1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Kia Optima
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ADD W1 v3.3: https://www.k5optimastore.com/products/w1-v3-3-dual-oil-catch-can

====

It all started with me perusing K5OS Store for more toys and mods to install on my car. Came across the ADD W1 v3.3 Oil Catch Can... and so down the rabbit hole I went!

I came across this gem of a forum post by GDITech, and it took me over a week to read and digest everything. Feel free to read up if you're interested.
https://www.optimaforums.com/forum/6-engine-technical-discussion/124218-gdi-issues-causes-effects-how-address-them-well-get-most-6.html

Even so I was left with more questions than answers at the end of it all. The biggest thing I understood: One catch can, good. Two catch cans, better! There were posts talking about dual outlet cans, but there wasn't a single post providing insight on how to optimally configure the ADD w1 v3.3, which is a dual inlet catch can.

Per the PDF installation instructions for v3.3: The dual inlets are connected to the PCV valve and the crankcase breather. The outlet is connected to the air intake to provide vacuum. The PCV hose removed from the PCV valve will be plugged.

I emailed David from K5OS and he was very helpful! He assured me that this setup works well and he knows his stuff. There's plenty of great reviews from buyers on the site too for added assurance.

But after reading the forum thread above, I couldn't help but think there may be a better way to set-up the v3.3 instead of two cans or a dual outlet can.

Honestly this post is really about me figuring out how PCV/Catch Cans work so I can convince myself to buy one, but I figure the best way to find out if I'm wrong is to post it here, so feel free to critique! :D

====
The problem: Oil Catch Cans need a vacuum to pull all the nasty blow-by fumes out of the crankcase. With turbo engines however, vacuum conditions change depending on if the car is driven normally (under vacuum) or driven aggressively (Under boost/WOT). If the only source of vacuum for the v3.3 is from the air intake, it would perform best during boost when the turbo is pulling more air and the crankcase pressure is higher. During normal operation, there wouldn't be much of a vacuum from the air intake.

This actually confirms David's assessment, since you really need the OCC to do its job during boost/WOT when blow-by is at the maximum. But based on my research, if you can always supply a vacuum to the can, it (should) work more effectively!

It was confusing to map it all out in my head, so I decided to poorly draw it on MS Paint. Feel free to judge how bad it is lol

View attachment 236305 View attachment 236307

The first two pictures are supposed to represent the stock system under vacuum and under boost. PCV system is doing its job and pulling the blow-by from the crankcase to be burned in the intake manifold during vacuum, with fresh air coming from the breather hose. With our GDI engines this over time will cause a lot of carbon buildup on the valves. During boost however, there is pressure coming from the intake manifold and the PCV valve does its job preventing boost pressure from entering the crankcase. But with the added blow-by during boost, the crankcase has added pressure with nowhere to go but the breather hose, taking the dirty blow-by with it into the air intake tube.

The Solution(?): Here's my (possibly ill-advised) attempt:
View attachment 236309 View attachment 236311

The inlets are connected to the PCV valve and the breather hose, same as the default install instructions. The outlet is now connected to a T-connector/splitter which then goes to the air intake and the intake manifold, both fitted with check valves. Under normal driving conditions, the intake manifold would be the strongest vacuum and provide suction for the OCC. The check valve from the air intake side will ensure the vacuum is only applied to the can. Under boost/WOT, the check valve on the intake manifold takes over PCV duties and ensures back pressure doesn't enter from the intake manifold. Vacuum during boost is then supplied by the air intake. Granted I assume the vacuum here isn't as strong, but the added crankcase blow-by pressure during spirited driving should help the blow-by find its way to the OCC.

My thoughts: I THINK this is the ideal setup since it provides the catch can a more consistent vacuum that can self-regulate based on driving conditions. No un-metered air is introduced into the closed system. This setup also may provide a negative crankcase pressure during normal driving which is a benefit? (I don't know for certain but that's another rabbit hole for another day). Lastly I can sleep at night knowing I'm not just venting blow-by into the atmosphere and more importantly my interior cabin lol.

PLEASE critique the crap out of this and poke any holes you find. If you're up for it maybe provide some improvements as well! Worst case scenario I'll just go with a single can setup between the PCV and intake manifold and call it a day. Thanks for reading!

·
Registered
2014 Kia Optima
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Not sure if the pictures attached properly so posting them here:

First two:
Under Vacuum.jpg Under Boost.jpg

And the other two:
Under Vacuum v3.3.jpg Under Boost v3.3.jpg

·
Registered
2014 Kia Optima
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Any help or insight here would be appreciated! I'm still struggling with figuring out how to configure the V3.3 catch can. Thanks guys

·
Registered
2014 Kia Optima
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey David!

I had an old email thread with him a long while back and it kind of went on circles since his suggestions were completely different than the instructions from your product page which confused the heck out of me ?. Also neither configurations would solve the issues brought up by that other thread to provide consistent suction both during boost and under vaccum. The V3.3 is a bit more expensive than just a single catch can so I hoped to get sound understanding before pulling the trigger lol.

It's possible that there's not enough info out there to go by so maybe I'll call it a day and just do a simple PCV single catch can. Better than nothing at all that's for sure lol.

·
Your K5 Optima Vendor
2020 Audi R8 V10+ & Tesla Model X P100D
29,123 Posts
Hey David!

I had an old email thread with him a long while back and it kind of went on circles since his suggestions were completely different than the instructions from your product page which confused the heck out of me ?. Also neither configurations would solve the issues brought up by that other thread to provide consistent suction both during boost and under vaccum. The V3.3 is a bit more expensive than just a single catch can so I hoped to get sound understanding before pulling the trigger lol.

It's possible that there's not enough info out there to go by so maybe I'll call it a day and just do a simple PCV single catch can. Better than nothing at all that's for sure lol.
Hello,

Hmm that is interesting, I have never heard of that before, every one we send to the manufacturer usually reports back to us that they were well taken care of by Jack. We have hundreds of customers running these ADD W1 3.3 catch cans and have yet to run into a single customer who bought it and could not get it installed properly and working.

We will soon be rolling out a newer kit that includes check valves and a breather filter, which might be what you were looking for. The thing is, Jack is aware of this, and should be able to inform you of this when you reach out to him again.

·
Registered
2014 Kia Optima
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
He was definitely very quick to respond and helpful, but it could also be because I was only asking about concepts rather than direct questions about troubleshooting installation. The confusion really stemmed from the differences in configuration and also the benefits I wanted to achieve with what I learned from GDItech's post. So yes just to clarify his customer service was awesome especially to someone who hasn't purchased anything yet ?

Looking forward to when you roll out the newer kit!

·
Your K5 Optima Vendor
2020 Audi R8 V10+ & Tesla Model X P100D
29,123 Posts
He was definitely very quick to respond and helpful, but it could also be because I was only asking about concepts rather than direct questions about troubleshooting installation. The confusion really stemmed from the differences in configuration and also the benefits I wanted to achieve with what I learned from GDItech's post. So yes just to clarify his customer service was awesome especially to someone who hasn't purchased anything yet ?

Looking forward to when you roll out the newer kit!
New kits are out now, we just have not yet updated the pricing on our site. Started shipping them out on Monday of this week! :)

·
Registered
2018 Kia Optima
1,098 Posts
Although the hose routing is pretty much the same, it should be pointed out that the above pic is that of a 3rd-gen (and/or 2nd-gen?) Optima 2.0T engine (note the location of the PCV valve to the left of the oil filler cap, as well as the location of the small breather filter on the right side of the valve cover). Here is how it the hose routing would look like on a 4th-gen 2.0T Optima (here, the PCV valve is to the right of the oil filler cap, and the breather filter is towards the back/engine firewall):

1 - 10 of 10 Posts