Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys and gals. any help would be appreciated. i have a 2012 kia optima ex, 125,000 miles. So it has been happening for a while now. when ever i fill up my gas tank all the way my car boggs while driving. Once the tank hits about half ways to 3/4 full it drives normal again. It boggs randomly while driving both highway and city. About a year ago i did have a new fuel pump installed at the dealer, 6 months ago this problem started happening. i did get a code which i dont remember off the top of my head but i had to replace my fuel cap and a evap sensor. The codes did go away but the issue is still happening. Any ideas? Thanks

·
Registered
2012 Black SX Prem. & Tech.
2,180 Posts
What happens if you fill the tank halfway?

Maybe try that, and if the problem happens, then the issue might be caused by the act of filling.

If the problem doesn't happen, them maybe the issue is caused by the fuel level being full.

·
Registered
2020 Kia Soul X-Line 2.0 MPI
102 Posts
Hey guys and gals. any help would be appreciated. i have a 2012 kia optima ex, 125,000 miles. So it has been happening for a while now. when ever i fill up my gas tank all the way my car boggs while driving. Once the tank hits about half ways to 3/4 full it drives normal again. It boggs randomly while driving both highway and city. About a year ago i did have a new fuel pump installed at the dealer, 6 months ago this problem started happening. i did get a code which i dont remember off the top of my head but i had to replace my fuel cap and a evap sensor. The codes did go away but the issue is still happening. Any ideas? Thanks
You need to get the code thing worked out.

Also, are you filling your tank with the engine running? If yes, then stop that practice. All it does is stir whatever is on the near-bottom of your tank and sends it immediately to your fuel line. Todays gas stations pump fuel through that hose hard and fast. Some as quick as delivering 10 gallons in about 1-1/4 minutes. That creates a tidal wave inside your gas tank.

Lastly, use only top-tier fuel brands and a 12-20oz bottle of Techron Concentrate Fuel Tank Cleaner every 4K for your aging engine.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,375 Posts

Also, are you filling your tank with the engine running? If yes, then stop that practice. All it does is stir whatever is on the near-bottom of your tank and sends it immediately to your fuel line. Todays gas stations pump fuel through that hose hard and fast. Some as quick as delivering 10 gallons in about 1-1/4 minutes. That creates a tidal wave inside your gas tank.

Lastly, use only top-tier fuel brands and a 12-20oz bottle of Techron Concentrate Fuel Tank Cleaner every 4K for your aging engine.
Doesn't make much sense. Are you saying that the fuel being pumped into the tank causes debris within the tank to enter the fuel system?
That's what a filter is for, running or not.
Addition of fuel cleaner a waste of money.

·
Registered
2018 Optima EX, 2019 Stinger GT2 AWD
67 Posts
Some vehicles have an issue if the fuel tank is overfilled, like when people click-click-click the fuel nozzle repeatedly to get the last 1/4 cup of fuel into the tank. The fuel backs up into the evap purge system and causes problems. Seeing as how the OP had an evap sensor problem in the past, maybe this is the issue.
When fueling, stop at the first shutoff of the pump nozzle, quit trying to squeeze a few more ounces in.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone. So i have already changed the purge valve. I again filled up my tank and it seems to be getting worse now all the way till the half tank mark now. So as long as i do not fill my tank passed the halfway mark it drives as normal. Im wondering if the fuel pump is going out again? Also i heard we have two fuel pumps for our cars?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

No engine always off. Never try to overfill the tank either.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts