Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Kia Optima
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok just a quick question. I have a brand new Optima well a 2020 it had 12 miles when I bought it. However I notice in certain light it has micro scratches and some swirl marks. The car is sangria in color and I don’t have a garage and it’s daily driver. Should I really worry about this or just keep it protected with wax and not try to get the micro scratches out. Just looking for some advice here

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,597 Posts
That certainly is unfortunate, but sorry to say not unusual as some, or probably most of the detail people have no clue, or really don't care about the finish. It would be an effort in futility to have the dealer try and get the swirls out, so either keep as is, or have it professionally detailed, maybe claying, polishing etc, but being outside and a daily driving, I'd use it as is as chances are if the swirls were removed, they'd be back with the washing etc.

·
Registered
2018 Kia Optima
1,165 Posts
It doesn't help that Kia paint is pretty weak. Hood chips galore on my 2016.
Yup I have a few chips on the hood and one on the A-pillar; thankfully they are small in size and few in number but still...

Clear bra might have prevented a few but not all, not unless I clear-bra all forward-facing parts/panels.

·
Registered
2020 Kia Optima
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That certainly is unfortunate, but sorry to say not unusual as some, or probably most of the detail people have no clue, or really don't care about the finish. It would be an effort in futility to have the dealer try and get the swirls out, so either keep as is, or have it professionally detailed, maybe claying, polishing etc, but being outside and a daily driving, I'd use it as is as chances are if the swirls were removed, they'd be back with the washing etc.
Thank you. I have a feeling the paint is pretty soft I thought of doing a full decon then using a DA Polisher with some compound then a polish and see if could get them out. However, it seems like this paint is scratching pretty easily so I am not positive I want to waste my time at least at this stage maybe I will wait a few months and see how things look.

·
Registered
2020 Kia Optima
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I guess I am just a little disappointed in the paint. As I love the color just was not expecting to bring it home and see all of those little micro scratches everywhere hut I am probably just being anal as I feel like I spend over 20 grand I want this think looking nice :)

·
Registered
2019 Optima SX
81 Posts
Problems with paint on new cars, such as micro scratches/swirl marks, are usually the direct result of low paid, lot jockeys. Their job is to go through the lot each day and wipe the cars down to get rid of excess dew or rain drops. Although the car may be "clean", the daily dust is on there and is just scraped across the finish. When I get a new car, I ask them to skip any exterior dealer prep, just do the interior. I will however examine the exterior real close.

Since the micro scratches are in the clear coat and not the color coat, use of a good quality polish designed to minimize scratches will give you a nice finish. The idea is to apply enough coats (2 to 3 usually) to provide a smoother surface to prevent light from reflecting differently in areas that have the swirls/scratches.

·
Registered
2017 KIA Optima
8 Posts
The paint jobs that Kia incorporates is really, really thin so I would use caution when it comes to buffing the paint. Also, using a drive-through car-wash will cause this kind of damage as well, which is why I hand-wash my car and use a top-quality wax twice a year. No swirl marks or scratches, yet.

·
Registered
2020 Kia Optima
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The paint jobs that Kia incorporates is really, really thin so I would use caution when it comes to buffing the paint. Also, using a drive-through car-wash will cause this kind of damage as well, which is why I hand-wash my car and use a top-quality wax twice a year. No swirl marks or scratches, yet.
Yes unfortunately they ran it through one right when I got it which is what caused the scratches in the first place. I am kind of surprised how this this paint it

1 - 9 of 9 Posts