Kia Optima Forums banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
First let me say this, not certain as to the tire size you have currently, but assuming it's a 16" with 205/65-16 (26.5") tires and upgrading to the 215/55-17 (26.3"), the tire size is actually smaller in diameter, so suggest 225/55-17 (26.7").

Not much on just installing springs on oem shocks/struts, but also not much on lowering a vehicle even with coilovers as with FWD the axles change angles and hence possible vibration. Personally, I'd save up forKodi nox coil-overs, but here's a thread from the past about just springs:
]
I contacted support here but they said anything that low I’m going to have rubbing issues however when I browse around here and fitment site people have huge and wide wheels with the D2 springs and have no issues.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I contacted support here but they said anything that low I’m going to have rubbing issues however when I browse around here and fitment site people have huge and wide wheels with the D2 springs and have no issues.
Same here. I don’t understand why

·
Registered
2015 Kia Optima
225 Posts
I went from the springs/shocks/struts with stock wheels and tires (225/40-18 on 18x7.5 et46) on my '15 SX to TruHart struts/shocks, H&R Springs and 225/35-19's on Rohana RC10's (19x8.5 et35). The same width tire does stretch a bit on a rim that's 1" wider...I'm not a fan, but it was the narrowest rim they offered. If I hit a big bump or dip, it will just rub the fronts in the wheel wells. No issues when turning or otherwise, as long as a big bump isn't involved.

Before:
Before.jpg

After:

right-quarter.jpg

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I went from the springs/shocks/struts with stock wheels and tires (225/40-18 on 18x7.5 et46) on my '15 SX to TruHart struts/shocks, H&R Springs and 225/35-19's on Rohana RC10's (19x8.5 et35). The same width tire does stretch a bit on a rim that's 1" wider...I'm not a fan, but it was the narrowest rim they offered. If I hit a big bump or dip, it will just rub the fronts in the wheel wells. No issues when turning or otherwise, as long as a big bump isn't involved.

Before:
View attachment 248372

After:

View attachment 248373
Looks good! Did you have any issues with the stock wheels and tires on the lowered suspension?

·
Registered
2015 Kia Optima
225 Posts
Did the suspension a few days after the wheels/tires, so I never tried the stock wheels/tires on lowered suspension.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Did the suspension a few days after the wheels/tires, so I never tried the stock wheels/tires on lowered suspension.
Gotcha, so I’d probably rub then as well since my 215/55r17’s tires are about 8.4” wide. The D2 springs are a drop of 1.6” and then add those with the truhart struts which would make it a little lower than yours.

·
Registered
2015 Kia Optima
225 Posts
Your 215's are narrower than my 225's, but only by 10mm, about 3/8", but they are taller, so yes, more chance to rub. I thought 1.6" was too far to drop myself, and went with the H&R's because they were only 1.3" drop in the front.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Your 215's are narrower than my 225's, but only by 10mm, about 3/8", but they are taller, so yes, more chance to rub. I thought 1.6" was too far to drop myself, and went with the H&R's because they were only 1.3" drop in the front.
Thanks! So I did a little research and there’s really not much difference between our tires. As you can see below with the overlay ( yours in red ) mine is only a fraction taller but it’s also a fraction thinner.

Man I don’t know what to do hahaha. I want what I want without any issues and I don’t want to drop $500 on new suspension if it’s not going to be as low as I want and still have tire gap haha.

Can you please post another side shot of your car from a not so low angle of the camera?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Well I bit the bullet, and bought the D2 springs and truhart shocks. I’ll post some photos once everything is installed and I’ll let you know if I run into any rubbing issues. Wish me luck

·
Registered
2015 Kia Optima
225 Posts
Hmmm, did Kia change to a different OEM 18" tire size sometime after 2015? The OEM 18" tire on my 2018 is 235-45-18 (19" approximate equivalent is 235-40-19).
I went back and looked and the original tires were 225/45-18's on my SX-T. The new tires are 224/40-19. I was off by 5% on the aspect ratios.

·
Registered
2018 Kia Optima
944 Posts
Interesting--so apparently sometime after 2015 Kia decided to go with a slightly-wider (at least on paper) tire...wonder why?

21 - 32 of 32 Posts