Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Optima SXL
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just had to replace all four Michelin Primacy MXM4 tires that originally came with my 2018 Optima SXL Turbo. Each of the tires showed excessive wear even though I had only 19,600 miles on the car. I drive conservatively, always keep an eye on tire inflation, and make sure they are rotated during regular oil changes.

One thing I learned is that there is apparently no mileage warranty on tires that come with a new car. Despite that, I contacted Michelin. They requested a report from my local tire shop, and subsequently gave me a good discount on a new set of MXM4s, warrantied for 55,000 miles.

I am happy with the treatment I received from Michelin, but I'm wondering if maybe my original tires were somehow defective. That's the only reason I can think of for them not even lasting 20,000 miles.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
2013 Ebony SXL Turbo: Original Everything @ about 189K with Drag wheels.
348 Posts
What were the originals rated for? But yeah their lowest is probably 30k, so 19 bites.

Worn evenly edge to edge on each or ? Those clues are key to knowing if there is a hardware issue or just really soft grippy rubber.

Still, Michelins are the best tire IMO, I run them on all my vehicles. I aim for the over 50k estimated life.

·
Registered
2018 KIA Optima
171 Posts
The original tires were rated to 55k based on what I could find.

Mine are at 33k and nearly gone (should've replaced them at 30k) I'm looking at some Continentals (Continental Extreme Contact DWS06 All-Season Radial Tire) just haven't gotten to it yet..

·
Registered
2018 Kia Optima
1,147 Posts
Wow that would seem to be premature tire wear--I have a 2018 SXL and the OEM Michelins with now 34K miles on them are wearing evenly with I guestimate maybe another 10K miles left in them.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I replaced my stock Michelins with Conti DWS06 from 4wheelonline. So far, they offer a comfortable ride. They grip pretty well on dry and wet roads. However, the softness of their sidewall is very noticeable when you push them really hard.

·
Registered
2017 KIA Optima
3,265 Posts
I’ve found the General G-Max AS-05 to be a pretty good AS tire. Grips well, rides comfortable but they are not silent like GT tires. Another is the BF Goodrich Comp TA 2 AS+, I’m using these on the Stinger and they feel similar to summer tires with their grip, but they don’t ride harsh.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2018 Kia Optima
1,147 Posts
Wow that would seem to be premature tire wear--I have a 2018 SXL and the OEM Michelins with now 34K miles on them are wearing evenly with I guestimate maybe another 10K miles left in them.

Speed Test
Is there an echo in this thread? The above quote is my exact post #4, word for word...

·
Registered
2013 Ebony SXL Turbo: Original Everything @ about 189K with Drag wheels.
348 Posts
Probably click bait with that link for a "speed test".....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts