (so far), I would hope that it wasn't meant for me. Granted I didn't directly answer your question but my comment clearly implied that the dealer would/should be able to provide you with the key code.

·
Registered
70 Posts
If your son was the original purchaser and had to take out a loan, see if he can find the original papers. It's common practice for the key number/code to be on the loan papers just in case the loan company decides they want the car back.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sorry, I didn't mean to sound offensive (my bad). I guess I was just looking for a quick answer.

·
Registered
523 Posts
It's all good--we're all trying to be helpful here to our fellow forum members, not trying to drive them away.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts