Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car will turn on for music and ac. But the engine won’t turn over I took it to Midas they said it was fixed next day it started doing it again. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,387 Posts
That's a start, does the battery test at >12.6? Start with a jump? have the battery tested to be certain it's up to full charge.

·
Registered
2018 Kia Optima
1,147 Posts
How old is the battery? I'd be somewhat surprised if it's still the original battery, in which case it may have reached the end of its useful life given the MY of your vehicle...although in theory it is possble to extend the life of a car battery to last longer than the typical 3 years depending on how often the vehicle is driven and if you use a battery tender to keep it charged when not in use.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
How old is the battery? I'd be somewhat surprised if it's still the original battery, in which case it may have reached the end of its useful life given the MY of your vehicle...although in theory it is possble to extend the life of a car battery to last longer than the typical 3 years depending on how often the vehicle is driven and if you use a battery tender to keep it charged when not in use.
I bought the car like 4 months ago and it’s been the same battery I haven’t changed it

·
Registered
65 Posts
Take it to an autozone and have them test the battery and charging system. Does it click or make noise when you turn the key? Do the interior lights come on?

·
Registered
2013 Kia Optima
174 Posts
My car will turn on for music and ac. But the engine won’t turn over I took it to Midas they said it was fixed next day it started doing it again. Any suggestions?
If you have 12 volts and the push start button does nothing in park try it in neutral. Mine used to not work sometimes in Park.

·
Registered
13 Posts
It's the Battery

·
Your K5 Optima Vendor
Tesla Model X P100D
28,677 Posts
Sounds like you have a dead battery, I would recommend replacing the battery to see if the problem persists, and go from there.

·
Registered
2018 Kia Optima
1,147 Posts
Not saying that alternators can't go bad but when it comes to electrical components that are involved in keeping the battery charged it's typically the voltage regulator that goes bad before the alternator does. I don't know how many miles you have on your 2014 but timewise, 6+ years is not a whole lot as far as alternator longevity is concerned IMHO--my 2004 GMC Yukon w/ 166K miles on it is still on its original alternator.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts