Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am the owner of a 2011 Optima with the 2.4L. Sadly it’s an automatic and I plan to change that. Not myself but through a shop or a dealership. I understand it’d make more sense to buy a manual optima however I recently had a new engine installed with a lifetime warranty because of the whole crank bearing issue with the 2.4. The transmission will not void my warranty and it makes no sense to get a different car as mine only has around 3k on the engine now. Just wondering if anyone out there has any idea how much it’d cost and if i should go through the dealer with OEM parts or a shop. I will try to get a quote soon from a local shop and if it’s anything under 3 grand it’s happening.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,398 Posts
Might have a difficult time as the '11 was the only Optima that came with standard transmission and as far as fuel mileage overall just the same as automatic. Have found standards actually cause more problems than an automatic as clutch/pressure plate, T/O brg, syncros cause quite a few problems.
The transaxle from Kia is $5300, but discount it can be purchased @ $4000, so used would be the way to go and the manual also has different L/R shafts, inner joint.

Personally if you're dead set about a standard, I'd purchase a running standard trans Optima, if you could find one then you'd have a new engine if it were needed. Wait a minute, if the engine blows in the standard, then Kia would replace so that's not a great idea.

Check Copart for auction salvage vehicles. Presently they have 4-2011 Optima w/manual available. This way, the entire car would be available to use whatever parts needed.

Many seem to think that a change from A/T to manual is not much of a challenge, although I've changed quite a few A/T to manual, but not with these, shall we say modern FWD vehicles.
Bottom line, too muck work with no real advantage.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you. Honestly i’m just hoping the labor costs won’t be too expensive as I own a 2011 and I don’t think any fabrication work will be needed. I know a shop that specialize in similar work. My hope is there’s some way to use the manual transmission with the AT transaxle if I have a custom driveshaft and axles made. Hopefully that’ll help with cost. Also I wish a parts car was an option but unfortunately I don’t have the space. I’m going to start doing more research tomorrow and i’ll let you know what the quoted price is.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts