Kia Optima Forums banner

Morimoto XB35 HID install help! Bulb won't fit in housing

6K views 17 replies 7 participants last post by  Blonmen 
#1 ·
I've finally gotten around to changing out my HID system into Morimoto XB35 HID kit from K5optima store and I am having 2 fitment issues....

1st problem i'm having is that I got into an accident couple of years ago and I've had my driver side headlight replaced. The shop that my insurance used didn't use Kia headlight but instead used OEM headlight.
The issue is that the OEM model has a slightly different 3 prong tab spacing and I can insert the bulb into the 3 prong space but can't turn it to lock it in....
Anybody have any clue on how this might be alleviated?

2nd problem i'm having is that the bulb + the connection of the bulb to the ballast is too long and I can't close/seal the headlight cover....
I've searched all through out this forum but haven't seen a single person with this issue.... any idea what the problem is? I'm having this problem on both OEM and Kia headlight.

3rd problem is that the ballast are buzzing on both sides, even with use of relay and anti-flicker capacitor.... any clue what i should do?

Thanks guys!

See less See more
#3 ·
ok, i should've clarified. the driver side headlight assembly was replaced with OEM spec aftermarket headlight assembly by the body shop that did the repair.

The female three prong tab that locks in the light bulb must be ever so slightly different... the HID bulb from Elite XB35 will not lock, while the old 3Five hid bulb does slightly fit...

2nd issue i'm having is that the Elite XB35 bulb + the connector for the bulb sticks out too far and I can't close the dust cover

#5 · (Edited)
So I didn't take a picture.... but the when the bulb is connected to the housing, the **** thing sticks out past the bulb cover....
any tips? I can't be the only one having this issue....?

So... I noticed that some people here have these types of covers...

http://www.optimaforums.com/forum/a...conversion-installation-dustcoverwithhole.jpg

I don't have that and have the flat ones... anybody have a part number for the one in this photo?

#6 ·
Yes the part number for that cover is a drill lol, that’s what people do when installing HID. Your bulbs should have some sort of rubber grommet to cover up the hole so it doesn’t attract moisture etc. Follow a few videos on YouTube on how to install HID and you’ll be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#7 ·
right.... the problem is, I had an old HID which fit fine with the headlight dust cover. The Morimoto XB35 HID kit has a longer light bulb + connector which causes the overall assembly to stick out past the dust cover, which can't be covered by the rubber grommet...

#9 ·
So, I ended up calling my insurance and go over the repair bill.
Turns out, the shop charged me for the OEM Kia headlight but bought a aftermarket. The shop replaced it with Genuine Kia part and the bulb will fit now.
The only small issue I still have is that the bulb sticks out a bit, but that's manageable

#10 ·
I've finally gotten around to changing out my HID system into Morimoto XB35 HID kit from K5optima store and I am having 2 fitment issues....

1st problem i'm having is that I got into an accident couple of years ago and I've had my driver side headlight replaced. The shop that my insurance used didn't use Kia headlight but instead used OEM headlight.
The issue is that the OEM model has a slightly different 3 prong tab spacing and I can insert the bulb into the 3 prong space but can't turn it to lock it in....
Anybody have any clue on how this might be alleviated?

I'm actually having the same problem. On my optima it seems that the base/tube end of the projector sits very close to the triangle shaped mounting plate. As a result if the bulb base has thick plastic tabs or there is any plastic tube at the bulb base above the tabs then it will not be able to lock into the plate.

I've had this happen with a few LED bulbs I've tried. On those I was able to remove the bulb base collar and grind it down. Today I tried to make an HID H11 bulb work and ended up breaking a mounting tab off... sigh..
Will have to look more closely at H11 bulbs before I order next time..

#11 ·
The morimoto xb bulbs wouldn't fit either.. Did manage to file the tabs down without breaking them but have concerns of them breaking later with heat etc as well they don't seem to have much of a hotspot so possibly aren't aligned well now from me modifying.

I think I may pull out the housings and take my dremel to the base of the projector bowl neck where it almost touches the mounting plate where the tabs lock in. Is an aluminum reflector bowl I would imagine?

#12 ·
Take a look at the side of the bulb; near the base it should provide the bulb-model (H11, H8, etc.). I purchased a set of H11A-6500K bulbs from The Retrofit Source and the boxes read correct. However, after many minutes of frustration attempting to install I thought to inspect the bulb and notice the model is H8 instead of H11.

#16 ·
So providing an update. turns out the **** body shop charged me for OEM headlight housing but used aftermarket.
The aftermarket headlight housing has a slightly different size which was preventing me from locking the headlight into it... called my insurance and had them replace it and everything works now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.