Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I have a 2012 Optima Hybrid that has developed a weird moonroof issue. Once I hit about 70mph, it starts to whistle. I can crack the moonroof open and the whistling stops. Also, I recently drove through a rainstorm and the whistling didn't manifest even going faster than 70mph. I think the moonroof needs adjustment or a seal is going bad, but before taking it to the dealership, was wondering if there was something I could do myself.

It's a 2012 with 192K miles on it and still going STRONG despite a few cosmetic and wear and tear issues. Thanks all!

·
Registered
2013 Ebony SXL Turbo: Original Everything @ about 189K with Drag wheels.
348 Posts
Guessing you already opened it and checked for leaves, twigs and debris that may cause a seal air leak? While there check that the drains are clear, one on each corner. Other than that, look for anything obvious happening to the seal (hardening, cut, mis-shaped, etc).

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Guessing you already opened it and checked for leaves, twigs and debris that may cause a seal air leak? While there check that the drains are clear, one on each corner. Other than that, look for anything obvious happening to the seal (hardening, cut, mis-shaped, etc).
Yeppers.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hey all, I have a 2012 Optima Hybrid that has developed a weird moonroof issue. Once I hit about 70mph, it starts to whistle. I can crack the moonroof open and the whistling stops. Also, I recently drove through a rainstorm and the whistling didn't manifest even going faster than 70mph. I think the moonroof needs adjustment or a seal is going bad, but before taking it to the dealership, was wondering if there was something I could do myself.

It's a 2012 with 192K miles on it and still going STRONG despite a few cosmetic and wear and tear issues. Thanks all!
Check the rubber seals on the side of the car's frame, where it meets the seals on the side of the glass. Mine came of, and were folding/pinching between the frame and the seals on the glass causing an improper seal. Kia wanted $1200+. Gorilla Glue wanted $3.40. I went with Gorilla Glue, and have been using my sunroof open and close multiple times a day for the past year with no more issues. :p

·
Registered
190 Posts
If you tried all suggestions above try loosening the panel I believe there are 6 hex screws three on each side. Just loosen them do not remove them completely! have someone press down lightly on the outside glass and tighten the screws again, this should tighten the seal. Note you do not need to press down hard just enough to make better contact to the rubber seal. Hope this helps! good luck

1 - 5 of 5 Posts