Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Optima EX
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2017 Optima Ex 2.4

The rear end on this car is extremely complicated. There are numerous joints and bushings. You can extend there life by getting the car up on a lift and lubricating all those areas with spray grease. Do not use WD40 that stuff is awful your car will stink for a week and its a poor lubricant.
Best stuff to use is PB Blaster CSP Spray. Its a heavier spray grease that does not smell. Stays where you spray it.
Only available at Home Depot. I have been doing this to all my cars for years. No rust no squeaks. If you need to work on the area down the road just spary some carb cleaner on the area brand new metal under that grease.

Here's some shots pre greasing. Alot going on with the rear suspension on this car.

Attachments

·
Registered
2013 Ebony SXL Turbo: Original Everything @ about 193K with Drag wheels.
397 Posts
Are there Grease fittings or are you just spraying randomly where it appears to need lubricant?

If there are no fittings, then lubricant is serving to attract dirt and grit to grind things down over time.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,524 Posts
.Are there Grease fittings or are you just spraying randomly where it appears to need lubricant?
If there are no fittings, then lubricant is serving to attract dirt and grit to grind things down over time.
Ever hear of spraying the undercarriage with oil to prevent rusting. Not really environmentally friendly, but it does the job.

These cars suck at having a rust bucket underneath and anything that is done to prevent the onset is a great idea.
As nothing has been done to prevent undercarriage rust, our '11 2.0T is filled with rust underneath.
Actually spent 3 hours Friday cutting the bolts on both rear lower control arms as they were frozen solid inside the LCA sleeves and no camber adjustment available. Then on Saturday spent 2 hours cutting the lateral arm bolts as no toe adjustment available.

I'd rather have grit underneath rather than the rust.

·
Registered
10 Posts
If you use anything I would use a silicone spray, any petroleum based lubricant such as PB Blaster leaves a film of oil on any surface. The petroleum based solvents in PB will deteriorate black butyl rubber.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,524 Posts
What's wrong with leaving a film on the surface?
I'll post some pictures later to show all the rust under the car. Crappy metal, and my 08 Optima had a lower control arm rot out in only a few years.

Kia even had a free of charge spray for the undercarriage after they found that their crappy parts rusted away. It was a thick heavy goop that never hardened.
Like everything else Kia does, it's like closing the barn door after the horse escaped.

·
Registered
169 Posts
If you use anything I would use a silicone spray, any petroleum based lubricant such as PB Blaster leaves a film of oil on any surface. The petroleum based solvents in PB will deteriorate black butyl rubber.
PB Blaster will rot rubber. It also stinks to high heaven I think? Maybe there are different types of PB Blaster?

·
Registered
2017 Optima EX
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Are there Grease fittings or are you just spraying randomly where it appears to need lubricant?

Now it’s grinding it down. Your right it’s going to be way way more happy dry as a bone for years and corroded.

Been spraying this on my under carriage for years On many many cars. It repels moisture it stops rust and extends the life of all joints. Not randomly spraying spraying directly into the joint.
Spray all the hinges the hood and trunk locks in the keyhole and in the rear view mirror joints. Any electrical plug i go into it gets sprayed. Look in the engine compartment and Get under your car. See all the stuff that’s rusted. Doesnt have to be. Does not smell. Excellent product.

·
Registered
2017 Optima EX
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
PB Blaster will rot rubber. It also stinks to high heaven I think? Maybe there are different types of PB Blaster?
Well you know nothing about the product don’t even know what it is but can put it down. Classic forum stuff.
CSP made by PB BLASTER DOES NOT SMELL DOES NOT ATTACK RUBBER.

Google it check Lowe’s and Home Depot reviews check everywhere see if you can find someone who did not like it. Trying to help.

·
Registered
2018 Optima EX, 2019 Stinger GT2 AWD
73 Posts
Do not use WD40 that stuff is awful your car will stink for a week and its a poor lubricant.
(snip)
Here's some shots pre greasing. Alot going on with the rear suspension on this car.
WD-40 was not originally invented as a lubricant, what they were looking for was something to spray on to repel water. In fact, the "WD" in WD-40 comes from Water Displacement. Presumably the 40 is their 40th formula attempt.

·
Registered
2012 Black SX Prem. & Tech.
2,268 Posts
Well you know nothing about the product don’t even know what it is but can put it down. Classic forum stuff.
CSP made by PB BLASTER DOES NOT SMELL DOES NOT ATTACK RUBBER.

Google it check Lowe’s and Home Depot reviews check everywhere see if you can find someone who did not like it. Trying to help.
Looks like CSP by PB Blaster has many warnings about smell, and also contains acetone which will degrade rubber. Here is the safety data sheet, showing 20-25% acetone:

https://blasterproducts.com/wp-cont...SP-Corrosion-Stop-OSHA-GHS-SDS-2017-04-12.pdf

Their technical data sheet says:
"Exposure Symptoms: Inhalation: Remove exposed individual to fresh air, protecting yourself. Restore breathing if necessary. Contact a physician. "

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,524 Posts
"Exposure Symptoms: Inhalation: Remove exposed individual to fresh air, protecting yourself. Restore breathing if necessary. Contact a physician. "
MSDS seems to be overly cautious and looks like the caution may be if someone sprays, or inhales a great amount of the product up their nose
WD-40
IF INHALED: Remove person to fresh air and keep comfortable for breathing. Call a POISON CENTER or physician if you feel unwell.

·
Registered
2017 Optima EX
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Looks like CSP by PB Blaster has many warnings about smell, and also contains acetone which will degrade rubber. Here is the safety data sheet, showing 20-25% acetone:

https://blasterproducts.com/wp-cont...SP-Corrosion-Stop-OSHA-GHS-SDS-2017-04-12.pdf

lol…

·
Registered
2019 Kia Optima EX Prem
295 Posts
The rear end on the Optima is no different than any other multi link rear end setup. There is no need to spray PB blaster on these bits. If you want the undercarriage to stay clean, pressure wash it a few times a year.

·
Registered
2017 Optima EX
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The rear end on the Optima is no different than any other multi link rear end setup. There is no need to spray PB blaster on these bits. If you want the undercarriage to stay clefan, pressure wash it a few times a year.

First of all it's not PB Blaster that stuff stinks bad its a different spray grease made by PB. Its a very good lubricant who's main claim to fame is to stop corrosion. Does not smell.

And I don't want the chassis to be clean I want it to be greasy.

Last thing you want to do is pressure wash your car's under carriage. Squeaky clean excites rust on the cheap metal they use today.

Attachments

·
Registered
2019 Kia Optima EX Prem
295 Posts
And I don't want the chassis to be clean I want it to be greasy.

Last thing you want to do is pressure wash your car's under carriage. Squeaky clean excites rust on the cheap metal they use today.
Grease attracts dirt, dirt is not good for rubber.

And every car manufacturer says to wash the undercarriage at least twice a year right in the owners manual. Even KIA.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,524 Posts
Grease attracts dirt, dirt is not good for rubber.

And every car manufacturer says to wash the undercarriage at least twice a year right in the owners manual. Even KIA.
If one lives in a harsh environment, washing the undercarriage isn't going to do squat as it needs protection from the elements. Years ago, because of the crap metal used by Kia, they found that rust was running rampant under the vehicles, so they issued a free spray to be applied by the dealerships, nothing other than some heavy goop. Just like everything Kia does, spray the goop is like closing the barn door after the horse escaped. I wash the undercarriage with a power sprayer at least once after winter driving and the Optima undercarriage looks like what would be found on the Titanic if it were removed from the ocean floor.

Two weeks ago, spent 5 hours cutting the rear lower control arm bolts, as well as the lateral link bolts, as they were frozen solid to the sleeves. Today, just finished up removing a right side lower strut bolt, frozen solid to the knuckle, and the large impact wouldn't budge the bolt. Today used a lot of heat and finally got it out.

Having said this, anything that one wants to spray under the car to stop the rust is a plus, unless one lives in Arizona.

I also own 3 other cars, an '04 Acura TL along with a Mazda RX7 Turbo, and these two cars are like they were just driven out of the factory, why, because they've never been any harsh environment. The Acura has never seen winter, the Mazda has never been in the rain, snow, etc. and the other, a F150 4x4, filled with rust on every part of the truck, so washing with water 6 times a year isn't going to do squat.

Keep spraying the undercarriage!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts