Kia Optima Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a 2012 Optima SXL with 121,000 miles on it. I had the motor replaced at 113,500 when it seized driving down the road. It was covered under the recall for bad motors. I am still under warranty for the motor (12,000 mile). This morning I am driving to work on the highway at 75 mph. Next thing I know my gas pedal is unresponsive for about 5 seconds and I lose power. I pump it a few times and it kicks back in. It does this 3 more times and then the Traction Control light comes on and stays on but I can still drive with acceleration except for the 2 more times it lost power (total of 5 times in 25 minutes).
I was thinking maybe the brake switch was bad or the Traction Control sensor

Anyone else have this problem?
Thoughts on what it could be?

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
At first thought it might be the waste-gate, but when that's incorrect you'd still have power but w/o the turbo. However, as stated no response when using the gas pedal??? Any codes, cel on at the time?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I figured it out. When I was walking out to my car to leave work I noticed the brake lights were on. When I got into the vehicle I pulled the brake pedal up and the lights turned off so I looked a little closer and noticed there was a rubber grommet on the brake pedal that is supposed to hit the little white sensor switch. Well that piece of crap rubber fell apart and would not make a complete connection.
So here is my deduction as to why I was losing power response to the gas pedal for 5 seconds. Since the pedal never made a complete connection to that switch, the switch was under the assumption I was braking but with the wheels still spinning at highway speed the traction control sensor thought I was slipping. When that sensor is activated, (which it did happen because the traction control light on the dash illuminated after the 3rd loss of power in the morning), it stops fuel flow to so you dont power through the slide.
I replaced that rubber grommet with a rubber plug I had in the garage and it works like a charm. If anyone needs a more descriptive explananion with this, let me know and I will take pictures of what I did and post them for you.

Turbonut... Thank you for your help and thoughts!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Well I figured it out. When I was walking out to my car to leave work I noticed the brake lights were on. When I got into the vehicle I pulled the brake pedal up and the lights turned off so I looked a little closer and noticed there was a rubber grommet on the brake pedal that is supposed to hit the little white sensor switch. Well that piece of crap rubber fell apart and would not make a complete connection.
So here is my deduction as to why I was losing power response to the gas pedal for 5 seconds. Since the pedal never made a complete connection to that switch, the switch was under the assumption I was braking but with the wheels still spinning at highway speed the traction control sensor thought I was slipping. When that sensor is activated, (which it did happen because the traction control light on the dash illuminated after the 3rd loss of power in the morning), it stops fuel flow to so you dont power through the slide.
I replaced that rubber grommet with a rubber plug I had in the garage and it works like a charm. If anyone needs a more descriptive explananion with this, let me know and I will take pictures of what I did and post them for you.

Turbonut... Thank you for your help and thoughts!!
This piece of rubber seems to be a low quality and common problem with KIA, they recalled some models to replace this piece. Even though it is a very cheap ($5) and easy fix (1min), the problems it creates are enormous. I have 2012 Optima and had the same problem last week, just quick youtube search shows a lot of people have the same problem. Everyone thinks it is about transmission, engine, fuel pump, ESC.. etc at first, but it is this piece of plastic.

·
Registered
396 Posts

This use of a GM Plastic Furr Clip that is discussed as a better Fix in Post #15 of Thread above matches Your Issue exactly!
If anyone else has the iproblem Watch the video and either try it yourself or ask the Dealer Svc to use the Clip Vs a known-to-Fail rubber grommet.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts