Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,398 Posts
Hey, it keeps the cylinders lubricated!
Have a $280 Add W1 in the garage for @ 2 years now and never did an install, no problems in the 172,000 miles when the junk engine
was replaced, and so far the same with 30,000 miles on the new engine.

·
Your K5 Optima Vendor
Tesla Model X P100D
28,678 Posts
Love it, just proof they actually work.

Thanks for taking the time to share this with the forum!

·
Registered
2020 Kia Soul X-Line 2.0 MPI
104 Posts
Have a $280 Add W1 in the garage for @ 2 years now and never did an install, no problems in the 172,000 miles when the junk engine was replaced, and so far the same with 30,000 miles on the new engine.
Is 'junk' the correct portrait of an engine that gave you 172,000 miles of service?
Constant engine repairs?

Reactions: Pepi

·
Registered
2018 Kia Optima
1,147 Posts
Have a $280 Add W1 in the garage for @ 2 years now and never did an install, no problems in the 172,000 miles when the junk engine
That's just like saying I have a car alarm that has never been installed in my car for two years now and my car has never been broken into all that time--doesn't mean that a car alarm is a waste of money or otherwise not a practical purchase.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,398 Posts
Is 'junk' the correct portrait of an engine that gave you 172,000 miles of service?
Constant engine repairs?
Yes, with over 2 million miles driven in my lifetime, it's the first engine that burned a qt of oil every 300 miles and needed to be rebuilt/replaced, not including race engines. The most disconcerting, is that mine hasn't been the only engine with troubles as 300,000+ have been replaced including daughter's 2.4 (77,000 miles) and cousins 2.0T (72,0000 miles), now Kia/Hyundai has come out with a smokescreen TSB. JUNK!

Conversely, the '08 Optima 2.4 was one of the best cars I've owned, sold last year with 297,000 miles, minimal problems, actually, the only under hood items that were replaced, alternator (pulley walked off shaft 198,000 miles) and the A/C compressor (destroyed clutch 270,000 miles).

That's just like saying I have a car alarm that has never been installed in my car for two years now and my car has never been broken into all that time--doesn't mean that a car alarm is a waste of money or otherwise not a practical purchase.
That's correct, but both were not needed right?

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The last 'dump' was darker. :giggle: This is from winter driving. A lot of water really. I know some people don't use the Catch Can in the winter due to condensation
Smells worse than puke too. Mines much darker, with alot of sediment on bottom.

·
Registered
2020 Kia Soul X-Line 2.0 MPI
104 Posts
Thsnks for the vehicle history Turbonut.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I was thinking of using one on my '12 SX but I changed to Castrol Edge 5W-40. Little to no oil consumption in past 500 miles. Thanks for all the advice!

·
Your K5 Optima Vendor
Tesla Model X P100D
28,678 Posts
I need to install one on my 2019 Optima 2.4. Had one on my 2014 Hyundai elantra gt...240,000 uber miles and running good when I traded it in..I saved a gallon of gunk from going back thru. pcv configuration
Let us know if we can be of assistance, we have quite a few options available on our website.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,398 Posts
To clear the air, let me add that my comments weren't meant to infer that a catch can shouldn't be installed, or that any negative problems might
occur when installed, except for the possibility of freezing in the winter, depending on the installation location, or an incorrect installation. The dual
unit I purchased, just didn't like or agree with the attachment points so decided to not install the unit.

I did purchase vacuum caps to block off the attachment location I didn't agree with, but got lazy and let it sit, just like the DRL kit I purchased, been
in the garage for years with all the wiring, connections, housings etc. Just getting lazy in my old age.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts