Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I am the new owner of a used 2011 Kia Optima.

I bought my Kia Optima because I heard great reliability reviews and I needed a somewhat newer and decent car with great gas mileage because I will be starting College soon.

I bought the car from a used car dealership for roughly $5000 USD.It had no problems, at least not what my eyes and ears could see/hear and it drove perfectly fine.

On my way home from the dealership, I was on the highway and noticed the Check Engine light come on (error code P0014)

2 days later after I bought it, I went to go get the oil changed as well as spark plugs, I also replaced the crankshaft sensor due to error code P0014. After doing this, I got home to run inside and grab my phone charger before I started work (I'm also a DoorDash driver). I come back out to the car and start it, only to hear the most horrible knocking/clunk noise Ive ever heard in my life. This scared me, I almost started crying because I thought I had bought a piece of crap. I did some research after leaving my mechanic (my car was in limp mode) and used my brothers code reader because the check engine light was flashing and I got error code P1326, I saw that there was an engine recall and warranty, but I did not think I'd be getting a new engine. I am expected to receive my car back in a few days, but I guess my question to people who have been through this is:

How did your car run after it received its new engine? Did it feel as if it just came off the lot?
Was your engine brand new or refurbished?
Should I attempt to sue the used car dealership from which I bought the car from?
(We believe they intentionally turned off the check engine light before purchase)

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,375 Posts
The engine will be new and will also come with a lifetime warranty. As far as the consideration of suing the used car dealership, I wouldn't give that a second thought as it would be incredibly hard to prove that they reset the ecu and cleared the code. Even if they did, there's no out of pocket expense as the new engine will be installed no charge, but do realize the liability factor involved. Their stance will be if it had the code and the engine was bad, we would have had Kia replace the engine, put it back on our lot and could be sold with a new engine.

When you get it back, just do the normal maintenance and you'll be good to go. Biggest, most annoying problems with this car, especially with age and high miles, are the brakes, depending on your location (in winter's harsh environment) and a/c compressor's off and on cooling.
Good luck

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The engine will be new and will also come with a lifetime warranty. As far as the consideration of suing the used car dealership, I wouldn't give that a second thought as it would be incredibly hard to prove that they reset the ecu and cleared the code. Even if they did, there's no out of pocket expense as the new engine will be installed no charge, but do realize the liability factor involved. Their stance will be if it had the code and the engine was bad, we would have had Kia replace the engine, put it back on our lot and could be sold with a new engine.

When you get it back, just do the normal maintenance and you'll be good to go. Biggest, most annoying problems with this car, especially with age and high miles, are the brakes, depending on your location (in winter's harsh environment) and a/c compressor's off and on cooling.
Good luck
Thank you for the reply!

I appreciate the Feedback, I only had the car for 2 days before it got taken away from me, so I haven’t really been able to get the feel of it. I will have the brakes looked at as well, but I don’t think the AC had any issues.

I see you own the same car, is there anything else I should look out for?

·
Registered
2012 Kia Optima SX
22 Posts
I'm sorry this happened right after you bought it. I bought my 2012 and I had the engine give out on me about 6 months after I bought it used (only mine was while I was cruising on the highway, not in a garage, haha). The engine is new that they give you. When you pop the hood after getting it back, remember it's not the ENTIRE engine that they replace, the intake, valve covers, accessories (alternated, AC compressor, tensioner pulleys, etc.) are all reused but the block is replaced.

Did the dealership get you set with a rental car? If not, they absolutely should, it's part of the recall.

As far as getting it back, the engine feels just fine and no issues at all. Keep an eye out the first 1,500 miles to make sure you're not losing oil just to be on the safe side. When you change your oil the new engine dipstick (orange handle) indicates a higher fill level by I believe about 1/2 a quart, so if you do it yourself make sure you buy enough. Use a quality full synthetic and the OEM Kia/Hyundai filter. Also forget about the dealership, it's not worth your time to try to prove something like that to make a civil case. If anything after lawyer fees you'll end up right where you started.

·
Registered
2012 Optima SX Premium Touring Package. SWP
39 Posts
The engine will be new
The engine is new that they give you
I purchased mine from a dealer that had the engine replaced by Kia of Chattanooga. I have the paperwork from the dealer showing mine had a remanufactured long block and a remanufactured starter installed courtesy of Kia. Kia of Chattanooga received the car 03/02/2020 the dealer I bought it from picked it up on 03/17/2020. I purchased it on 03/18/2020. That dealer and I had been talking about what I was looking for since before he bought my Optima.

·
Registered
2012 Kia Optima SX
22 Posts
From talking to the tech that swapped out my engine, they're considered remanufactured because the blocks are Theta II blocks that were manufactured but not installed in vehicles. They then had the defect fixed and are being installed in place of the failed engines.

·
Registered
2012 Optima SX Premium Touring Package. SWP
39 Posts
From talking to the tech that swapped out my engine, they're considered remanufactured because the blocks are Theta II blocks that were manufactured but not installed in vehicles. They then had the defect fixed and are being installed in place of the failed engines.
Sounds like good information. I really haven't cared whether it was considered remanufactured or new, both are new as far as I'm concerned. I may have got lucky on my engine it has all the performance it is supposed to but even driving it spirited most of the time I am getting better mileage than most on here from what I have read in this forum

·
Registered
2014 sx turbo
27 Posts
My engine seized up about four months after I bought it . The block had 100k miles on it and It was replaced fully at no cost. Since then I’ve been confidently driving my 2014 sxt knowing full well I’m under a lifetime warranty. THANK YOU KIA!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts