Kia Optima Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
02/2014 ROTM
2013 Optima SX
1,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

The mod is to my Ruger SR22 =) It's a Spectre II suppressor from SWR. Took over 9 months to get the approval back from the ATF, but it was worth the wait! With subsonic ammo, all you hear is the slide racking. This thing's gonna be a lot of fun!

·
03/2015 ROTM
2013 Duh EX
2,121 Posts

The mod is to my Ruger SR22 =) It's a Spectre II suppressor from SWR. Took over 9 months to get the approval back from the ATF, but it was worth the wait! With subsonic ammo, all you hear is the slide racking. This thing's gonna be a lot of fun!
:shocked:

·
Registered
2017 KIA Optima SX
1,356 Posts
woah!!! 007 !!!! 9months and your special license. nice work. Dont be shooting at honda civic tires!!! :thumbsup:

·
02/2014 ROTM
2013 Optima SX
1,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You must have one he11 of a church Rev! ;)

How do you go about getting ATF approval for that? I'll grant I've never looked into it, but I didn't think they were legal, period.
That's what most people think. They are classified as a class III firearm, just like a fully automatic machine gun. And everywhere a suppressor is legal, a fully automatic machine gun is legal. Only 15 states disallow private ownership of class III firearms. Florida isn't one of them. =)

For all class III weapons, you fill out a set of forms, and then you have to a) get local approval from the county sheriff or city police chief, or b) set up a trust that purchases and owns the "firearms." Then you send in the forms, and wait for approval by the ATF, and you have to pay a $200 tax. There's like, literally, two or three people in the nation that are responsible for approving the requests, so it takes 8-9 months (currently).

Anyway, that's kind of the procedure in a nutshell. It's a little more complicated, but that's the gist of it.

·
02/2014 ROTM
2013 Optima SX
1,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Doc, you ever head out to the ranges in copperas cove? then again in florence you can shoot in your back yard!
One of my best friends has his own private range in Burnet, so I usually go there. Had shoulder surgery in August and I'm still having some issues, so I can't shoot anything larger than .22lr right now. :-/

·
04/2014 ROTM
2011 SX
3,608 Posts
That's what most people think. They are classified as a class III firearm, just like a fully automatic machine gun. And everywhere a suppressor is legal, a fully automatic machine gun is legal. Only 15 states disallow private ownership of class III firearms. Florida isn't one of them. =)

[snip]

Anyway, that's kind of the procedure in a nutshell. It's a little more complicated, but that's the gist of it.
Cool. I knew about class III, just didn't know (never looked) suppressors were in that group. Good to know. :)

·
Registered
296 Posts
One of my best friends has his own private range in Burnet, so I usually go there. Had shoulder surgery in August and I'm still having some issues, so I can't shoot anything larger than .22lr right now. :-/
You should try out a .17HMR
Smaller than .22lr but pack a much bigger punch

·
02/2014 ROTM
2013 Optima SX
1,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You should try out a .17HMR
Smaller than .22lr but pack a much bigger punch
I've heard it's a very nice round. I've got too much invested in .22LR, though. Several pistols, three or four rifles, including a Ruger 10/22 Takedown, one of my favorite rifles of all time. Plus, several thousand rounds. =) I'll have to leave the .17HMR for the young guys just gettin' started. ;)

·
Your K5 Optima Vendor
2017 Tesla Model X
28,434 Posts
Jonathan that is freaking beast man! So sweet! Could you post a video of this thing being shot off one day? Would love to hear the sound it makes.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I've heard it's a very nice round. I've got too much invested in .22LR, though. Several pistols, three or four rifles, including a Ruger 10/22 Takedown, one of my favorite rifles of all time. Plus, several thousand rounds. =) I'll have to leave the .17HMR for the young guys just gettin' started. ;)
My mom's neighbor showed me the beast. So I decided to test it ut on a steel .22 target. It's 1/4" thick. I thought I was missing and then I realized the bullets were going straight through.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Nice pick-up. E-file has been running between 3-4 months consistently since most people don't know about it yet.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Jonathan that is freaking beast man! So sweet! Could you post a video of this thing being shot off one day? Would love to hear the sound it makes.
I hear it sounds like a GDI turbo engine w/ a BOV. ;-)

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
nice man. in cali those are illegal. wanted to get one for a glock 19. saving for a 500 smith and wesson
This is my "shocked face" :-l

Heck, I'd be surprised if Cali hasn't outlawed spitwad shooters (i.e. straws) by now, too!!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts