Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2015 Optima hybrid EX. I seem to be getting horrible mileage according to the on board system. At present the system is telling me I'm getting 32mpg. I almost get that on my 2007 Optima LX with the 2.4.
The best I get is 36mpg. I recently took a 1600 mile trip (one way) and was getting as low as 29mpg. I feel this is unacceptable for a hybrid. I use Mobil 1 synthetic oil and Mobil 1 extended life filter. I also replaced the air filter with a K&N Air filter. I use the Lucus Fuel treatment on a regular basis. I bought the car new and now it has 62000 miles. The mileage has been crappy since purchase, but I assumed it would get better. Well it hasn't. Any ideas. I also put on a new set of tire about a year ago, they are the Vogue Signature V Black series tires. They use these on high end vehicles, better ride and extremely quite tire. Has anyone gotten this crappie mileage on your Optima hybrid?

·
Registered
2017 Kia Optima
13 Posts
I have a 2017 hybrid and routinely get between 45-50 mpg per tank around town in warm weather. In the winter with snow tires, I get 35-40 depending on how cold it is. I never use ethanol which will cause a 7 percent drop in mileage, and non low rolling resistance tires make 1-2 mpg difference as well. Perhaps your main battery/electric motor is malfunctioning?

·
Registered
2018 Kia Optima
1,164 Posts
I never use ethanol which will cause a 7 percent drop in mileage...
LOL I take it you don't live in California where our gas can contain up to 10% ethanol. The irony of that is CA has that much ethanol all in the name of reduce smog pollution (i.e., cleaner-burning fuel), but at the same time they want more fuel-efficient vehicles for which they are not helping the cause by having them be powered by fuel-economy robbing ethanol-blended gasoline.

Sorry, didn't mean to go off on a tangent but your ethanol comment made me think about that...

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have a 2017 hybrid and routinely get between 45-50 mpg per tank around town in warm weather. In the winter with snow tires, I get 35-40 depending on how cold it is. I never use ethanol which will cause a 7 percent drop in mileage, and non low rolling resistance tires make 1-2 mpg difference as well. Perhaps your main battery/electric motor is malfunctioning?
I read somewhere the 2017 has a 2.0 instead of the 2.4 which is one reason for the better or improved mpg.

·
Registered
2017 Kia Optima
13 Posts
I read somewhere the 2017 has a 2.0 instead of the 2.4 which is one reason for the better or improved mpg.
It's true the 2017 has a 2.0 liter engine and perhaps a more powerful electric motor. We have a choice of ethanol or not though the latter is subsidized and is 30+ cents a gallon less than gasoline. Good luck with your mileage quest.

·
Registered
2012 Kia Optima
1 Posts
I have a 2015 Optima hybrid EX. I seem to be getting horrible mileage according to the on board system. At present the system is telling me I'm getting 32mpg. I almost get that on my 2007 Optima LX with the 2.4.
The best I get is 36mpg. I recently took a 1600 mile trip (one way) and was getting as low as 29mpg. I feel this is unacceptable for a hybrid. I use Mobil 1 synthetic oil and Mobil 1 extended life filter. I also replaced the air filter with a K&N Air filter. I use the Lucus Fuel treatment on a regular basis. I bought the car new and now it has 62000 miles. The mileage has been crappy since purchase, but I assumed it would get better. Well it hasn't. Any ideas. I also put on a new set of tire about a year ago, they are the Vogue Signature V Black series tires. They use these on high end vehicles, better ride and extremely quite tire. Has anyone gotten this crappie mileage on your Optima hybrid?
I have a 2012 and I get about the same.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have never trusted the on board computer for mileage. With that said it usually isn't that far off but on some cars and trucks it can be off quite a bit. I only mention that because I wanted to make sure we are comparing apples to apples. My wife's 2013 hybrid routinely gets 31 to 35 all city driving. When we have taken it on trips it drops to 27 to 29. The computer is more optimistic and usually says about 3 to 4 mpg higher.

·
Registered
2012 Black SX Prem. & Tech.
2,289 Posts
What I understand about hybrids, is to really get fuel savings, you would engage the electric motor for accelerating and decelerating. So it's good for stop and go traffic, where the battery moves the car from one stoplight to the next (or traffic that moves and stops), but the gas engine is not used that much.

But notice how it's different when you are doing a long trip, you are mostly driving at a constant speed, and not stop and go? That constant speed will use the gas engine to fight against wind resistance constantly during the long trip.

So I wonder if the problem is that your driving usage just generally does not benefit from using a hybrid? Long trips with not much stop and go will see gas usage similar to a straight up gas engine, because you are almost constantly relying on the gas engine of your hybrid for that driving scenario.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts