Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my 2013 Kia Optima Hybrid at 100,000 km (Canadian Eh) here is my experience over the last 30,000 km/about 1 year (the last one is the best):

At the beginning - Loved it, felt great.

1 week - turned car off and it would not turn on again, full power cut (it was just one fuse blown from the interior light bulb in the back that shifted and hit the steel housing)

Transmission slips on first few shifts after starting car (I later found out that if I don't back in to my parking spots, both work and home are on an incline, then it isn't as bad at all)

1 month - first rain fall and the breaks would make a honking/chattering/rubberized squeaking noise just under the dash (dealership could "never replicate" this but it would happen every rainfall for a year and last a few days until it dried)

3 months - radio screen would not turn on for 2 days then on the third day it did (never happened again)

4 months - a bubbling/gurgling liquid noise would be heard behind the dash at any temp while idling with or without HVAC on (again the dealership could never hear this)

5 months - sunroof stopped automatically opening, I had to hold the switch to fully open or close (after performing the reset on it 5 times it started working again..... randomly .... the next day lol)

6 months - the sunroof seal popped out and got stuck under the rail. (I popped it back in)

9 months - the seal popped out and ripped under the rail (that was a fun replacement...ugh)

11 months - replaced headlight bulbs (also fun.... why the heck would they put one screw at the bottom to hold the caps on....)

12 months the best one - I get a recall letter for possible engine fires, I try to bring the car in and they tell me I have to wait till I get a second letter. So I wait. Still no letter.

I drive over a small bump that I have driven over every day for a year and my wheel bearing cracks. ($900 and $300 rental car)

Oh yeah and thanks to Kia I have had the wonderful opportunity to experience pulling my 4 year old daughter through flames.
It went from driving fine to covered in fire in less than 30 seconds. Thank God we are all ok.
IMG_20210424_204542.jpg

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,378 Posts
Scary situation. I've only had a couple of fires when racing, but driving on the highway and a car erupts in flames, guess the heartbeat went off the charts, just glad everybody ok!
When I first saw the picture, thought is was just a random shot until I read the post.

At least you won't need to worry about the other problems, unless you purchase a Kia Hybrid again.

·
Registered
2013 Ebony SXL Turbo: Original Everything @ about 189K with Drag wheels.
348 Posts
If I hadn't already read so many stories of mechanical problems on here about Kias, I wouldn't believe your first 11 points but the final one, GeeZ! You've got Angels looking out, I'm sure you'll stay away from Kia's from now on, most of us will I think.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I am glad you and your family didn't get hurt. I have a 2013 as well, and I won't look at my little blackbird the same way ever again

1 - 6 of 6 Posts