Kia Optima Forums banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
So the resistors are indeed 1206 (3216). I ended up replacing only one 5100 ohm resistor per board with a 680 ohm resistor (since I had 1% tolerance versions of them). Having the 5100 ohm and 680 ohm resistors in parallel gives me an equivalent of 600 ohms.

Here is what the light looks like after the modification. I took the picture in a moderately well illuminated area as it is not very often I drive around somewhere where there are no street lights or external light of any kind.
(The receipt in the door pocket shows the improved lighting and visibility)
DSC03728.jpg

The next two images just show the resistor changed.
DSC03676.jpg DSC03693.jpg

·
Registered
192 Posts
So the resistors are indeed 1206 (3216). I ended up replacing only one 5100 ohm resistor per board with a 680 ohm resistor (since I had 1% tolerance versions of them). Having the 5100 ohm and 680 ohm resistors in parallel gives me an equivalent of 600 ohms.
So if I just replace the top resistor with a 510 ohm SMD, I will have a very similar result as removing both and just adding one 510 ohm back on?

Thanks for the pictures and help.

·
Registered
39 Posts
So if I just replace the top resistor with a 510 ohm SMD, I will have a very similar result as removing both and just adding one 510 ohm back on?

Thanks for the pictures and help.
Replacing on the top resistor will result in an equivalent resistance of approximately 463 ohms. This might be a little to low, but I am not expert on what kind of current these LEDs can handle before burning out. Looking at the picture of the resistor on the first page it looks like ez2click is using a 300 ohm resistor. I would check with them to verify everything is working properly; I believe they did this back at the start of the year.

To calculate the effective/equivalent resistance with replacing only one resistor use this formula.

1/(1/5100 + 1/<NEW RESISTOR VALUE>) = equivalent resistance

1/(1/5100 + 1/680) = 600

1/(1/5100 + 1/510) = 463.6

·
Registered
192 Posts
Replacing on the top resistor will result in an equivalent resistance of approximately 463 ohms. This might be a little to low, but I am not expert on what kind of current these LEDs can handle before burning out. Looking at the picture of the resistor on the first page it looks like ez2click is using a 300 ohm resistor. I would check with them to verify everything is working properly; I believe they did this back at the start of the year.
I went to find ez2click's original thread. He said that he used one 470 ohm resistor in each (removing both SMD). OP of this thread had mentioned 510 ohm was used for his (again removing both SMD). Might just pull both the SMD's off and replace with my 510 ohm so I should not have much to worry about. Nephi_05 mentioned that the door mood lights were still not as bright as the center console illumination, which is about as bright as I would want them anyway.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Just got done doing this with the 510 ohm SMD resistors. I had checked the lights before to see how they looked and thought that my driverside was not even working. Come to find out, they never properly clipped in the light on the driverside... :rolleyes:

If anyone wants to give this a try, I have a TON (48 left) of spare 510 ohm SMD resistors. Send me a paypal for enough to cover postage and an envelope (like $1 would work) and I will mail you a set of 4 (should only need 2, but will send 2 extra in case you drop/lose one as they are very small). Just PM me if interested.

·
Registered
32 Posts
So I just did this mod to my passenger door and still hoping to get a little more light. I removed both of the resistors from the board and installed a 470 ohm resistor. Has anyone tried to put a piece of aluminum foil on top of the EL wire inside the door to try and reflect a little more light down? I also purchased some LED strips, but they are too bright for my liking.

joe

·
Registered
32 Posts
Just in case anyone is wondering, I initially replaced the resistors with a 470 ohm resistor and still wasn't thrilled with the amount of light output. I pulled the door panel off again and put a layer of aluminum foil on top of the luminescent strip. The addition of the aluminum foil doubled the amount of light output. I am much happier with it now.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Just in case anyone is wondering, I initially replaced the resistors with a 470 ohm resistor and still wasn't thrilled with the amount of light output. I pulled the door panel off again and put a layer of aluminum foil on top of the luminescent strip. The addition of the aluminum foil doubled the amount of light output. I am much happier with it now.
Do you think just using aluminum foil would make a noticeable difference?

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
^It should. I covered mine with black electric tape and it did a decent job of focusing the light down. I would imagine something with a reflective surface would do an even better job.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Just ordered some resistors and should have a soldering iron somewhere around here to do this in the next couple weeks. Was tempted to order another set of mood lights to pre-resistor it and just be a plug and play install..

·
Super Moderator
3,431 Posts
How did you get the foil to fit in there? Any pics?
Also what happens if you just remove the top resister all together? That's what I did on both sides and the light output in my opinion looks unchanged.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Just completed this mod! I will say that they are much brighter than before. I think the black plastic of the panels really washes out how bright they actually are.

I purchased another set of the lights on ebay and did my soldering first. Once I had those done, I took the door panels off and swapped in the new wiring harness. I may go back and cover the diffuser plastic with some reflective tape. Overall, not too hard of a job.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts