Kia Optima Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For starters I drive a Sonata, Boo! Hiss!, and I've never seen the Netflix movie, "Pump". I just found out about that movie from thread archives on this site.
Anywho, snoopin' 'round it seemed 20-30% would be doable. I know the OM says stop at 10%.

I guess I've driven 100 miles or so & I'm encouraged by the results.

Anyone else dippin' deeper into ethanol?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
See, twenty views is encouraging. I should state I'm nowhere near attempting to milk every drop of power from the 2/0T. Contraire, I seek only modest economical gains that fly in the face of expensive add-ons. Sorry performance parts vendors.

Ten to 15% increase, 264-276HP. But, more than that I'm looking for more torque. There's a dyno chart posted in this forum by someone alleged to have used the Lap3 Uncle chip on a 2015 Optima that has been explained to me as the last year of the larger turbo for Kia. Hyundai's last was 2014.

What struck me was the 28'lb of extra torque on the lowest 89 setting running on 91 octane as I recall.

If I wanted gobs of torque/HP there would be a factory Mopar in the garage & all I need worry about is making payments on insurance and buying petrol.

I like the I-4 2.0T mill. I merely favour modest gain over insane.

·
Premium Member
2012 Kia Optima SX-T
1,412 Posts
From what I remember of the various threads/posts on the subject, most all involved many bolt-on parts that could take advantage of ~E30 mix (which was something like ~4gallons of "real" E85 and the rest 93 octane E10 gas). Not sure what gains might be gotten by a mostly stock 2.0T running such a mix. The latest and greatest LAP3USA ECU Stage 2 tune requires many bolt-on parts and ~E30 gas mix (or water/meth injection) to reach ~316whp/310wtq on a dyno. You will also find some threads of folks boosting with NO. Most of that craze has died down due to people moving on and blown motors (likely a mix of the engine's own defects and just overdoing a "good thing") IMHO.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Me current dilemma is appraising, when I do it quesstamating, stoichiometric A/F value. At around 20% ethanol I figure I've dropped a full point. The 2.0T if nothing is a rich runner, but I'm not sure how lean I can go whilst maintaining a healthy safety cushion. I suppose if MPG were of no consequence I could disconnect the O2 sensor & then run around 30%. At least I think that would cause the injectors to run rich all the time.

I've no interest in 300 ponies at the wheel. 30'lb of extra torque would be nice enough though.

On the first mix I had more ethanol in the mix & drove 30 odd miles 1/4-1/3 of that 50-55 two lane 1500 rpm at almost 39mpg at the end. On one stretch of 5-8miles I was 42 pushing 43 mpg. The dealio is I've never seen better than 32 on level grade.

I'm mixing w/89 E10 + E70 coming in about 93 octane. Maybe the first mix was closer to E25%, & the O2 sensed lean calling for a bit more fuel. The low rpms I was running helped on the mileage all the while the variable valve timing, plenty of advance, from over 93 octane and not being pulled coz of cooler temps, combined w/oxygenated ethanol.

Either the timing was way advanced and/or the higher octane allowed for more compression. It's hard for me to think that a lean mix from too much ethanol triggered a rich state from the O2 sensor AND resulted in 10mpg extra.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nobody is dabbling in the black art of mixology? I know some of you are installing bolt-ons. What's the dealio on Ethyl's sister Ethanol? Too ugly to take for a ride?

I just came back from a fairly fast 100+ miles. Average pulling grades dropped finally to 28mpg at the top of the mountain. Ended up at 30.3. Keeping me foot in it a lot and running 65-70/2000rpm on two lane whilst dipping into triple digits pulling steeper grades.

I thought at first backing off the E-% though prudent was boring.

I was wrong.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
From what I remember of the various threads/posts on the subject, most all involved many bolt-on parts that could take advantage of ~E30 mix (which was something like ~4gallons of "real" E85 and the rest 93 octane E10 gas). Not sure what gains might be gotten by a mostly stock 2.0T running such a mix. The latest and greatest LAP3USA ECU Stage 2 tune requires many bolt-on parts and ~E30 gas mix (or water/meth injection) to reach ~316whp/310wtq on a dyno. You will also find some threads of folks boosting with NO. Most of that craze has died down due to people moving on and blown motors (likely a mix of the engine's own defects and just overdoing a "good thing") IMHO.
The tune/a tune would be nice. I'd been told 20-30% und perhaps that was the reference point along w/tune/bolt ons. I'm not sure how much of a percentage ethanol I can run w/o leaning out too much w/current/factory ECM tune.

As I understand Hyundai approved the 2019 Sonata for E15. I'm not lookin' for anywhere near 300 ponies on the ground. Merely modest gains w/o bolt ons/tune. How more economical than mixing cheaper methanol at the pump could one obtain?

I suspect more gain low/mid range improving drivability as opposed to turning 100+/12s in the 1/4.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm looking at the gains from the Uncle chip wishing to mix & match some of those w/wee bit more ethanol from E15-E20 ever so roughly.

A study from 2015 showed gains in acceleration & efficiency in a NA 2.0T engine though the model engine was not revealed.

https://www.eesi.org/papers/view/fact-sheet-high-octane-fuels-challenges-opportunities

There seems to be some disagreement on the Uncle chip concerning settings and accompanying octane use.

Regardless, in keeping longevity front & center I think the lower setting of 744 combined w/blend from E15-E20 might compliment the overall performance modestly.

Last year Hyundai approved E15 for seemingly every model save the GDI 2.0T. Yet, 2019 it too is approved. Other than a smaller turbo, 2014 Hyundai/2015 Kia, along w/another downgrade in HP. though torque isn't nearly as effected, what if anything was changed to allow E15 approval?

·
Registered
2015 Genesis Coupe 3.8, 2016 Kawasaki ZX14R SE
15 Posts
I'm looking at the gains from the Uncle chip wishing to mix & match some of those w/wee bit more ethanol from E15-E20 ever so roughly.

A study from 2015 showed gains in acceleration & efficiency in a NA 2.0T engine though the model engine was not revealed.

https://www.eesi.org/papers/view/fact-sheet-high-octane-fuels-challenges-opportunities

There seems to be some disagreement on the Uncle chip concerning settings and accompanying octane use.
As a side note, the Lap3 UC that Bonsai has is mine. He has had it for nearly 2 months and and has not paid me the agreed upon (cheap) price. Nor has he responded too me as to if he is going to pay me or send it back. It looks like he just blatantly ripped me off. IF he pays me or sends the UC back, as agreed upon, I'll gladly rescind my accusation.

ominousone

·
Premium Member
2012 Kia Optima SX-T
1,412 Posts
FWIW: I run 12 gal of 93 octane (E10) Top Tier gas (from Costco) with 4 gal of FFV (seasonal range of 51%-83% Ethanol from Speedway) to get ~E30 blended fuel. I can feel the difference in "pep" but it is slight, even with my Stage 1.5+ ECU tune which does seem to take some small advantage of it. Still, it's worth the simple effort to run it (no issues/problems over several tanks at this point for me) and does save me a few dollars per tank fill-up as well (nice). My MPGs only seemed to drop ~1MPG (averaging ~22MPG in my mixed city/highway driving). I do also add about six oz of Marvel Mystery Oil for electric fuel pump, HPFP and injector lubrication (helps keep these clean as well).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts