Kia Optima Forums banner

Making the alarm "chirp" instead of "honk"...

8K views 15 replies 5 participants last post by  RevDoc 
#1 ·
I want to replace my alarm horn with a siren so it will chirp instead of honk when you lock the doors and wail instead of honking when it goes off. I pretty much know the steps I need to take to make it happen, but I was wondering if anyone else had already done this.

Thanks!

#2 ·
I did on my LX. I used a Piezo Buzzer that I got from Radio Shack. It was very cheap and light. I just wired it and stuck it to the metal by the strut with 3m tape. It wasn't as loud as I would have liked but there were some that were louder that I could have switched too.

#4 ·
#6 ·
Excellent. This is why I posted here. =) I wanted to see if someone else had bought something that would fit the factory location, etc. So does this do what I want? Does it chirp when you lock the doors, and make a siren sound when the alarm goes off? I wasn't sure how that worked...

#8 ·
Can someone post a picture of what you tapped into? Is it the small horn-ish thing (looks like a black plastic donut) on the left side (when facing the car) under the hood?

I've been wanting to do this for a while too!

#10 ·
The factory alarm horn is mounted on the right side near the top to the strut. There are two wires with a connector, and this is connected to the horn unit. All I did to connect the wires was to use PosiTaps for both horn wires and tapped them into the existing factory wiring and left the factory connector in place. Orientation of the wires doesn't matter.

Here's a picture - the PosiTaps are in the lower left part of the pic.

#11 ·
The factory alarm horn is mounted on the right side near the top to the strut.
He said left as you face the car, which is where mine is. When you say right side, you mean if you're sitting in the car, right? I figure you must, given the picture. I also know that's the correct way to describe car sides. But I didn't want Readerb to be confused by perspective. =)

Left or Right, facing or sitting, the horn is on the passenger side. =)

#12 ·
Well it wouldn't be if the car was a right hand drive, now would it? lol

So, just to make sure Readerb doesn't have a problem, the horn is on the left when you look at the engine from the front of the car.

That's the orientation of the picture that I posted.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.