Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am doing a break job and the shim that goes between the break pad and the caliper piston is no longer existent. Does anyone know the name of that part. I am having a tough time finding it. Is it necessary to have it installed?

Thank you

· Registered
2012 Black SX Prem. & Tech.
2,743 Posts
The most recent brake job I did, I left the shims off and there was no difference I could find when using the brakes? But I also used the grease on the back of the pad where it contacts the piston, to absorb vibrations.

Next time I do the brake pads I'll put the shims back in place, but for me it's no difference so far.

· Registered
2013 Kia Optima
587 Posts
I am doing a break job and the shim that goes between the break pad and the caliper piston is no longer existent. Does anyone know the name of that part. I am having a tough time finding it. Is it necessary to have it installed?

Thank you
Not all brake pads come with shims. you are always supposed to use shims whether they come with them or use from old pads if you can.

· Registered
2012 Black SX Prem. & Tech.
2,743 Posts
With the shims you will have two different interfaces - do they get grease or not?

back of brake pad <--> shim <--> piston

More specific - do you put any grease or anti-squeal between the back of the pads and the shims? Or should the shims be in direct clean contact with the back of the brake pads with no grease between them?

Then also, do you put grease on the back of the shims between the shims and the pistons? or should that surface be clean no grease?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts