Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Kia Optima SXL
592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Glues are picky about what they stick to and Poly-Plastics have been the hardest for me to find glue for.
Opened the passenger door and the left, separate piece fell off because its Poly-Plastic part component sheared off from the rest of it. It's a Very Small area to glue, which is bad for maintaining glue strength, but I've got to try.
The Rt Pic Tab via yellow arrow actually has the door handle close OVER it, so something had to have made the door handle part get under that Tab to pull up and shear it off.
It stays in place when I just re-attach it and leave it alone ( I DO press down on it when opening the door (rarely used), but hopefully a Glue will suffice.

Anyone know a good Poly-Plastic Glue?

COMBO PIC.jpg

·
Registered
2012 Black SX Prem. & Tech.
2,184 Posts
Do you have a picture of the piece that broke off?

Another option is to weld the piece back on. I fixed a broken plastic rail on a Kia Rondo sunroof by using a soldering iron to weld the plastic back together. Welding provides a very strong bond. Depending on the plastic, the weld can be almost as strong as the original.

But back when I used "glue" on plastic motorcycle fairings, I found a nice epoxy that was sold as "plastic weld" or something. There was a clear part and a creamy white part that you squirted out and mixed together. I would use an old saw to roughen the edges to be glued, so the epoxy had a texture to grip into. But your part might be too small to apply such a texture, and won't give a good grip.

But I highly recommend this guy, he tests all kinds of stuff. Here is his video for using epoxy on plastics, it's very informative!

·
Registered
2018 KIA Optima
170 Posts
Last I looked that piece was like 20$ (granted it was for a sorento) would you consider replacement?

·
Registered
2016 Kia Optima SXL
592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, KF, for the Glue suggestion --- and the Broken Part Pic --- is the right pic in the Thumbnail below the wording.
You don't see it?
I cannot understand WHY the door handle pulled it out to shear it as right now with it just sitting there (no hand support) the door opens with No Effect on the trim piece that broke off.

Xifer, H3ll yea I'd spend $20. I see One Screw lookin in BUT suspect you have to remove the inside door panel to get to the the rear of the Trim Module to Remove it. Never done it --- but if glue fails I'll definitely buy one.

Thanks to you Both!

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
I don't understand what two pieces you want to glue together.

I saw the picture, but it seems like a single piece by itself? I assumed there is another piece that has broken off of the piece shown in the picture. I'm wondering how big is that other piece that broke off. Or is that also shown somewhere in the pictures?

The reason I ask is it's unclear how much surface area you are working with - how much surface area does the glue have to work with.

·
Registered
2016 Kia Optima SXL
592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
KF, the yellow circle area in the Rt Pic shows the Small sheared poly-plastic area that is all I have to glue, and its other body half is inside the door. Seems a complex design for just a Trim piece that has no function

The video talked of bonding - Plastic to Steel - but a 2-Tube Mix of JB Weld at Lowe's showed for Automobiles, so I've glued the small area with the Mix and will see what happens.

As a separate piece, I remain mystified How something got under the Trim Tab and pulled it out. Repeated openings of the door don't show the moving door handle touching the Trim, so I don't need to pass a 100 lb torque test - just have the piece stay in place. 24 hours for glue to cure. Moderate Test later today....
Thanks again!

·
Registered
2016 Kia Optima
368 Posts
Same thing happened on my 2016 pick up some JB Weld at home depot. Mix it well and let it sit for a few min before applying. Put pressure on it for like 5 min.

·
Registered
2016 Kia Optima SXL
592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The 2-Tube JB Weld (Automotive is on the label list) --- is holding. I wiggled it lightly to see if it would pull out as before and it didn't move.

·
Registered
2016 Kia Optima
368 Posts
Mine came off once after JB weld. I let it set longer and used a little more second time. Been fine since. When it first broke, the entire handle came off in my hand. I was like WTF??. Very brittle plastic. Guess diecast metal would have cost 3 cents more. LOL

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
Just to point out, in the above video I linked, the guy talks about the tradeoffs between the glues that are strong but brittle, vs the glues that are weaker but flexible. The original JB weld came out on top in his testing because JB weld is nice and flexible even though it's not the strongest, and his test checked for things like vibration where flexibility will help. But there are other glues that were stronger. There was one glue so strong that it broke the plastic before the glue came apart, but that glue didn't come out on top because it's strength also means it's not as flexible.

Also, even though the test is about gluing plastic to metal, the results hold true for plastic-vs-plastic because in every test in the video, the failure point was between the glue and the plastic - the glue-to-metal bond never failed. So really the video tests how strong the glue bonds to the plastic. That will be true and the same situation where you have plastic-glue-plastic bond.

Bottom line is that if the JB weld fails, you could still try moving to a stronger glue that is also more brittle. Because it depends on what kind of stresses the glue is subjected to in the door handle part. hard to predict, but don't give up hope if the JB weld fails.

·
Registered
2016 Kia Optima SXL
592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This has been a good experience.
KF, I saw & agree with all you said, and because I STILL (after numerous door openings since glued) cannot see anything on the moving door handle touching the Trim Piece when the door is opened, I Presume this glue will last.
When I get to Heaven "HOW did this happen when I can't see the 2 parts touching" is the first question I'll ask God.
redlantrn, MY Part stayed on (350 mi Interstate Trip) with No Glue, and Your whole handle was surely just downward pressure on an unsupported break.

Beating the Svc Invoice man is 90% of the fun...... Thanks again , KF for the link and suggestions.

·
Registered
2016 Kia Optima
368 Posts
On an unrelated topic, if your trunk latch fails (which is fairly common) you can buy a new one on Amazon for $22. I know from experience.LOL. Glad it worked out.

·
Registered
2016 Optima EX
2 Posts
Glues are picky about what they stick to and Poly-Plastics have been the hardest for me to find glue for.
Opened the passenger door and the left, separate piece fell off because its Poly-Plastic part component sheared off from the rest of it. It's a Very Small area to glue, which is bad for maintaining glue strength, but I've got to try.
The Rt Pic Tab via yellow arrow actually has the door handle close OVER it, so something had to have made the door handle part get under that Tab to pull up and shear it off.
It stays in place when I just re-attach it and leave it alone ( I DO press down on it when opening the door (rarely used), but hopefully a Glue will suffice.

Anyone know a good Poly-Plastic Glue?

View attachment 250021
Just purchase the new piece ~ it's a easy install and you can buy in the color of your vehicle.

·
Registered
2016 Kia Optima
3 Posts
Just purchase the new piece ~ it's a easy install and you can buy in the color of your vehicle.
Would you happen to have the part number? Mine broke last year and my kids have learned to put their thumb on that piece as they pull the handle to open the door. Thanks!

·
Registered
2016 Kia Optima SXL
592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Bryan, this is a start via kiapartsnow.com.
Blow up the Diagram & Take a look -- and then call as I'm not sure about Color, etc. Now that I think about it I've seen Door handle COVERS on eBay, so THAT logically may be the way to get the color.

Left Door

Rt Door

·
Registered
2018 KIA Optima
170 Posts
When I get to Heaven "HOW did this happen when I can't see the 2 parts touching" is the first question I'll ask God.
By NO means am I responding for God. But on my friends 13, and my sister 14 Kia sorentos the back passenger door handles failed. The actual handle, causing when the kids opened the door properly. No issues. But if you opened the door like a pre-teen (aka 45° toward the back and with attitude) the handle would dislodge and hit that piece.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts