Kia Optima Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2016 SXL
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, just hoping to get some insight or experience on updating the built-in nav system on a 2016 SXL. I've asked my dealer about updates, but they either seemed to not know about it or told me it must be up-to-date. After figuring out where to check, I've discovered it is WOEFULLY outdated (by many, many versions).

So I found out about the official nav software system resource (https://www.mapnsoft.com/kia/mapnsoft/dashboard/). It states that I can either purchase an SD card for $25, or a download option would be available on May 15, 2020. But I am only seeing the option to purchase, can't find a link to download anywhere. It states that download is only for 'newer' models, but not sure how 'new' it must be.

- Anyone have luck accessing the download for this yet? If so, what's the specific URL?

- If I download the software, do I just remove the existing SD card and replace the contents with the new software, then go through the update process? Or should I get a new SD card to put it on?

- If I update the software, do I run the risk of having my radio presets reset? Between AM/FM/SAT, I have a bunch that I would prefer to not have to redo.

- Any other tips or tricks for a first-timer?

THANKS!

·
Registered
2018 Kia Optima
944 Posts
I'm guessing the download option got delayed; I did see a message elsewhere to that effect, and that it was estimated to be available in July or thereabouts.

I don't know if the process for applying a downloaded update has changed since I last went that route but back then you had to use their software to install the update to a SD card. You can either use the existing one or find/buy yourself another one. I can't remember off the top of my head but I think for 2016+ if you go with using your own SD card it has to be 32 GB.

As far as the update resetting/erasing your settings--I've done two updates so far and both times I did not lose my presets. Having said that, I think Kia does mention that there are no guarantees that your settings won't get lost/reset.

The one main concern is that it takes around 20 minutes or so for the update to complete, so you should either do it while driving around (unless you don't mind sitting in your car and letting the engine idle for that long a period) or else hook up a battery charger in case you're worried about extended battery discharge or the battery dying on you during the update.

·
Registered
2016 SXL
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response. I was able to call MapnSoft yesterday and was given the impression that my car may not have been new enough to qualify for the downloadable version (he thought it may be 2018+). So I had to order the SD card from them, which came out to $39 after tax & shipping.

And he seemed to confirm what you are stating regarding reset of presets, etc. It "shouldn't" reset anything, but they cannot guarantee this. So I'll just make some notes of what I have and hope for the best.

Looking forward to having Nav & system software that's at least from the last couple years. Mine must be very old based on version number (v NAM.08.47.xxxxx).

- Curious to know if a specific behavior is due to the outdated Nav software I have: I have never been able to figure out how to scroll around the map screen without dropping a 'crosshairs' destination point or something. I've tried using two fingers, etc, but anytime I touch the screen in maps view it tries to drop a point or something. So I effectively can scroll the map around to check other areas. Was this fixed long ago, or am I just doing it wrong??

Thanks!

·
Registered
2018 Kia Optima
944 Posts
I've found that by either a light(er) touch and/or immediately sliding your finger across the screen upon touching it helps lessen the possibility of an unwanted POI mark. But yeah I know what you mean as it's happened to me more than a few times--the touchscreen can be a bit finicky when it comes to knowing the difference between a sliding motion and a tapping one.

·
Registered
2016 SXL
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just an update that I received the SD card very quickly and have completed updating my nav & system software to the latest. It definitely took longer than 20 minutes, but there were no real hicups. And I did NOT lose any of my presets.

I do see a bit of difference in the map stylings & such, but nothing too major. I was disappointed to see that the nav maps didn't improve their street hierarchy display (e.g,. major streets being thicker or darker than minor streets). This one thing makes it very difficult to see where you're going when there are a lot of side streets around. Not sure if Google or other map makers have this copywritten or not.

And, for the life of me, I can NOT scroll or otherwise touch the map without it creating a POI mark & line. I tried dozens of times, in all sorts of manners of touching it. Any contact between my skin and the nav screen automatically drops a POI mark. I've never been able to get it to do anything different.

- Is scrolling around the map screen WITHOUT dropping a mark definitely a feature?? Makes it super difficult to use if not!

Thanks!

·
Registered
2019 Kia Optima SXL (Candian model)
1 Posts
Hi all... I've been following this thread as I'm curious about updating the navigation on my 2019 Optima SXL (Canadian model). Just for the heck of it, I logged into the Hyundai site and entered my Kia VIN and it was accepted and allowed me to download the Hyundai map data for free. I haven't tried to install it in my car yet, and I'm not sure that I will, but was just wondering if anyone has ever thought about that or tried that?

·
Registered
2016 SXL
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi all... I've been following this thread as I'm curious about updating the navigation on my 2019 Optima SXL (Canadian model). Just for the heck of it, I logged into the Hyundai site and entered my Kia VIN and it was accepted and allowed me to download the Hyundai map data for free. I haven't tried to install it in my car yet, and I'm not sure that I will, but was just wondering if anyone has ever thought about that or tried that?
I was told my car was probably too old for the downloadable version (2016). So I'm guessing your 2019 model is probably new enough for the download?!?

·
Registered
2018 Kia Optima
944 Posts
Just for grins I entered my vehicle as a Canada-purchased 2018 Optima--I'd have to pony up $30 CAD for the latest update to be shipped to me on a SD card...

·
Registered
2012 Black SX Prem. & Tech.
1,631 Posts
For those with 2012 NAV units (and perhaps other similar years), the map update is still not available. However, the availability date now reads June 15, so fingers crossed it comes out then.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts