Kia Optima Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
Australian delivered Platinum-spec Optimas have mood lighting underneath the front door infinity speakers. Does anybody know how the mood lighting is operated? There is a red light either end that is illuminated. I do not know how this works. Is it on permanently? The lenses are long and clear and curve up under the door trim casing beneath the speakers.:)

·
Registered
134 Posts
They're only on when the dashboard lights dim for night driving. They're very obscure, although I suspect it would be all too easy to go the the other extreme by making them too bright. They could do with a bit more luminescence, but not too much.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Wrong newbs. The mood lights are on all the time.
There is one red led then a "fiber optic" type plastic pipe for the light to disperse.
or you could swap them out for led light strips :D

Can you give us more detail on how you replaced the LED strips? I want to replace the factory one with ones that are a little brighter, but still red. What products did you use? How long did it take? ect.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Cool....Thanks for sharing....yes..are the LED strips difficult to fit?
I could be wrong but the led strips that nil is using don't"fit" they have adhessive on the back side to stick to whatever substance you choose. I have some just like those for led footwells.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I actually thought that my mood lights weren't even working, or that I had to turn them on manually. The amount of light they give off looks nothing like it does in the KIA brochure. And I don't even know where the mood lighting on the lower center console is. It's a bit disappointing, really. :(

·
Registered
232 Posts
So after 3 months of having the car I just noticed last night I had this mood lighting. I never knew I had it.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
I actually thought that my mood lights weren't even working, or that I had to turn them on manually. The amount of light they give off looks nothing like it does in the KIA brochure. And I don't even know where the mood lighting on the lower center console is. It's a bit disappointing, really. :(
Ya it's outright ridiculous that Kia would even mention it as a feature! I mean who test drives car at night?? They scammed me lol

Sent from my JB iPh4S v5.1.1

·
Registered
10 Posts
So where can you buy mood lighting lights from? Is their a part number? Im looking o. Carid. Com and I cant find any, cos I want to change all the red out for green.

·
Registered
2020 Horizon Blue Kia Optima SX
36 Posts
the 2020 SX's have a really nice red mood lighting along the dash and under each doors armrest. I think its just about the perfect brightness, it gives a clean red glow but doesnt light up the interior at all. I just wish they had the same lighting inside the center console cup holders. I'll try to take a picture tonight.

·
Registered
2019 Optima SX
81 Posts
the 2020 SX's have a really nice red mood lighting along the dash and under each doors armrest. I think its just about the perfect brightness, it gives a clean red glow but doesnt light up the interior at all. I just wish they had the same lighting inside the center console cup holders. I'll try to take a picture tonight.
You should be able to change your Red mood lighting to a different color through you settings. My 2019 has I think 6 or 7 different colors, I currently have it set for purple. You can also configure it to change automatically when you are using the Smart Drive Mode. It will change to either white (Comfort), Red (Sport) or blue (Eco) as the drive mode changes.

·
Registered
10 Posts
So what is the clear strip called that you need for the glow to go through? Cos I'm completely lost. I cant find any parts for the mood lighting on the door.

·
Registered
2020 Horizon Blue Kia Optima SX
36 Posts
You should be able to change your Red mood lighting to a different color through you settings. My 2019 has I think 6 or 7 different colors, I currently have it set for purple. You can also configure it to change automatically when you are using the Smart Drive Mode. It will change to either white (Comfort), Red (Sport) or blue (Eco) as the drive mode changes.
Yup, I found these setting today in my 2020. I only wish the rest of the dash and console lights changed too, it's kind of off when all the console controls are red but the mood lighting is blue or violet

·
Registered
10 Posts
You have to pull out dash and solder off old led lights and put on new ones. From what I hear it's a week long job and very tedious. The radio I dont know, you might have to get a new one. The shifter light for the p,r,n,d+-. Is the same way, have to take off the shifter cover find the light and get a new one.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts