Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Optima SXL
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I test-drove our car, battery needed a jump. It had been sitting at dealer for 5 months. They refused to replace it when I bought it, so I knew this was going to happen, even after charging it every week. At any rate, dealer said I might be charged a pro-rated amount, which would be basically the full amount, since I bought the car 2-3/4 years ago, and battery is warranted for 3. Not going to waste my time driving 40 miles, and having to pay more than an equally good Duralast AGM... and possibly getting that stupid 'campaign' done without my authorization.

At any rate, the reason for this thread is if one of you know if there's the need to reset anything when replacing the battery. Many of my previous and current vehicles require resetting the battery module, so the charging rate is back to full. The Porsche even asks for the new serial number. Hopefully that's not needed, so I can buy the Duralast AGM at a AutoZone, which is the best bang for the buck, for what I found...but recommendations are welcome.

As a final comment, there's really nothing worth trading this car for, so my wife decided to keep it, and I agreed. And that was before even checking how much I could get for my car, which would probably have been a deal-breaker anyway. So will put a nice battery. Also don't want to do the campaign because we're still going to use it for trips, and wouldn't trust it with that stupid 'fix'. And no need to do it now, since we still have 7+ years, and 75K miles, of warranty left. Thanks gang.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
4,217 Posts
I wouldn't hesitate to have the update done. I ran into a problem after it was performed as did a few others, but since, we've put 40k miles on the car, no problem, and if the engine decides to let go, it will give you time to react rather than having it lock up, then go up in a ball of flames when driving down the highway. Friends of ours were returning from a trip and the cel started flashing with a 2000 rpm max, but they made it home and the dealership installed another engine 72k miles.

From what I see in the owner's manual, the battery is a calcium based battery, not AGM, but if you haven't run into any problems with all the dead batteries, I'd say you've been lucky.
The only item I know of is the sunroof, it needs to be reset. Instructions in the owner's manual, that's other than all the other manual settings you've done.

I have a settings saver that I install in the OBDII port when disconnecting the battery, so if a store will be changing the battery, have them use the unit to save all the settings.

·
Registered
2016 Optima SXL
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for your reply. Just to clarify, I've never had a dead battery on this car (or any other, for decades). The battery was dead when we tried to test drive the car, so we had to go back the next day. Dealer just charged it, and refused to replace it, saying it was under warranty. At any rate, my factory battery is an AGM; it says right there. And I can tell it's an AGM, since there's no 'valve'.

I know you always have to reset auto windows and sunroof, so no issues there. I was referring to having to reset the battery module, like on Porsches, BMWs, and even my 2018 F-150 Platinum. Not sure it's on the owner's manuals of those vehicles, but will check, to see if the omission of that means there's no need to. Will try to call dealer too. Thanks.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
4,217 Posts
2016 Owner's manual states it's a calcium based battery which is just a wet cell battery.
Maybe they changed and put a AGM in from the factory and not change the manual, but with the battery in the front, a "normal" battery can be used.
Not certain where you got the pw need to be reset, but the only item I know of is the sunroof.

·
Registered
2016 Kia Optima SXL
699 Posts
Google for -- Advance Auto Discounts -- as I found a -$50 coupon and a $177 B4 Tax - AutoCraft Platinum AGM H6 - was $140 out the door.
Ordered Online for Disc and Chk'd -- Pkup at Store -- where they Install it free.
They refund $22 Core Chg after they install at store to Net Final Price.
AND - They HOOK a BKUP BATTERY to the car while Removing Old & Inst'ing New.
ASK YOUR store to do same and prevent extra recovery steps.
25% Coupon below BUT Price Up to $200 for Platinum = $150 + tax. Always Paid to get This one but YMMV..

This Link works in Edge but misfires in FF. Try it as desired.

·
Registered
2016 Optima SXL
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you guys. Battery all of a sudden started holding charge better, but I know it's on its way out. Will change it one of these days. It's at 12.50 volts, which I consider at the bottom of acceptable. My car came with an AGM, but even if it didn't, that's exactly what I'd put anyway. They last longer inside the engine compartment, and no risk of a leak. And if you fully charge it before installation, you also extend the life of it.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
4,217 Posts
Thank you guys. Battery all of a sudden started holding charge better, but I know it's on its way out. Will change it one of these days. It's at 12.50 volts, which I consider at the bottom of acceptable. My car came with an AGM, but even if it didn't, that's exactly what I'd put anyway. They last longer inside the engine compartment, and no risk of a leak. And if you fully charge it before installation, you also extend the life of it.
The AGM is great for places like under floor/trunk installation, but in the engine compartment, overkill, cost is absorbient and as far as longevity, the OEM batery in the '11 Optima lasted 6 years and can't remeber when a I saw a wet battery leak. Have had batteries last for 14 years, unusual, but happens.Just food for thought.

·
Registered
2018 kia optima LX
53 Posts
batteries last a long time if you drive a lot or put a charger on it to keep it topped up to prevent sulfation, even a new battery will be short lived with a constantly low charge from little use. when buying be sure its recently activated by checking the date code. good thing about non-sealed batteries is they can be stored DRY a long time then activated just prior to sale by adding acid + properly CHARGING before installation

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.