Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friend blew his engine in his 2013 Kia Optima LX. He DID NOT do the recommended recall. Long story short, the engine blew 2 years ago (basically about when the pandemic started, so he has been crazy busy and just never dealt with it, just went and bought a different car as he needed it right away) and has been sitting at a local mechanic's place for the last two years. In good shape with only 113k miles on it and well taken care of.

As the common story goes, the engine blew and kia wouldn't give him a straight answer on what they would cover. He is not very tech-savvy and so he asked me to see what options he has. It is sorta on a time basis as the mechanic got sick of the car sitting in the lot so had it towed and they are going to destroy the vehicle on Nov 15th if he doesn't move it. 馃榿

So, the bill is at $700 to get it out of the tow.

Again, He DID NOT do the recommended recall. I just called the dealership and they confirmed it.

Has anybody had any luck getting them to cover a new or rebuilt engine, or at least PART of the bill WITHOUT THe recall being done, or does Kia basically tell you to pound sand?

I don't need all new information, just a link if there is another specific thread on what I can do without the recall being done. I looked but couldn't find anything.

If I cant get the dealership to cover a new engine, is it worth getting the engine rebuilt at a local shop? He said I could have the car for the $700 if I was willing to pay the bill.

I have been in the car business for 10 years, so I am used to dealing with dealerships, I just don't want to end up spending $7000 and 30 hours of time for a $7000 car.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Registered
2011 Kia Optima
Kia won't do anything if the KSDS update wasn't done. A few weeks ago in my area there were 2 Sonata's and an Optima for sale with blown engines, same scenario, manufacturer wouldn't do anything because the KSDS update wasn't done.
Not too many choices other than purchasing a used engine @ $2000-$3000, depending on your location, and do the install yourself or pay someone, maybe 13 hours plus coolant, oil, etc, and have seen rebuilt engines @ $3k
Looks like you might have @ $5k in the car, worth it, your call.

After engine install and running, have Kia do the update then it will have the lifetime warranty.....hopefully.

Registered
13 Ebony SXL Turbo Touring & Tech Pkgs: Original Everything 195K Drag wheels
Hey
erhethyjtr
, I heard Not too many choices other than purchasing a used engine @ $2000-$3000, depending on your location

Registered
2015, Optima, EX
Sad to hear this, true鈥 KIA dealership or KIA corporate will NOT help you, other than waste your time.., I my self went through the same issue of motor died on my 2015 Optima EX while driving and then all light in dash came on but no brakes, if it would鈥檝e been my daughter driving there may have been an accident, because i had to use both feet to press down to get it to stop and i weight 214lbs, smell of electrical burning in cab, small plume of gray smoke from engine bay (driver side), dealer said talk to corp, Corp said talk to dealer, never received a notice to bring in for 鈥淜NOC sensor鈥, after almost 8mo of back and forth and talking to a Lemon law lawyer鈥 NOTHING.!!! so i sold it at a Carmax dealership for $5000. but was told buy a manager that theres a way to get them to do the work and pay you back payment, will get info again and post ASAP...

Registered
Sad to hear this, true鈥 KIA dealership or KIA corporate will NOT help you, other than waste your time.., I my self went through the same issue of motor died on my 2015 Optima EX while driving and then all light in dash came on but no brakes, if it would鈥檝e been my daughter driving there may have been an accident, because i had to use both feet to press down to get it to stop and i weight 214lbs, smell of electrical burning in cab, small plume of gray smoke from engine bay (driver side), dealer said talk to corp, Corp said talk to dealer, never received a notice to bring in for 鈥淜NOC sensor鈥, after almost 8mo of back and forth and talking to a Lemon law lawyer鈥 NOTHING.!!! so i sold it at a Carmax dealership for $5000. but was told buy a manager that theres a way to get them to do the work and pay you back payment, will get info again and post ASAP...
PLEASE let me know if you get this info. just had my mom's optima seize up on me and she said she never received a letter about the KSDS

Registered
2011 Kia Optima
okay thank you!!! I appreciate you trying to find out :) mine was just finally towed to the dealer today and they were already backlogged before the holiday, so it seems it will be over a week before they can even look at it.
Give the stelership a call and with the VIN they'll be able to tell if the KSDS update was done. If the car has been at the stealership for any service since 9/2018, they probably installed the update, if not, good luck.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts