1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Kia Optima GT MY19
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
MY19 Optima GT cruise control not maintaining speed

Hi,

We picked up our new Optima GT a couple of weeks ago and have noticed that the cruise control isn't maintaining the set speed very well. On moderate hill climbs it's dropping down by as much as 15kph and then on the downhill run its exceeding the set speed by up to 10kph. Our other cars used to maintain within a couple of kph on the same section of road. This seems to specifically happen in the higher speed zones like 80, 90 and 100kph when the road isn't flat and there's hills to climb (nothing too steep).

This happens if we're the only car on the road, or when adaptive cruise is on with a 3 car follow distance, but it seems to try and catch up a bit more when following other cars. In the 60 zones in the city, I can set the adaptive cruise and auto steering thing on and it drives down the road just fine and stops at the lights etc, all the while maintaining the speed within a few kph. Sometimes it works fairly well within a few kph in the 100 zones, and other times it's way off for no apparent reason.

We've tried mucking around with the different drive modes but it didn't make any difference. We don't want to hassle everyone else on the road or get a fine, so I thought I'd ask if anyone else has noticed something similar with their new car or know about an issue? The car will be in for it's first courtesy service shortly so we'll be raising it then, but it would be handy to know if anyone else has experienced something similar so I can be better briefed when I raise it with Kia.

Other than that it's been a great drive.

Thanks very much.

craby

·
Registered
2016 Kia Optima SXL
438 Posts
I always encourage guys to get a video of the issue as it happens.
Brief view of upcoming hill / downhill and then video the Speedometer -Tachometer as the speed fluctuates.
Preferably the wife records while you drive.
B4 or after ... call the Dealer Svc and ask IF they have had others with same issue while being prepared to show it to them on next visit when they say "You're the first."....

·
Registered
Kia Optima GT MY19
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's good advice thanks. We're on a long drive next week so I'll have the camera ready and give the service dept a heads up. It'll at least give us more chance of having it sorted out rather than just dropping it on them.

regards,

Hi,

We picked up our new Optima GT a couple of weeks ago and have noticed that the cruise control isn't maintaining the set speed very well. On moderate hill climbs it's dropping down by as much as 15kph and then on the downhill run its exceeding the set speed by up to 10kph. Our other cars used to maintain within a couple of kph on the same section of road. This seems to specifically happen in the higher speed zones like 80, 90 and 100kph when the road isn't flat and there's hills to climb (nothing too steep).

This happens if we're the only car on the road, or when adaptive cruise is on with a 3 car follow distance, but it seems to try and catch up a bit more when following other cars. In the 60 zones in the city, I can set the adaptive cruise and auto steering thing on and it drives down the road just fine and stops at the lights etc, all the while maintaining the speed within a few kph. Sometimes it works fairly well within a few kph in the 100 zones, and other times it's way off for no apparent reason.

We've tried mucking around with the different drive modes but it didn't make any difference. We don't want to hassle everyone else on the road or get a fine, so I thought I'd ask if anyone else has noticed something similar with their new car or know about an issue? The car will be in for it's first courtesy service shortly so we'll be raising it then, but it would be handy to know if anyone else has experienced something similar so I can be better briefed when I raise it with Kia.

Other than that it's been a great drive.

Thanks very much.

craby

·
Registered
2018 Optima SXL
19 Posts
Any update on this ?

I remember my adaptive cruise used to speed 10 over set limit when I just got it. But it stopped doing it soon after and it always keep speed up or down hill so either yours need some calibration/learning time or something is wrong

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
1,868 Posts
In the owner's manual, even with the "Smart" system, on a steep grade, the vehicle may slow down or speed up slightly while going uphill or downhill. Vehicle speed may decrease on upward slope and increase on downward slope.

I guess, if the engine isn't powerful enough to keep the speed steady when going uphill, it will slow down. Our '08 2.4 would really be annoying as it would slow down going uphill and sometimes even downshift to try and maintain speed, but the '11 EX-T isn't a problem with the more powerful engine.

·
Registered
Kia Optima GT MY19
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Hi, Sorry for the late reply, I've been away for a bit. Well, we took some videos and went to the dealership for the service, and rang them beforehand so they knew we were going to talk about it. They told my wife that a variation of up to 10kph is normal, didn't want to look at the video, and took it for a couple of kms around the town on the flat to test it, and of course found nothing wrong. I just went for a drive in it yesterday and it dropped down over 10kph on the same slopes that my manual BRZ will stick within a couple of k's on, so something seems a bit odd to me. It would be annoying to follow a car only to have them going fast/slow all the time.

On the flats its just fine, but as soon as there's any sort of moderate slope it really drops down. It doesn't seem to change gears, and I suspect there's something there with ride comfort or something like that which isn't letting it change fast enough to compensate for the speed drop, or as Puska83 said, it needs calibrating. I've mucked around with the cruise control settings in the menu but it didn't make any difference.

I'm thinking I might punch an email to Kia and see what they say, as for a modern vehicle I'd think its outside what would normally be expected. I would be happy with a 5kph variation, but dropping 10-15kph is pretty ordinary.

I'll post an update after I hear back from them.

Thanks,

craby

·
Registered
3 Posts
Had you any update on your cruise control . I am just after buying a 19 optima doing exact same thing. Going from 60 down to 53 and back up to 65 . Its a disaster
Garage said it just a kia thing not much can be done about but going to look into
No such issue with kia sportage or ceed
Just wondering how you faired out

·
Registered
2018 Kia Optima
664 Posts
Are you using the Smart Cruise Control feature? If so, then I can see how it can be finicky to the point that it does those types of speed fluctuations you reported; I'm not excusing the behavior but given the way SCC works it can be inconsistent at times depending on terrain and/or objects in front or near the vehicle.

·
Registered
3 Posts
No just the standard cruise set it at 70 mph and it drop to 63 and then run on to 75 and then settle at 70
I think it a fault in the newer optima

·
Registered
2018 Kia Optima
664 Posts
Not to insult your intelligence but are you certain your cruise control is set to Standard mode? Just asking because on the 2018 model IIRC the default cruise control setting is set to Smart CC and you have to change it to standard if you don't want to use the SCC feature. Granted that yours is a 2019 so for all I know the default CC setting is Standard...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Its a new K2 optima with the new 1.6 engine its only standard cruise control on it there is no SCC on it
I just think its s fault on them . I took another 19 optima out and it does the same but the ceed and sportage and no issues with them

1 - 11 of 11 Posts