Kia Optima Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Kia '13 Optima EX
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this.... is a problem. I can't get to the $#*& thing and the Kia dealer tech SAYS he can't either. "New assembly" was their verdict (at $750.... uh no).

Might anyone have any ideas?

2013 Optima EX
with K5Optima Store mods:
LED headlight mod
LED front switchbacks
LED fog lights

Thanks for any ideas that don't cost me a limb. ;-)
Nancy

·
Registered
2012 Black SX Prem. & Tech.
1,919 Posts
First thought is to remove the headlight assembly from the car, and shake or tap it against a surface to dislodge the mouse and dump it out.

Second thought is to use a coat hanger wire or other hook to "fish" out the mouse. But this has several problems, even though you can leave the headlight assembly installed in the car: 1) you can scratch the inside of the clear plastic, so it will look terrible, and 2) you might break up the mouse and have all kinds of parts left in there. So even if you use a soft plastic hook to fish out the mouse, I'm wondering if it's stuck in there so good that it will come apart and make more mess

Third thought is to check if the bottom seal on the headlight assembly is still intact, or is there a gap on the underside there where the plastic is not sealed shut? If there is a gap, you can try blowing compressed air to dislodge the mouse, and once he is dislodged, then try to fish him out using something that won't scratch, like a stick with tape on the end.

Please keep us updated on what happens

·
Registered
2013 Kia '13 Optima EX
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is it dead? Could you remove bulb assembly so it could crawl out?
He’s quite deceased I’m afraid. He was even when I found him.

·
Registered
2013 Kia '13 Optima EX
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
First thought is to remove the headlight assembly from the car, and shake or tap it against a surface to dislodge the mouse and dump it out.

Second thought is to use a coat hanger wire or other hook to "fish" out the mouse. But this has several problems, even though you can leave the headlight assembly installed in the car: 1) you can scratch the inside of the clear plastic, so it will look terrible, and 2) you might break up the mouse and have all kinds of parts left in there. So even if you use a soft plastic hook to fish out the mouse, I'm wondering if it's stuck in there so good that it will come apart and make more mess

Third thought is to check if the bottom seal on the headlight assembly is still intact, or is there a gap on the underside there where the plastic is not sealed shut? If there is a gap, you can try blowing compressed air to dislodge the mouse, and once he is dislodged, then try to fish him out using something that won't scratch, like a stick with tape on the end.

Please keep us updated on what happens
thanks so much for your ideas!! I have tried the wire through the bulb socket idea, and couldn’t get the wire through to the area where the mouse is... is removing the whole housing something an ordinary person could do? I can change bulbs and such, but I’m not sure about further dissection. 😉

·
Registered
34 Posts
thanks so much for your ideas!! I have tried the wire through the bulb socket idea, and couldn’t get the wire through to the area where the mouse is... is removing the whole housing something an ordinary person could do? I can change bulbs and such, but I’m not sure about further dissection. 😉
I think you should definitely be able to. I'd say the largest reason for the high cost of replacement is the assembly itself, they can be pretty expensive.

·
Registered
2013 Kia '13 Optima EX
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think you should definitely be able to. I'd say the largest reason for the high cost of replacement is the assembly itself, they can be pretty expensive.
thanks very much! I will look into how the unit comes out and give it a shot!

·
Registered
2013 Kia '13 Optima EX
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
2020 kia optima lx
5 Posts
Sad to say, but those lazy bums at the Kia dealership should be able to remove that beast. They want to make an easy $750. Shameful!.

·
Registered
2916 optima EX
2 Posts
Do you have a good shop vac? If so can rig something to the hose that will fit through the bulb opening and sock it out. It won't fit through the hose but if the vac is powerful enough you should be able to at least get it to the opening.

·
Registered
4 Posts
So this.... is a problem. I can't get to the $#*& thing and the Kia dealer tech SAYS he can't either. "New assembly" was their verdict (at $750.... uh no).

View attachment 249375
View attachment 249376

2013 Optima EX
LED headlight mod
LED front switchbacks
LED fog lights

Nancy
Easy fix. Removing the headlight assembly is easy. 2, 10mm bolts on top, remove the several plastic screws and shroud, then air dam, also remove 1 screw from the corner of the driver side fender. The bumper should slide forward and you can work the assembly away from body.
I assume the dust covers are removed or missing, for the mouse to get inside, but that doesn't matter. Next you want to heat up the seal around the headlight assembly. The oven is best, set to 225-240° F for 10 minutes or (because of the mouse) use a durable cardboard box and a heat gun. Check out videos for retrofitting headlights.
The Optima headlights are sealed with plastic clips and waterproof rope. Pry the assembly open the, unscrew the remaining pieces, then you can shake out the mouse.
Clean the inside, seal whichever hole or access mouse used, and then rewarm the assembly to reassemble the headlamp. Clamp the assembly tightly (preferably ratchet straps wrapped around) then allow to cool, then reinstall.

Total time (being cautious) 1hr, money spent $0.00

·
Registered
9 Posts

View attachment 249375
View attachment 249376

2013 Optima EX
LED headlight mod
LED front switchbacks
LED fog lights

Nancy
So on my optima I keep getting bugs in my headlight somehow, and the fact that a mouse got in there is crazy!!! What I did was I removed my light assembly, then shook it and used a coat hanger to dig them out, this has happened twice!

·
Registered
2013 Kia '13 Optima EX
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Wow insane!!

How is it even possible that he could have gotten inside there?
That's a very good question! I haven't worked it out yet. I DID leave off the dust cover from the low beams when I installed the LED bulbs, but there's still no way it could have gotten in that way.

·
Registered
2013 Kia '13 Optima EX
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Update for anyone interested.

The mouse is GONE. I ordered one of those flexible claw thingies, but it was too big to fit in through the high beam bulb socket (only just barely too big) which is the only opening into that cavity there is that I could find without removing the assembly - I just wasn't up to that. I ended up using a combination of some aluminum wire creatively bent (and sworn at, as it was too flexible but the only wire I had in a large enough gauge) and alternating with two metal jeweler's picks with curved tips taped together (for length) with T-Rex tape. With enough patience (and again, swearing) eventually I maneuvered the now-very-dead mouse to the high beam socket and pull it out with the help of needle-nose pliers.... ummmm in pieces. :sick: It was pretty disgusting, but I actually think the smell was the worst part. That's still in my nostrils. THEN the lights on that side didn't work... but fortunately it was only a plug that had been knocked out and all is well again. I certainly hope that mouse was able to communicate a "don't do this!" message to his family before he croaked. Thanks to everyone for the ideas and moral support during this crisis. lol

Be well,
Nancy

·
Registered
Optima SXL
10 Posts
Update for anyone interested.

The mouse is GONE. I ordered one of those flexible claw thingies, but it was too big to fit in through the high beam bulb socket (only just barely too big) which is the only opening into that cavity there is that I could find without removing the assembly - I just wasn't up to that. I ended up using a combination of some aluminum wire creatively bent (and sworn at, as it was too flexible but the only wire I had in a large enough gauge) and alternating with two metal jeweler's picks with curved tips taped together (for length) with T-Rex tape. With enough patience (and again, swearing) eventually I maneuvered the now-very-dead mouse to the high beam socket and pull it out with the help of needle-nose pliers.... ummmm in pieces. :sick: It was pretty disgusting, but I actually think the smell was the worst part. That's still in my nostrils. THEN the lights on that side didn't work... but fortunately it was only a plug that had been knocked out and all is well again. I certainly hope that mouse was able to communicate a "don't do this!" message to his family before he croaked. Thanks to everyone for the ideas and moral support during this crisis. lol

Be well,
Nancy
You should be a surgeon!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts