Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2014 sx turbo
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2015 I recently purchased . This is truly my dream car in every way. I’ve wanted one since it came out with the price tag over $30k . Now that I’ve finally obtained one , with just over 100k on it and In superb, truly like new condition and one owner. As quick as she is now, we all know she’s a hefty car weighing in at almost 5k lbs! So my goal is wanting to get her over 300hp to start with, and see from there. I have $600.00 to spend , and with the exception of welding, I’m capable of doing most every other install. Please and thank you for all ideas! I truly am in love with the first car ever in my life and I’m excited to hear everyone’s experience here!
2A180967-6698-43D2-B72B-D694F5F46333.jpeg

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,398 Posts
Just get the Lap3 Uncle $589.95 (K5 Store), 93 octane setting +50HP, but you'll need the HKS racing plugs $28.99 ea which will take you over your budget, but only slightly. There was just a used unit for sale, but possibly has been sold, might want to check.

·
Registered
2014 sx turbo
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just get the Lap3 Uncle $589.95 (K5 Store), 93 octane setting +50HP, but you'll need the HKS racing plugs $28.99 ea which will take you over your budget, but only slightly. There was just a used unit for sale, but possibly has been sold, might want to check.
Holy ****! And I just run premium like Normal? New plugs and that’s it ?

·
Registered
2015 Kia Optima
258 Posts
Ditto the comments above. On my car, the Lap3 Uncle Chip and plugs was worth 31hp on the 93 setting and 23hp on the 91 setting (where I kept it due to 91 octane fuel we have here). If you get 93 octane in your area, you can run that setting for a bit more power.

·
Your K5 Optima Vendor
Tesla Model X P100D
28,678 Posts
Welcome to the Optima Forums @Rkiel15sxtgdi

Congrats on picking up your 2015 Optima SX Turbo.

As @Turbonut & @WS6_Keith recommended, the LAP3 Uncle Chip Performance Tune is going to be your best bet.

The only mandatory requirement for running the tune we sell is the HKS M45XL Spark Plugs to go with it.

We also highly recommend the use of 1 of the catch cans we carry in our Catch Can Product Collection on the website.

Just let us know if you have any questions, or if you would like a discount on your order with us! :)

-David

·
Registered
478 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2012 Kia Optima
3,486 Posts
I have a 2015 I recently purchased . This is truly my dream car in every way. I’ve wanted one since it came out with the price tag over $30k . Now that I’ve finally obtained one , with just over 100k on it and In superb, truly like new condition and one owner. As quick as she is now, we all know she’s a hefty car weighing in at almost 5k lbs! So my goal is wanting to get her over 300hp to start with, and see from there. I have $600.00 to spend , and with the exception of welding, I’m capable of doing most every other install. Please and thank you for all ideas! I truly am in love with the first car ever in my life and I’m excited to hear everyone’s experience here!

Actually the Optimas are fairly light weight and are some of the first vehicles to use light weight steel in their constructions. that's why the Turbo's are so fun to drive, they have a great power to weight ratio. Your 2015 weighs 3,237 pounds btw.

·
Registered
2015 SX-T SWP, 2012 EX, Spicy Red
73 Posts
I have a 2015 I recently purchased . This is truly my dream car in every way. I’ve wanted one since it came out with the price tag over $30k . Now that I’ve finally obtained one , with just over 100k on it and In superb, truly like new condition and one owner. As quick as she is now, we all know she’s a hefty car weighing in at almost 5k lbs! So my goal is wanting to get her over 300hp to start with, and see from there. I have $600.00 to spend , and with the exception of welding, I’m capable of doing most every other install. Please and thank you for all ideas! I truly am in love with the first car ever in my life and I’m excited to hear everyone’s experience here! View attachment 247946 View attachment 247945
Its a pretty cool car man. The ONLY thing you can do for $600 is buy the LAP 3 U.N.C.L.E. chip from The K5 Optima Store. A lot of people here would say he is tge very first retailer to get with. I bought my Magnaflows from him and a short ram intake with bolted in Heat shield and retains tge stock snorkel and a big ass round filter. ?($289) I walked right by a BMW 328 full tilt in no-mans land on the Woodrow Wilson Bridge (full tilt means it was on-full on...nobody could go faster.... but the Catback Exhaust system is $1089. The Lap 5 kit ($589) - but the HKS spark plugs you need are $115.00 plus shipping. So you only need $100 more to m a kd hour car have 50 HP more on 94octane 35 on 91oct, and 20hp on anything lower. I have used this chip on the stock plugs and it hauls ass....for a while. The chip is designed for .028 HKS, Iridium-Platinum plugs. Since the stock plugs are also HKS platinum/iridium and they are close to what the lap3 computer can handle and it will spin in first and second

·
Registered
2015 SX-T SWP, 2012 EX, Spicy Red
73 Posts
Holy ****! And I just run premium like Normal? New plugs and that’s it ?
Well, yes and no. Yes, thats all you need to roll. However, over time oil blow by (whatever the h**l that is), will get thicker in your intake and exhaust, so you really need a catch can. I recommend the dual inlet model from the K5 Optima store. It has its own little dipstick, (me, most days), but seriously...knowing when to dump it is a nice feature. It is $250. It can wait for a few pay periods though.....and my shop charged me $50 to put it in.
I also agree that the weight on the Optima with the dual sunroof is 3450lb, just to put a number out there that I have 10 years or so experience and 2 optimas to prove my general knowledge there. They are as light as Mustangs and Camaros, and put out almost 280 hp. Thats a quick car. Not FAST!!! Like a Coyote 5.0, but a uick like an ecoboost Mustang. Add a Cat back Magnaglow system, good quality intake with heat shield then there is another 20 hp. I feel the same way as you man. I bought a brand new 2012 EX , in Spicy Red, but I drooled over the dual sunroof turbo models that were $36k. So, like you, I found a 2015 with 89k from 1 owner with all receipts from Ourisman FFX Kia. $10,900. Totally stock and owned by a 59 yr old school teacher who visited her kids every weekend...in Cleveland. That's why she used 10k mile synthetic oil, and there were so many requests to "powerwash undercarriage hot" on her service tickets....the rough roads up the explain all the 4 wheel alignment.
I spoke to her. What the dealer told me was true. Also, she backed into a pole but is was cosmetic damage only and she had it repaired. Not reported to carfax(and rightly so). Anyway, my car flies and I love looking at it , adding new performance parts, but not anything really on the outside except the red "T" on the grill. (It is $29 @K5 store). It was 49 plus shipping just a few months ago, so I got mine from Kia Mobis in S.Korea. But for $29, I would buy from David @ the K5 Optima store.
Anyway, best of luck. Dont do too many things too fast, and ENJOY DRIVING your car! (vs me having it in the shop for 2 months....but I got all the neat stuff installed and I am a happy camper....but those 2.5 months sucked. I had to drive my 2012, which after driving the turbo, was like driving a car with a trunk full of concrete. Kk, enough out of me!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts