Kia Optima Forums banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been patiently waiting to update my NAV SD card because I discovered some time ago that there would be an update (v. 14) at some point in April. Well, the update is here. I went to order it expecting to pay something like $175 for the SD card with shipping, but it appears the update is currently selling for only $25 with your choice of 4 different shipping methods.

Seems too good to be true, but consider me sold. For those looking to update, now's your chance. I have the original 2015 software on mine as it was never updated from the previous owner, so I can't wait to get my hands on it.

·
Registered
2016 Kia Optima SXL
571 Posts
I STARTED THIS POST with ---I'm afraid you'll find the $25+ is for the Physical SD card, NOT the Software (ie) $25 for media (SD/USB) + Shipping --- BUT -- IT's REAL!!! So as Gomer would say, "Thank Ya, Thank Ya, Thank Ya"!!!

EDIT: My Order placed 4/28 a.m. will Arrv Fri May 1 - I chose 2D FedEx

NOTE:
The Install PDF states that -- Upgrade of Ver 12 or 13 (me) is MAP-ONLY Update -- NOT Software. Not sure WHAT that actually means Vs what I see now, BUT for $25 + ship I'm a go still.
Note 2: When you Chk to Verify Ver Update Completed my V13 begins with NAM 12.41.xxxx, SO V14 will begin with NAM 13.41.xxxxx -

Per Map'NSoft Phone Rep 888-757-0010 ...$25 (+ Ship option) IS the v14 SD Card AND Software ... Renegotiated Pricing with Kia was explanation...

Virus has impacted the ability to Download the Update Now so the (approx) May 15 Dnload date will be true, hopefully. I guess the SD Card Ship will be as soon as they can process the order.

Site Says You Cannot Revert Back IF you don't like the results..

Likely will setup Acct here, unless you can find Maps on Kia site you can already log into .... PayPal offered as Chk Btn but not Requd. Map'NSoft I used is ....

·
Registered
2018 Kia Optima
1,124 Posts
In for one at $25 + $6.70 USPS shipping (to my zip code--I'm assuming the shipping charge is not a flat rate); even though it's just a mere $2.76 more for FedEx 2-day shipping I'm not in that much of a hurry for it to show up since it's not like I've been driving my Optima a lot these days.

IMHO it'll be a worthwhile upgrade for me given that, A) I last updated to V12.5 back in January 2019, and B) that upgrade cost me $145 + tax. With this purchase I will be on V14--meaning, I wind up skipping over V13 and V13.5 releases.

For my vehicle, I'm currently running V12.5 which is NAM.11.47.44.xxx; V14 is NAM.13.41.42.xxx.

Note--as COS-16SXL sort of alluded to, if your Map Version is NA.11.41.52 or higher and you purchase this SD card update, it'll be a map update only--meaning, the other UVO software features will not be updated...or at least that's how I interpreted it. I think the better way to determine if your upgrade is map-only is if your Map Version begins with "NA" rather than "NAM".

·
Registered
2015 Optima SXL
54 Posts
Many thanks for finding and posting this! What an amazing deal. Just ordered our two map sets with 2 day Fedex for $62 and some change. Will update here once they arrive.

·
Registered
2012 Black SX Prem. & Tech.
2,101 Posts
Can anyone with older years check if an update is available at Mapnsoft?

I couldn't find anything to order for 2012 Optima. Nothing is available for map updates.

·
Registered
2015 Optima SXL
54 Posts
@KingFatty I did a search also and like you said no update for the 2012 at this time. Went to the global Kia nav update site and it is still being updated, though did find this customer service phone number.

·
Registered
2012 Black SX Prem. & Tech.
2,101 Posts
@KingFatty I did a search also and like you said no update for the 2012 at this time. Went to the global Kia nav update site and it is still being updated, though did find this customer service phone number.

View attachment 248196
Thanks. I contacted them and after a long wait (they are busy, and it's COVID time) they said that there was an issue with the map updates for the maps for our year models, so they are reworking them map files and check back in another 2 weeks.

I think this is a great deal and will be buying the update when it's available. So Kia corporate had something to do with negotiating this reduction in price?

·
Registered
2015 Optima SXL
54 Posts
Great you got a response. I have no clue why the price change from $150 to $25, it's weird and I hope works out for us all

·
Registered
2015 Optima SXL
54 Posts
Just got an email mine are shipping, so will update in a couple days!

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Looks like a download version will be free this summer?

·
Registered
2018 Kia Optima
1,124 Posts
Looks like a download version will be free this summer?
Where did you read that? Although given that the $25 cost includes the SD card, I suppose it's quite possible that they could offer a download option for dirt cheap if not entirely free since in past years the SD card option was priced higher than the download option.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Explored the link given above...

·
Registered
2016 Kia Optima SXL
571 Posts
The New V14 SD Card instructions (in the box) say ..........
Step 1 Remove Old Card AND Insert New Card;
Step 2 Start Engine;
Step 3 Insert New Card ... Really?

So 888-Sppt says it doesn't matter when you Insert the New. I did BOTH w/ Eng OFF.
See later post.

·
Registered
2015 Optima SXL
54 Posts
COS, that's weird, hopefully just a "translation" error from the manufacturer : ) Mine should be here any time now today and will also test.

·
Registered
2016 Kia Optima SXL
571 Posts
30 min exactly for my '16's V13 to V14.
Removed Old SD - Inserted New w/ Engine OFF;
Start eng and after Clk'ing "OK - the Card is Inserted" - I did Not have to Press ANYTHING Else - Likely because V12-13 users Only get MAP Updates...YMMV

On YOUR Map Pg find the New Features LINK and read-up; Nothing huge, I think, but Pause-Resume Route & Car Speed on upper left of Map (option was Off / choose ON)... I've seen or read of.

Improved Voice Recognition - I'll re-do the exercise to say X words to re-train the Nav to my dialect; Will post what Voice Recognition Button does after I sample it but we'll all advise of things we learn when tested some.
Did NOT lose saved Radio Stations..... Enjoy!

·
Registered
2018 Kia Optima
1,124 Posts
Explored the link given above...
Found it, although it does mention that A) download option (when it becomes available) is limited to newer models; and B) the scheduled release for the download option is July 2020 (pushed back from May 15, apparently).

As far as new V14 features--I'm particularly interested in the Server Based Routing feature; namely, what happens if you have a poor connection when you perform an address search--does the nav unit intelligently revert back to performing the search within its built-in address database or does it hang/wait?

·
Registered
2015 Optima SXL
54 Posts
I've seen FEDEX drive by my house TWICE now and still not stopping! Package must be in the back of the truck....

1 - 20 of 69 Posts