Kia Optima Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently had a key made after I lost the remote. The locksmith said I would eventually need to get a new replacement remote from the dealer because the remote key had the info from my computer in my car and that I could eventually have problems starting my car. I wanted to know if that was correct because my car completely shut off last week when I was driving it. I had my battery checked, alternator, starter, by my mechanic and all those are good. My mechanic said that it could be possible that my car is in safe mode. The car continued to start, and alarm would enable after I stuck the key in the lock prior to the shut down. I just need to know if that is a possibility so I can know where to go from here. I appreciate anything anyone can tell me if they know of anything related to this issue

·
Registered
2012 Black SX Prem. & Tech.
2,145 Posts
Could you rephrase the question?

Or what is the specific problem that is happening? Are you having trouble with the car shutting off? Are you having trouble with the car alarm going off?

·
Registered
2013 Optima LX Bright Silver
9 Posts
I think it might be true because a couple months ago my 2013 elantra had to be towed to the dealer because the first owner put a aftermarket alarm for remote start we were not told or did not come with a diffrent remote. Anyway I put a battery in and had get something out of my optima and the elantra started making weird noises and chirps after I pressed unlock to my optima its not push start its the reguler remote key ignition. I went to go start the elantra as soon as I opened the door the alarm kept going off so I put the key in the ignition and It did not start.

·
Registered
359 Posts
i believe it has to do with the immobilizer. simply making a key will not start the car, but it will turn on.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts