Kia Optima Forums banner

81 - 100 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
682 Posts

I guess this is good news.

I wish they would check people's oil as well .

I wonder how it is will hurt resale now..

I am already debating what to get.. not sure if another KIA though will be in my buying plans. but reality is, no matter what you buy there is a recall left right and center, with some small to major issues... and on any brand

·
Premium Member
4,414 Posts
I guess this is good news.

I wish they would check people's oil as well .

I wonder how it is will hurt resale now..

I am already debating what to get.. not sure if another KIA though will be in my buying plans. but reality is, no matter what you buy there is a recall left right and center, with some small to major issues... and on any brand
So spit it out, what are you planning to get lol??

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
42 Posts
I will be doing the first oil change on my 2016 Optima SXL 2.0 Turbo this week. I have just 1,500 miles on it but I don't plan to wait until the 3,000 mile figure quoted in the owner's manual. I have an oil test kit ready to go and will have my oil tested by a lab. I'm concerned about metal or other harmful stuff that might show up.
I hope KIA has fixed whatever the issue was that caused engines to fail due to bearing lubrication problems.
Cheers.............

·
Premium Member
1,409 Posts
I will be doing the first oil change on my 2016 Optima SXL 2.0 Turbo this week. I have just 1,500 miles on it but I don't plan to wait until the 3,000 mile figure quoted in the owner's manual. I have an oil test kit ready to go and will have my oil tested by a lab. I'm concerned about metal or other harmful stuff that might show up.
I hope KIA has fixed whatever the issue was that caused engines to fail due to bearing lubrication problems.
Cheers.............
I think you'll be fine. Kia seems to have got their act together and the newer engines should do you good. I would suggest you take some time and read up on the Oil thread here on the forums to help make the best choice on oil and filters for your new ride. Personally, I run Mobil 1 0W-40 synthetic oil and the OEM factory oil filter with OCI of 4.5K miles (I do it myself).

BTW: Getting the first factory oil testing may be a waste as it WILL have all kinds of wear metals in it (very normal). I'd suggest you wait and do it on the next oil change to get a better baseline. I use Blackstone Labs and try to do it every other Oil/filter change.

·
Registered
57 Posts
So lets say our 2011+ engines make it to 120k and don't blow up? We hit the 135k mark and kaboom. I have had 97% of my cars to 175+ and never lost one yet. What really surprises me is how little news coverage has been on this growing debacle. Has anyone seen any real press on this class action/investigation? WV is buying back the diesel cars that they cheated the system on.. Wonder if it could come to that with these Kia engine failures?

·
Registered
18 Posts
So lets say our 2011+ engines make it to 120k and don't blow up? We hit the 135k mark and kaboom. I have had 97% of my cars to 175+ and never lost one yet. What really surprises me is how little news coverage has been on this growing debacle. Has anyone seen any real press on this class action/investigation? WV is buying back the diesel cars that they cheated the system on.. Wonder if it could come to that with these Kia engine failures?

This is all I have seen, from Canada.

Class-action lawsuit alleges defect exists in some Kia engines | CTV Vancouver News

·
Registered
130 Posts
Well, my engine "catastrophically failed" at 118,XXX back on June 8th, 2016. I had it towed my house assuming it was out of warranty. I used 5w-30 Mobil 1 since day one, fully stock. After verifying that the crank wouldn't turn I drained the oil and found nothing visible. I then had it towed to the dealer on the 13th. They confirmed it was dead, by poking it with a stick I imagine. Kia is covering a new engine 100%.

I was told at the time that all the long blocks Kia had in stock were used due to this common issue. So they went ahead and ordered all the parts individually to build the engine in house. Got a call the next day saying the head was on backorder for 2 weeks. Then another week. Then it was supposed to be tomorrow, 7/22. Just got a text that it has been pushed back again until 8/3.

Looks like I won't be driving my car much this summer. But Kia is paying for a rental, so I'm not complaining too much yet.

·
Premium Member
1,409 Posts
Well, my engine "catastrophically failed" at 118,XXX back on June 8th, 2016. I had it towed my house assuming it was out of warranty. I used 5w-30 Mobil 1 since day one, fully stock. After verifying that the crank wouldn't turn I drained the oil and found nothing visible. I then had it towed to the dealer on the 13th. They confirmed it was dead, by poking it with a stick I imagine. Kia is covering a new engine 100%.

I was told at the time that all the long blocks Kia had in stock were used due to this common issue. So they went ahead and ordered all the parts individually to build the engine in house. Got a call the next day saying the head was on backorder for 2 weeks. Then another week. Then it was supposed to be tomorrow, 7/22. Just got a text that it has been pushed back again until 8/3.

Looks like I won't be driving my car much this summer. But Kia is paying for a rental, so I'm not complaining too much yet.
About how often (on average) did you change your oil? What oil filter did you mostly use?

Glad it's going to be covered and you got a rental!

·
Registered
273 Posts
Yes, quite a few of the 2.4L parts are on back order. We usually don't build them in house. We have had serious issues getting long blocks for the Hybrids. We do short blocks for hybrids here. Depending on the damage to the head they can usually send them out for repair.

---------- Post added at 07:02 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:59 AM ----------

Cheers.............
Smaller turbo and different factory tune/software. The 2016's run at a more conservative rate, so the rate of failure is small. The engine doesn't run so high strung. We have seen rods/pistons blow out the side of many earlier 2.0L turbo's. We just had a 2.0L come in with a scorched cylinder with the wall blown out between cylinder 1-2. It's pretty interesting.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I guess I will be joining in on this Class Action Suit.
My engine seized last Saturday.

2013 KIA Optima SXL
38500 Miles
K&N Cold Air Intake
Mobil-1 Oil changed regularly by the dealer
They are putting in a new Long Block without any questions
Dealer knows about the problem
They will not tear the engine down to find out what caused it
It happened while accelerating from an on-ramp onto a highway.
The engine just went dead without any noise. All warning lights came on and the engine would not turn over.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Wow 38k.. yikes.. Just rolling over 80k on my 2011. Having the prayer that its fine and the prayer that it blow soon.. terrible thoughts i must say!

·
Registered
367 Posts
As per the website: UPDATE: On November 7, 2016, the Kia Engine Oil Defect class action lawsuit was voluntarily dismissed.
https://topclassactions.com/lawsuit-settlements/lawsuit-news/337085-kia-class-action-lawsuit-targets-engine-oil-defect/

·
Registered
7 Posts
Wow, sounds familiar. Same failure yesterday when merging onto a FL highway. I have a 2016 Optima with 26k miles on it, dealer says motor is blown :(.

I guess I will be joining in on this Class Action Suit.
My engine seized last Saturday.

2013 KIA Optima SXL
38500 Miles
K&N Cold Air Intake
Mobil-1 Oil changed regularly by the dealer
They are putting in a new Long Block without any questions
Dealer knows about the problem
They will not tear the engine down to find out what caused it
It happened while accelerating from an on-ramp onto a highway.
The engine just went dead without any noise. All warning lights came on and the engine would not turn over.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Oil filter loads-up prematurely and more completely than would 'normally' happen, bypass opens and all the shavings are pumped through into all parts of engine. Interestingly, bypass is designed for cases of prolonged neglect of the need to change filter so oil is not clean but not filled with debris either. Also, normal case of neglect would be associated with oil loss through burning and oil degradation which would cause drop in oil pressure and eventual partial shutdown/check engine warning but in these Kia cases oil pressure is maintained so no warning etc.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Your bit of misinformation about oil weighs might be the reason for some of the failures. I was at a very good independent repair shop looking for the engine noise in my truck. The very experienced owner asked me a lot of oil questions (kind, weight, etc.) He told me that heavy oil can cause engine failures. The bearing clearances and the size of the oil passages are designed for thin oil and thick oil doesn't get through them as well or as quickly. In the "good old days" bearing clearances were commonly 1-2 thousanths and today, many are 1/2 of 1 thousandth. I learned years ago that the great majority of bearing wear occurs before the oil light goes out. The oil light goes out faster with thin oil.

The misinformation is to think that 5-40 is a heavy oil. The '5' is indicative of the viscosity whereas the 40 ins about the oil's ability to maintain that boundary layer of protection

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
^ not really. It has to do with viscosity at cold and hot temps...therefore multi weight oil.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I think the issue here is oil loss, and KIA won't admit to it. I drive 400+ miles a week, and lose about a quart of oil in a weeks time. I am now in the habit of checking the dip stick every Saturday and adding the amount needed. I wonder how many of those blown engines are due oil loss? I know from watching YouTube, that GDI engines run at higher pressures (is the oil getting past the rings with our engines?). Honda has an issue of fuel getting past the piston rings contaminating their oil. Combine this with that GDI engines are notorious for carbon encrusted valves that those of us with 3rd generation Opitma's are saddled with an engine design Hyundai has yet to prove is reliable.

81 - 100 of 101 Posts