Kia Optima Forums banner

61 - 69 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Black SX Prem. & Tech.
2,101 Posts
Anyone know what the electrical draw is, when the head unit is turned on (the first click of the start button without pressing the brakes, where the car and other electronics like the fan etc. are still off)?

I tried an experiment to install the update without running my car. I used a 1.5 amp trickle charger to fully charge my 3-month old very new battery, and kept the car plugged into the charger. Then I clicked the start button without pressing the brake to turn on the head unit and run the install.

I wasn't watching, but a little more than an hour later checked on the car. The car and head unit were off. I turned on the car and the update appeared to have worked fine, I didn't notice any issues. However, I had to continue charging for another five hours or so before the battery was fully topped off again. So if you have an old battery and want to try this, make sure your battery charger provides more than 1.5 amps, so it can maintain the charge level during the install. For 2012 years, the update takes just under an hour.

What's nice is the updated map info fixed my home street to be accurate so I'm no longer incorrectly routed through a playground and over a ditch. Also I now get the song info when connected to my phone via bluetooth. I had a very old version before the 2020 update. If your head unit doesn't show the song info for bluetooth, I feel it's worth the $25 update just to get that song info.

·
Registered
2014 Optima SX Turbo
2 Posts
Strangely, I saw the option to purchase for my 2014 optima yesterday and today when I look, it tells me no updates are available. When checking the new features guide, I see the map is the same for other models. Could I purchase the map for the 2014 forte since it's the same part #? It did allow me to add my vin# and add it to my cart. I don't see a download option so I would have to purchase it for $25 but considering I've never updated the maps since purchase, $25 is a steal to me

·
Registered
2015 Optima SXL
54 Posts
@cc646 I would say don't get the map for anything except your exact vehicle model and VIN. These maps are extremely specific to the nav radio that is installed in a given vehicle. My advice would be to call the Mapnsoft tech support number and ask your question to them. Good luck.

·
Registered
2015 Optima SXL
54 Posts
BTW, last week I finally received the THIRD attempt of 2020 maps for my wife's 2014 Eco Hybrid and it worked, previous two they sent failed install (months later....). Sadly the features are watered down compared to my 2015 SXL 2020 update, (no 3D map view) but the best and most important feature is present... No longer does she have to press to accept the nav warnings at start-up!!! Now it auto goes away after about 15 seconds, like my 2015 did from the beginning. That alone makes the update worth it!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've been patiently waiting to update my NAV SD card because I discovered some time ago that there would be an update (v. 14) at some point in April. Well, the update is here. I went to order it expecting to pay something like $175 for the SD card with shipping, but it appears the update is currently selling for only $25 with your choice of 4 different shipping methods.

Seems too good to be true, but consider me sold. For those looking to update, now's your chance. I have the original 2015 software on mine as it was never updated from the previous owner, so I can't wait to get my hands on it.
HI where do you get the map update from and does it matter what year optima?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 ·
You can go to Mapcare | Home page and select Kia (of course). If I remember correctly, you'll need to register and then you'll be able to plug in the model and year of the car, and it'll tell you which updates are available (if any).

Hope that helps!

·
Registered
2016 Kia Optima SXL
571 Posts
You'll get more accurate answers BY Making your Year and Optima Model Part of your Signature.
888-757-0010 Call MapNSoft WITH your Vin # and Device ID from the Nav Software module.
The URL below IS the -- Official Kia Nav Software Update site-- which takes focusing and patience to Navigate. Year Model DOES MATTER.
You'll look for your Year/Model and confirm IF /what updates are available and in my case the Dnloads have been Free.
MNS Sppt should help you get started First AND it may be an Earlier Update is what you need as this reads like it's about Gen 5 cars, which I am not (Gen 4). I'm familiar with the site and I'm confused as h3ll.....

·
Registered
2016 Kia Optima SXL
571 Posts
I have no clue why the price change from $150 to $25, it's weird and I hope works out for us all
$25 is likely for them to send an Updated SD Card Vs you overwriting the current SD with the downloaded Update; See my post below for Free Dnload, etc.

61 - 69 of 69 Posts