Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Kia Optima SXL
613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
You Cannot practice for this BUT Practice it anyway .............

In 4.5 yrs Only TSA's, etc for my car ..... BUT last week I drove to an annual NC golf outing with old college friends and on Day 1 got stuck in the mud just off the driveway, got pushed out by 6 guys the next day and parked on opposite side with Front Tires on asphalt;
Day 2 couldn't start my car with Full Dash lights;
I tried Start IN for 10 seconds AND Lock-Side Smart Key perpendicular to Start Press With & Without Brake Pedal = 0
Saw -- Key Not Detected -- in dash, so I Changed the CR2032 Bty (got red blink lite when pressed = working) BUT No Change in Start or Smart Key talking to Locks.
Car locked itself somewhere in this with No Door entry allowed and when I opened the trunk w/physical Key the Theft Alarm went On, then Off, then On, Off and didn't hear again.
Next a.m. Bty dead; Jump start produced Dash Lights and one Beep but No Start;
Tow Truck guy hooks his Booster to Bty and Sticks Butt-End (not Side) of Smart Key against START and Engine starts as Brand New / Eng left running 15 min;
Said His Booster By-Passed Security System - Really?? (BTW, to me there are 2 Ends and 2 Sides to a Smart Key; IF the Butt-end worked, WHY does Kia say Lock-Side of Key against Start???)
Put car on his truck and Cut Eng Off; Said it took him several Start pushes to Re-start AND he thought System Check data looked funny in dash AND the NAV screen was ON when the car was not on. I THINK he may have gotten his Start Btn Eng Off out of sync BUT all that in talking with dealer 35 mi away convinced me to let him take it there ( and get more Kia Tow $$ ).

You guessed it --- Nothing wrong found --- but Battery showed 22% capacity and IF I felt better replacing it the requ'd AGM Bty is $310;
Back home Advance Auto said my AGM Bty is rated 760 Crank Amps and showed 781A, No Bad Cells, Showed Good all around, and they wouldn't sell me one If asked.
Something Drained the Battery (Security Sys??) and something Caused the No Start.
I'll never know --
BUT -- Change your CR2032 Btys (I thought I had) and have Road Svc #, VIN, and --- How-To-Start with Weak Bty or Non-Functioning Smart Key instructions Ready.

·
Registered
2012 Black SX Prem. & Tech.
2,293 Posts
Maybe loose bolts or corrosion or other weakness in the battery terminal connectors, so that would simulate a low battery condition even though the battery is healthy?

However, can you know for sure your battery is healthy? Maybe it's about to fail, so it's giving odd results when tested? How old is the battery?

·
Registered
2018 Kia Optima
1,165 Posts
Hmmm, are you perhaps speculating that it may have been a combination of a weak car battery AND a weak fob battery? In any case I'm curious/interested about what this Booster is that the tow guy used to get your car started.

·
Registered
2016 Kia Optima SXL
613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I "Think" something like the Security System Drained the battery after I opened the Trunk and the weak alert horn went off 2 times; It has No Terminal residue, measured OK on Adv Auto diagnostic gizmo, is 2.5 yrs old on a 3-Yr Wrty.

Wondering WHY the New CR2032 Bty didn't make a difference for me BUT worked for Tow Truck driver.
Theses are things in the middle of nowhere we need to be prepared for.
The Booster I saw looked like a 15 x 9 in. rectangle made of (2) small-ish rectangles fused together; No idea HOW it could By-pass the Security System as stated but it worked and got me down the 45 degree driveway his tow truck could Not have navigated up.

Will never know BUT this just adds to a list of what you should consider in preparing for various Uh-Oh's ....

·
Registered
2016 Kia Optima SXL
613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
How old is the 12V car battery?
KF, you missed above ...
It has No Terminal residue, measured OK on Adv Auto diagnostic gizmo, is 2.5 yrs old on a 3-Yr Wrty.
No way the battery drained without something like the Security System doing it.
Adv Auto said he wouldn't sell me another Bty IF I asked him to, current Bty Too Good.

·
Registered
2012 Black SX Prem. & Tech.
2,293 Posts
oops sorry for missing that.

such a strange situation, please update us if you figure out anything, or if you see any more symptoms from the car.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts