Kia Optima Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I noticed my 2013 Kia Optima 2.4 liter knocks for the first 3 seconds of start up and then it goes away. What could that mean?

·
Registered
2013 Optima SWP
452 Posts
Overnight/over time oil drains to the bottom of the engine and there isn't adequate lubrication at the top of the engine at startup.

·
Registered
2012 Black SX Prem. & Tech.
1,769 Posts
As an experiment, please try switching to a higher octane gas and see if the knocking problem is resolved.

If the higher octane gas fixes the problem, then possibly you have some build-up that is affecting combustion, which maybe you can remove by cleaning, or regular use of something like Techron.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Will this eventually hurt my motor? The knock doesn’t happen with every cold start. It might happen once every week or two

·
Registered
2 Posts
So I noticed my 2013 Kia Optima 2.4 liter knocks for the first 3 seconds of start up and then it goes away. What could that mean?
Wasn't 2013 the worst model year for 2.4 engine failures...ie.... rod bearings? You need to investigate this further on the internet. Google search, consumer complaints and other Kia/Hyundai forums may help. Then decide what direction is next.

There was a 3-4 year period where some Kia / Hyundai engines were grenading. See what you can dig up. Your engine may be in the early stages of having major troubles. Some owners investigate strange noises. Some owners ignore them.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello.I saw this while l was looking to see what was wrong with the A/C.I have a 2011 Sx.Mine did the same thing for a long time.Eventually the rod slipped.Symptoms-knocking on starting,engine completely shuts off(this can happen during normal driving)check engine light.l took mine to the dealer Dec 22. 2018 and was told nothing was wrong.Dec 23rd is when it slipped.Engine was replaced.Another note,you don’t have to show them oil change records if they ask.Its covered under the catastrophe engine failure campaign.Sorry for the long reply.Be careful.

·
Registered
1 Posts
notice when i start my cars from over night or if it has sat for hours that it makes a noise like the oil isn't staying where it suppose too.
I own 3 kias now 2012 they replaced the motor in just the 2012 and I have a 2015, now a 2020 all optima's. only will make that noise when there a little lean to the passenger side, now when I put the lean on the drivers side no noise. this is when the car sits either over night or hours. all the engines are 2.4 no turbos the 2020 still has their oil and filter in with 93 miles. I've tried different oil filters from cheap to expensive still the same.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts