Kia Optima Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy, I've recently bought a 2013 Optima, what an impressive car.

I'm curious what the procedure might be to get later maps into the Satnav rig.. I'm in Australia.

Cheers, any info greatly appreciated.

Stefan Nowak.

·
Registered
2013 Ebony SXL 2nd engine @ 121k
178 Posts
Curious - how many miles does your '13 have and what did you pay for it?

This might help on maps update. I've not done on my '13, mostly because I rely on google maps exclusively. Luck.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi guys, thanks for the replies, the above websites appear to be for later models, I've reached out to KIA Australia about this.

Stef

·
Registered
2012 Black SX Prem. & Tech.
1,997 Posts
The Kia Mapcare site works fine for my 2012 model year, so the website is not for later models.

However, I can only choose USA or Canada, hopefully you can find more from Kia Australia.

But, worst case, you could do more research on the specific hardware your head unit uses. Maybe if it's the same processor and memor etc., one of the USA or Canada updates would still install?

Try the map update instructions procedure on the Mapcare website to check your head unit's part number and what map number you are running:

https://storage.googleapis.com/mapc...pdf/Kia_V14_Map_Update_Instructions_U01_7.pdf

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Still down the rabbit hole.... dealers have been pathetic.

Has anyone in Australia had luck updating via here - Kia.naviextras.com - Map updates for your navigation device and more...

I'm not having any luck.. I've registered, followed procedure, however when hitting the 'UPDATE' button on the nav, a windows dialogue appears stating a media error.. Apparently a config file is supposed to be dumped onto the USB drive, then I can log into the naviextras software and proceed to purchase and update maps..

Cheers,
Stefan.

·
Registered
1 Posts
On our 2017 Optima it was just a matter of replacing the SD card (plugs into the satnav unit) with a new one that had the appropriate files moved onto it by using the Kia software (took hours to download the files...). I believe we have a "gen4" unit however, so not sure if that would apply to your vehicle, but do check for an "sd card" slot/door on the front of the satnav unit. Media error might mean that the SD card is bad....

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I heard back from KIA Australia and they were emphatic in saying they can't update the maps in this car.

What a complete bunch of absurd BS, I understand that there might a limit as to what maps can be installed due to the units age, but to say they can't is complete rubbish.

Any Aussies here?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts