Kia Optima Forums banner
221 - 240 of 268 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Kia Optima
167 Posts
Thanks for the write up. I did my 4 Eibach springs in just under two hours with hand tools. The only thing I would add, is you can release the energy in the front springs by taking the strut nut off lastly, then lowering the jack. Everything will slowly fall apart well.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Anyone know how to get the strut tower off the strut? Yes, the middle nut is off completely. i took whole strut out and could not pull it apart. Then i placed the 3 bolts back that hold the strut tower to the car body frame under hood and tried pulling downwards, didnt work. then i hit the actual bolt with a hammer and still stuck?

I have no pressure because im taking off Megan springs. i think the stock springs came off easier due to pressure pushing outwards. you can see how loose the spring is in the pic

any help appreciated

·
Registered
128 Posts
Sorry, let me try to be more clear.

I took the whole strut, spring, strut tower, everything out. Yes, after I removed those 3 nuts you circled. Then......My problem is, I cant remove the spring because the strut tower is stuck. Let me circle the piece that does not come apart.

It is stuck on the shaft

---------- Post added 06-15-2014 at 09:41 AM ---------- Previous post was 06-14-2014 at 10:35 AM ----------

Ok, maybe this clarifies thing little more.

The bolt pictured with a circle around it(even with the nut off 54659) will not release itself either from 54610 or 54626 (parts labeled with squares).

Appreciate input appreciated

·
Registered
128 Posts
Megans are low, what did you put on? May need time to settle

O yea, fill your gas tank all the way. That will drop the rear

·
Registered
2012 KIA Optima
10 Posts
I just put some ARK's on my Optima and it lowered it quite a bit. I was not expecting it to be so low actually. However after driving it over some decent bumps it handles them very well. I did bottom out a little once but now I know what to look to avoid. Very happy with them, ride is still pretty smooth but more responsive steering. If they settle over time they will probably get lower then I want them to be. Also I cut 1.5" off the bump stops in the front since I lowered it by that much.

I got stuck trying to remove the back springs until I read this thread, then got em right off and changed. Thanks for posting this detailed guide with great pics as it really did help me get it done!

As was said above, you can remove the center nut before removing the strut so when you lower the strut assembly the spring doesn't go flying. It doesn't do it if you remove it on the floor either, it goes about 1ft. You risk stripping the last thread on the nut if you let it do that though so save yourself some headache and take it off before lowering down the strut. Spring compressors are absolutely not required if you do it this way!

Shoot this thread is dead probably huh?

·
Registered
2015 Optima Kia
64 Posts
I plan to attempt this in the upcoming weeks but a large question still remains that no one has full answered. "What are the torques for all the bolts?" KIA Tech Info is no longer free and Kiopman .com will not resolve. For all the people that have completed this did you just hand tighten all the bolts? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
15 Posts
Here you go:
Text Font Line Number Monochrome

Text Font Line Number Design

I plan to attempt this in the upcoming weeks but a large question still remains that no one has full answered. "What are the torques for all the bolts?" KIA Tech Info is no longer free and Kiopman .com will not resolve. For all the people that have completed this did you just hand tighten all the bolts? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2015 Optima Kia
64 Posts
I did not order the alignment bolts. I plan to get an professional alignment once the install is complete and if they are not able to complete it I will look into what is needed. The spacers will be used to widen the stance of the vehicle by pushing out all 4 wheels by 20mm. After a bit or research I prefer the look of having the wheels flush with the fenders.

221 - 240 of 268 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.