Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2019 kia optima lx and it gets 14-17 city. The claim for city is 27 mpg. Ive never had a car‘s gas mileage differ that much from the stated mpg regardlessof how I drive.

given a future with high gas prices, this could be a game changer in my choice when it comes time to buy another kia or not.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,398 Posts
How many miles? I assume the 1.6T engine, but fuel mileage, as long as the CEL is not lite, is usually what you see, so maybe you get the trophy for the worst fuel mileage with a 1.6T engine.

With all the problems with Kia, a different make might have been a smart choice, but if purchased used, hope the price was right.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How many miles? I assume the 1.6T engine, but fuel mileage, as long as the CEL is not lite, is usually what you see, so maybe you get the trophy for the worst fuel mileage with a 1.6T engine.

With all the problems with Kia, a different make might have been a smart choice, but if purchased used, hope the price was right.
I got it dirt cheap. We’ll see. I will keep an eye on the blue book vs equity to endure I can sell it at the sweet spot if I do.

·
Registered
2018 KIA Optima
171 Posts
I got it dirt cheap. We’ll see. I will keep an eye on the blue book vs equity to endure I can sell it at the sweet spot if I do.
You've never stated what engine you have. Only the claims of mpgs.

Have you gone on any extended drives? Or just the 30mile city driving you've mentioned before. How long is the 30mile all city driving taking in time?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Have you gone on any extended drives? Or just the 30mile city driving you've mentioned before. How long is the 30mile all city driving taking in time?

I have the 2.4. I have a 400 mile trip with a 16.7 average. I take a short city trip around town every day along with an hour long almost highway drive. I have it set to eco.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,398 Posts
I have the 2.4. I have a 400 mile trip with a 16.7 average. I take a short city trip around town every day along with an hour long almost highway drive. I have it set to eco.
That makes a difference as the 2.4 is 24/33 so with a lot of start and stop traffic, it will drop.
At 16.7 mpg on a 400 trip, better check the mileage manually, hard to believe.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Also remeber that if your stopped and idling you get 0 mpg but are burning fuel. My GTO had a cool feature that displayed instant fuel economy ( not great for a 6.0L) but when the car was stopped and the engine was running it displayed gallons per hour similar to a boat or plane. 14-16 mpg on a 400 mile trip doesn't sound correct. Next time you get gas reset you trip A/B trip meters, and see what it shows because the numbers you gave using 15 mpg @ 400 mile indicate 26 .67 gallons of fuel, considering the fuel capacity is 18.5 says that you had to stop for gas and the computer didn't reset.

·
Registered
2018 KIA Optima
171 Posts
Per Wikipedia.

Two separate fuel economy tests simulate city driving and highway driving: the "city" driving program or Urban Dynamometer Driving Schedule or (UDDS) or FTP-72 is defined in 40 CFR 86.I and consists of starting with a cold engine and making 23 stops over a period of 31 minutes for an average speed of 20 mph (32 km/h) and with a top speed of 56 mph (90 km/h).

The "highway" program or Highway Fuel Economy Driving Schedule (HWFET) is defined in 40 CFR 600.I and uses a warmed-up engine and makes no stops, averaging 48 mph (77 km/h) with a top speed of 60 mph (97 km/h) over a 10-mile (16 km) distance. The measurements are then adjusted downward by 10% (city) and 22% (highway) to more accurately reflect real-world results. A weighted average of city (55%) and highway (45%) fuel economies is used to determine the combined rating and guzzler tax.

There are lots of factors that go into mpg. AC vs Windows open. Sunroof. Tires. Air filter dirty. Bad spark plugs, bad injectors. Oil change. Rims. Underbody covers, fender shields. Mudflaps. Clogged cat convter. Clogged muffler. Etc etc. Quite easily a book.

My 2.0t averages 420~miles per tank. No idea what that equals out as I do not drive traditionally.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Drop Eco mode you’ll see a small difference.
I ran in Eco mode 24/7 in my 15’ Optima it helped MPG.
But in my 2017 it seems that Eco makes the mpg worse.

·
Registered
2016 Kia Optima SXL
595 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Optima EX
41 Posts
Just bought a 2017 Ex 2.4 with 27,000 miles about 4 months ago car runs great.
In city in normal mode I average 25 mpgs.
in my commute to work 18 miles at 65 mah I get 28 and in eco mode I get 30 in eco if I drive at 55 mah. once I got 32 mpgs in eco.
I always drive manual trans mode. In D I find the cars shift point not good the software is not right the car lugs a lot
In D thats not good for the engine so I manually shift always to keep the engine happy And never lugging.

So your mileage is not right at all. Or you drive really hard on the car.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Kia has always had this issue.

They got hit with a class-action lawsuit for this back in 2012 when I had first got my Optima.

Yes but it was for 1-2 mpg and on the kia soul it was for 6 mpg. Mpg is calculated as an EPA estimate on a dyno not real world driving. There are many variables in real world driving from the fuel you use to how fast you accelerate. The 14-17 mpg op states is on the low end of my 6.0L GTO city mileage so something doesnt jive.

·
Registered
18 optima 2018 sxl
14 Posts
I have a 2019 kia optima lx and it gets 14-17 city. The claim for city is 27 mpg. Ive never had a car‘s gas mileage differ that much from the stated mpg regardlessof how I drive.

given a future with high gas prices, this could be a game changer in my choice when it comes time to buy another kia or not.
The future of gas prices is to go lower and remain low. If you want to increase your gas mileage, avoid braking. Seriously, when you see brake lights or a red stoplight ahead, take your foot off the gas and coast until you need to stop or can start accelerating again. I get over 30 miles per gallon around town in my 2 L turbo that way.

·
Registered
20 Posts
So strange. MPG is the strong point of my 2019 LX. 2.4L. I can get 500 miles per tank highway. Probably get 29MPG mixed city/highway. Never really do city exclusive driving.

·
Registered
2018 Optima EX, 2019 Stinger GT2 AWD
67 Posts
I have a 2018 EX 2.4l, and average 35mpg with a mix of 75% highway, 25% city.
Now my 3.3l TT Stinger doesn't do so well.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a 2018 Optima FE with the 2.4 engine. In 2020, the worst mileage I had was in January at 24.88 mpg. This is in Wisconsin, so it is cold and these were short trips. My best was 36.44 in August and that was mostly highway back and forth to golf courses. Overall in 2020, my mpg was 30.38 for 8600 miles. I know I drive like an old man, which I am, but you youngsters must learn how to drive better.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts