Kia Optima Forums banner

101 - 119 of 119 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Kia Optima
104 Posts
Well I just got my new bulb adapters and the return wire is no longer visible in the light beam as they position the bulb differently in the housing.

I was just behind the local Walmart checking them on their back wall and two local police pulled up to see what I was doing there at 11:00 pm at night so I told them. They offered to drive towards me to see if they were out of focus or blinding and after 4 passes by each of them they both said yes there're bright but by no means blinding or unsafe to other motorist. So then we (me and the two police cars took to the street) I followed behind each one at several different distances and yet again, bright but by no means blinding or unsafe.

I was just told by two local police offices they are 100% fine and not unsafe in any means.

·
Registered
2016 Kia Optima
104 Posts
Here is an updated picture of the light pattern, no more return wire shadow, hot spots, the only thing wrong is the light above the cut off line, which isn't anywhere close to being as bright as the main light beam.
20161010_005342.jpg

·
Your K5 Optima Vendor
2020 Audi R8 V10+ & Tesla Model X P100D
29,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #103
Funny you said that...I did just that today. I'm still going to wait to see if the other ones I ordered fit before I use these but just in case they don't. When there is a will there is a way...lol.

View attachment 212154 View attachment 212162
Haha nice!

That's exactly what I did to mine. Kdm headlights are both h7 .Works like a charm.
:thumbsup:

Ok, they look awesome, so much brighter then my stocks!!!

View attachment 212202 View attachment 212210
Happy to hear you are enjoying the new lights and how much brighter they are then stock.

Well I just got my new bulb adapters and the return wire is no longer visible in the light beam as they position the bulb differently in the housing.

I was just behind the local Walmart checking them on their back wall and two local police pulled up to see what I was doing there at 11:00 pm at night so I told them. They offered to drive towards me to see if they were out of focus or blinding and after 4 passes by each of them they both said yes there're bright but by no means blinding or unsafe to other motorist. So then we (me and the two police cars took to the street) I followed behind each one at several different distances and yet again, bright but by no means blinding or unsafe.

I was just told by two local police offices they are 100% fine and not unsafe in any means.
Here is an updated picture of the light pattern, no more return wire shadow, hot spots, the only thing wrong is the light above the cut off line, which isn't anywhere close to being as bright as the main light beam.
View attachment 212218
Glad the new bulb holders fit and are not causing the shadow in the headlight pattern any longer.

·
Registered
2014 Kia Cadenza
141 Posts
Actually looks really good, but you are sitting too close to the wall to judge the beam pattern. Try a shot on a wall at 25 ft, I bet that light above the cutoff goes almost away, almost unnoticeable.

·
Registered
2016 Kia Optima
104 Posts
Actually looks really good, but you are sitting too close to the wall to judge the beam pattern. Try a shot on a wall at 25 ft, I bet that light above the cutoff goes almost away, almost unnoticeable.
Thanks

Yeah it's not to bad at a distance. It's still there but it's definitely not that bright. I do a lot of night driving and I was out with some friends tonight and not one of them had anything bad to say about it and I followed it them quite a few times, I was bugging the **** out of them about it...lol.

Also I noticed if there is any other light around you can't see it, really only when it's pitch black out is it noticeable.

20161011_012005.jpg
20161010_230517.jpg

·
Registered
16 Optima Optima
47 Posts
I'm probably gonna buy this kit today is it lowbeam high beam or just low beam?
I have a 16 Kia Optima lx
Also I have to have the adapters for the bulbs don't I?
Also is there a discount for forum members at your store?

Thanks for the help.

·
Your K5 Optima Vendor
29,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #111
Got mine installed today

Man those came out nice! Thank you for providing pics for others to see as well.

I'm probably gonna buy this kit today is it lowbeam high beam or just low beam?
I have a 16 Kia Optima lx
Also I have to have the adapters for the bulbs don't I?
Also is there a discount for forum members at your store?

Thanks for the help.
I am very sorry for the delay in response to your questions posted here, I am just now seeing this post.

For the 2016 Kia Optima, it is one bulb for both the low beam and high beams.

No, there are no adapters needed for the 9005 bulbs for the 2016 Kia Optima.

Sure, we can offer you a forum member discount. If you have not already ordered them yet, shoot us an email and we can send you over a discount code to order with.

·
Registered
2015 KIA Optima
123 Posts
Hey Bruce, thanks for all the info, I was planning to install these on my 2015 EX with H7's tomorrow. It would appear I also bought the adapters you bought that require modification, I am trying to source out a dremel I can borrow now lol... What's the link for the other adapters you found on ebay?

Thanks

·
Your K5 Optima Vendor
29,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #113
Hey Bruce, thanks for all the info, I was planning to install these on my 2015 EX with H7's tomorrow. It would appear I also bought the adapters you bought that require modification, I am trying to source out a dremel I can borrow now lol... What's the link for the other adapters you found on ebay?

Thanks
I know you were responding to Bruce, but I figured I'd mention that there is no need for you to dremel out the bulb adapters if you purchase the right ones online.

·
Registered
2017 Kia Optima Hybrid
70 Posts
My ’17 Optima Hybrid EX just had Halogen projectors using an H7 bulb for low beam. My previous car had OEM HID headlights and I really missed them driving my Hybrid in the dark. I purchased a Morimoto HID conversion kit from K5 Optima Store to install. Thanks to David for answering my questions and promptly shipping them out!

There are plenty of good instructional videos for installing HID conversions in Halogen projectors so I’ll just stick to my experience installing it in my 2017 Optima Hybrid.

The kit is high quality with weatherpack connectors. The2017 Optima requires a Canbus harness instead of relay harness. Canbus is sensitive to load, so the car must be fooled into thinking there isn’t an HID bulb in place of the H7 bulb. Otherwise you’d get warning lights on dash.

Not griping here, just the facts.

The kit does not include H7 adapters which are needed to hold the H7 HID conversion bulb in the housing. I sourced a pair that were solid, that is no slit in them. The slit allows you to slide the adapter over the wires. If HID bulb connectors were removable and small enough, they could possibly fit through the adapter. I just cut a slit in my solid adapters. Note, if you have to slit adapters, do it 180 degrees opposite of the tabs on adapter where the flat edge of bulb sits. Bulb only fits one way in adapter.

While it shows the connectors removable off the HID bulb in the instructions, it appears the H7 HID bulb connectors are solidly attached. This means after drilling the hole in the headlight cover, I had to remove wires from a connector to get them through the hole. Mark the side of connector with the Red wire so you get it right upon reassembly. You’ll also need a proper tool to remove the terminal. Before reinstall you may have to bend the tab on terminal so it locks in the connector.

The connector is offset on rear of HID bulb. When inserted in adapter, the bulb would not sit flat. I had to grind some plastic out of the H7 adapter and off the side of connector on HID bulb.

H7 Halogen bulbs are not sensitive to polarity. HID are. The two wires to the H7 bulb in the headlight housing are Black. I used a test light to confirm positive terminal with the headlights on. Check both sides to be sure of positive terminal in event they are reversed.

The Hybrid is pretty busy under the hood, especially on the driver side. I used 3M double sided tape to secure the ballast, igniter and Canbus modules. I had to install the ballast on top of the fuse/relay housingon driver side. The Canbus module is attached to front of relay housing. The ballast clears the hood by inches. If I ever have to get into that fuse/relay box, I’ll just have to remove ballast connectors.

I can’t wait to drive at night to see the difference.

Attachments

·
Registered
2017 Kia Optima Hybrid
70 Posts
....cont....the congested driver side. I'm guessing a non hybrid would have more open space.

And a pic of the little H7 bulb I replaced.

H7 adapters I ordered from US Amazon seller, link below. The pic may show them slit but mine were not. Note that some adapters are shipped from China which will take longer to arrive than a US seller.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Then Halogen before and HID conversion after pics. Much better lighting, sharp cutoff so nobody is flicking their brights at me.

Attachments

·
Your K5 Optima Vendor
29,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #116
My ’17 Optima Hybrid EX just had Halogen projectors using an H7 bulb for low beam. My previous car had OEM HID headlights and I really missed them driving my Hybrid in the dark. I purchased a Morimoto HID conversion kit from K5 Optima Store to install. Thanks to David for answering my questions and promptly shipping them out!
Thank you so much for your business with us, and for taking the time to provide this feedback and info for other members of the site.

We look forward to working with you again soon! Hope you are loving the new headlights! :)

·
Registered
2018 Kia Optima
24 Posts
Just ordered the Morimoto Elite Complete HID Conversion Kits from K5 Optima Store. Sent him a PM with info of exactly what I was wanting and he promptly contacted me with what he thought would be a good match for my needs. Good stuff K5. Good stuff indeed.

·
Your K5 Optima Vendor
29,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #118
Just ordered the Morimoto Elite Complete HID Conversion Kits from K5 Optima Store. Sent him a PM with info of exactly what I was wanting and he promptly contacted me with what he thought would be a good match for my needs. Good stuff K5. Good stuff indeed.
Awesome, thank you for placing your order with us on the site.

Let us know how you like the new setup once you've had a chance to get them installed and all broken in. ;)

·
Your K5 Optima Vendor
29,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #119
Looking to upgrade your stock halogen lighting on your Optima?

Make sure to check out our HID section.

Whether you have OEM HIDs or need a conversion kit, we've got you covered.

We offer several different options available when it comes to HID lighting.

The Retrofit Source Complete HID Conversion Kits

We offer HID lighting for many different vehicles, not just the Optima.

Also be sure to view many of the products we sell here on the forum below:

Optima Forums - Sub forum - Site Sponsor - K5 Optima Store

101 - 119 of 119 Posts